Leicester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (31/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Re: Leicester City vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by nickkarkie »

the pink palermo wrote:Hard to argue against either of your posts Nick .

An utter shambles .
I completely agree with your Payet posts, he just cannot be bothered to track back and it is leaving us exposed, either play him behind Carroll or sell him. Give me a wide man who works up and down all game rather than one who thinks the game is only played in one direction.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

nickkarkie wrote:Reid a rock? Why didn't he track Slimani for the goal, they were standing side by side and Reid allowed him to run off the back of him, he should have be touch tight and goal side and tracked the run.
Slimani was beyond the far post for the goal, virtually on the angle of the 6 yard box......the full back should have been there.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

No he was not, he finished there but that's not where he started, Reid was marking him on the edge of the box in the middle and Reid then was ballwatching out wide and Slimani ran off behind him, yes the very best fullbacks in the world would have covered around and at least tried to put a much bigger striker off (fullbacks are generally small) but I don't understand why centre backs allow the guy they are marking to get 5 yards on them so easily. Watch Djilobodji yesterday for Sunderland, he was an absolute disgrace for all of Gray's goals.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

No chance was the goal down to the right back. His peeled of Reid as the ball is crossed in. Reid has to track the guy he is marking.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Upminster Hammer wrote:No chance was the goal down to the right back. His peeled of Reid as the ball is crossed in. Reid has to track the guy he is marking.
Thank you. Just for Bubbles let's assume that Demari Gray was making a run at the far post with Nordtveid as well as Slimani running off the back of Reid, is Nordtveit then responsible for both Gray and Slimani? No, the simple fact is that centre backs need to concentrate more and go with the run, it's really not hard, if Chiellini can do it with no pace then Reid can do it with his speed.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

nickkarkie wrote:Our defensive shape is shocking, 2 wingers who don't track back, disjointed midfield with no cover in front of the centre backs, the first 20 minutes were awful, we should have been 3 down, if I was a manager watching that I would have changed it after 5 minutes
Yep agree 100%