Leicester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (31/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Thought we were pretty good, worried their keeper as much as they worried ours and actually controlled their threat very well, especially when we had the ball a lot and were pushing for a goal as they are a counter attacking side.

Real overreaction to be angry about this one; a draw would have been a fair result.

Payet did his defensive work, he just drifted out of the game at times and his delivery was poor. Wasn't lack of effort, his final ball just wasn't at it today.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

A draw would have been a fair result and a sterner Referee would have had a hatrick of Red Cards one for us and two for them but we lost and that's the end of it.
What is really becoming obvious is how many on here have at last picked up on how poor Noble is. He just hasn't progressed at all this campaign and as sad as it is he should no longer be classed as a starter, the same can be said of Payet.
Where has the Payet of last season or even the Euro's gone.? gone is the slick one time passing around the box to be replaced by runs across the 18 yard line looking for the nudge to give him a freekick to show his deadball skills. Even the corners are now failing to beat the first man.
Hard and illogical as it might seem he may need benching for a while, because he seems to think he's droppable, where as I think Lanzini could play Payets role and bring a bit more energy to a failing front 3.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Well a slightly pessimistic new year thought but Payet is worth offloading now whilst his stock is relatively high and Mr Noble must now be considered bit part , his pace was never good but it is quite painful watching him pirouetting in our mid half and losing possession.A rethink is required, step up Mr Bilic
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

The Counting House turned out to be a nice little boozer. As for the game, I actually thought we looked better today than we did against Swansea. Well worth a point but it was just 'one of those games'.

Onwards and Upwards :crest:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I agree with a lot of comments already made.
We should have had something out of the game. Payet is looking fairly ineffectual to be honest this season.
Crosses, corners, free kicks largely amount to nothing, and his ongoing tactics around the box are wearing thin.
I would be quite happy with just Lanzini as the luxury player and someone like Defoe up with AC.
Get what we can for Payet and move on.
This isn't moaning. I still think we can salvage an average season. It's just that we are carrying one or two that I think we could do without. Bizarrely, even look more solid.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Might have got a point there - but maybe not enough done overall to deserve it. Good game though.
Thought we were poor first half but improved when Lanzini came on. Liked it when we had Antonio up front with Carroll.
Nordveits best game and worst tackle! Mr Taylor favoured us there.

Ogbonna has lost his confidence I believe & is pretty nervy on the ball.

We don't know how to play with AC up front. Makes a difference, but doesn't suit the game plan - which is why we looked better when Sakho played. We need movement up there and channel running.

Must play with no fear next up
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Colours never run wrote:It just doesn't feel right at the minute any way I look at it. Feels like we're just muddling through the season making it up as we go along doing as best we can. That's not necessarily a bad thing short term to stem the tide, as long as there's a philosophy to believe in at the end of it.

Last season had real purpose and a philosophy everyone bought in too, to be solid defensively and to spring in to life on the counter attack attacking with purpose and not keep possession just for the sake of it. I'm struggling to detect one these days and it seems to be decided a bit more on a wing and a prayer relying too much on individual quality, rather than a team ethos.
Agree with all the above, a very sensible post. We are stumbling from one game to the next with no cohesion. We've nicked some points over Christmas which is papering over several cracks. We've played worse than yesterday and picked up 3 points this season so we can't complain about deserving more. I reckon we will stay up on the basis that there are at least 6 teams worse than us, which after last season's adventure is all a bit disappointing.

Mancs up next, red and blue over next 5 days, tough week ahead.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:Dominating possession is not the same as bossing the game .Leicester were happy to see us have the ball for 70 minutes , they deliberately stopped pressing as soon as they took the lead and were happy to retreat into a solid defensive shape and defend their box .

Consequently we didn't work their keeper nearly often enough , we had a few chances but Schmichael was hardly rushed off his feet .Neither was Randolph, but that didn't matter to them as they already had the lead .No need for me to point out where the cross came in from for their goal .Acres of space, all the time in the world :talent without work is nothing .

The first 20 minutes showed Leicester to be much better than us , they were half a yard quicker all over the pitch and could have been 2 up by the time they scored .For my money, Noble had a difficult game , the pace in the opening 20 was a bit too much and I'm personally convinced Kouyates future with us should be at CB .

My main gripe at the minute though is the ongoing lack of bodies in the oppositions box when we are attacking : a 5-1 ratio against us means we're always going to struggle to score .We don't appear to be sure whether we are trying to walk the ball into our opponents goal or launch crosses into the box for multiple players to get on the end of .In the end we do neither .

We're not defending properly and we're not attacking properly .The fact we had a huge amount of the ball isn't really relevant , what is relevant is that when we were in possession Leicester rarely had 2 players in front of the ball .

We had the ball, but they controlled the game .
Totally agree.

We had a period in the middle third of the game where we could have pulled it back, but the first 25 saw us second best all over the park with insufficient intensity in our game and wide open centrally with the pairing of Kouyate and Noble, and then we completely lost our way in the last 25 with a whole set of players introduced who wanted to sit goalside and leave Carroll and Antonio up against an eight man defence.

For all the talk of our flair players - Payet, Lanzini, Feghouli, Ayew - the only one who really troubled Leicester at any time was Antonio. Shame he fluffed the pass for an Ayew tap in.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:We are stumbling from one game to the next with no cohesion. We've nicked some points over Christmas which is papering over several cracks. We've played worse than yesterday and picked up 3 points this season so we can't complain about deserving more.
All true. Prior to yesterday we were not in ten out of twelve points form - frankly it would have been a (lovely, welcome) travesty had we turned that into eleven or thirteen from fifteen.

Whatever way you look at it we are a poor side. The only times I remember us falling so far after a decent season are when we were were in relegation bother after nearly winning the league and then when we did go down after a seventh place under Roeder.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

There's more pressing immediate needs, but in the summer we likely need a whole new central midfield. No-one we presently have can hurt a team either attacking or defending.

Kouyate's skillset going forward looks better suited to playing in defence at least, but Noble for his own good needs immediate benching. He made fewer tackles than Payet against Swansea, and only one yesterday. It's not happening for him. Obiang has an all-round competence, but it's the sort that needs better players around him - he's a cog in a machine type, not someone who can influence play.

The curious thing is we don't seem remotely interested in pure, tackling defensive midfielders. There's been no sign of it for years, despite the huge number of incomings in that time.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Aceface wrote:There's more pressing immediate needs, but in the summer we likely need a whole new central midfield. No-one we presently have can hurt a team either attacking or defending.

Kouyate's skillset going forward looks better suited to playing in defence at least, but Noble for his own good needs immediate benching. He made fewer tackles than Payet against Swansea, and only one yesterday. It's not happening for him. Obiang has an all-round competence, but it's the sort that needs better players around him - he's a cog in a machine type, not someone who can influence play.

The curious thing is we don't seem remotely interested in pure, tackling defensive midfielders. There's been no sign of it for years, despite the huge number of incomings in that time.
We desperately need a player like Alex Song and that was so obvious yesterday, if we'd had Song on the pitch in place of Noble, Antonio in the middle in place of Ayew and Feghouli on the wing the whole team would have looked different.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

I thought we played well yesterday, certainly didn't deserve to lose, although the goal was quality.

Nord gave it everything, but just falls short of being decent. He was spotting a pass but unable to execute it, which was frustrating. His goal saving tackle though was superb

Impressed with Lanzini (at last) when he came on

Noble just reaffirming what I've always thought, too slow and not good enough. He breaks up our own play, whilst his job is to break up the oppositions

Carroll was excellent I thought

Ayew looked lost, not for the first time

Reid was once more, a rock. That boy has come on so much over the years, although his distribution remains a weakness

And lastly, the Counting House was a decent boozer. Good atmosphere, my boys were loving it when the singing got going
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

When Carrol plays, we look to go long even when there is no point to it. He wins a header and because we are so deep there is nobody near to him. Pointless. I liked the two up top in the end with Antonio more central. Antonio is so direct and draws challenges, we should try two up top more often.

Nordshite had a decent game for once.

Noble looks shot.

We need a good footballing centre back.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

We had 23 shots, a better quality player up top than Antonio and we would have got at least a point.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Carroll missed a pretty easy chance as well.

At leat antonio gets himself in decent positions. He can hardly be blamed for us not scoring goals given he has over double the amount of goals anyone else has
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Carroll missed a pretty easy chance as well.

At leat antonio gets himself in decent positions. He can hardly be blamed for us not scoring goals given he has over double the amount of goals anyone else has
Exactly and he hit the bar with an excellent shot from a very difficult position with the ball behind him
Last edited by Harry Hound on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Agree with Chalks sum up of the performance yesterday.

Reid certainly was a rock (again) yesterday, and while I agree that his distribution could be improved, I thought Ogbonnas was even worse - at times he received the ball and immediately went into "hot potato" mode and on several occasions thought he moved the ball on either too strongly or onto the wrong preferred foot of the receiving player so we had to check backwards and start again.

I see The Sun have given Ogbonna a higher rating than Reid for yesterdays game - the latter receiving the same '6' as Mark Noble who performed yesterday like Douglas Bader (that's Douglas Bader after he had dropped one of his legs in for a service and the shop didn't have a courtesy limb they could lend him for the day)! Lanzini failed to impress their reporter too.....

Sun ratings were:
Randolph 7,
Nordberg 7, Ogbonna 7, Reid 6, Cresswell 7
Kouyate 6, Noble 6
Payet 6, Ayew 6, Antonio 6
Carroll 7

subs:
Lanzini 5 (wtf!), Feghouli 6, Fernandes 5
nickkarkie
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Reid a rock? Why didn't he track Slimani for the goal, they were standing side by side and Reid allowed him to run off the back of him, he should have be touch tight and goal side and tracked the run.
nickkarkie
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Our defensive shape is shocking, 2 wingers who don't track back, disjointed midfield with no cover in front of the centre backs, the first 20 minutes were awful, we should have been 3 down, if I was a manager watching that I would have changed it after 5 minutes
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Hard to argue against either of your posts Nick .

An utter shambles .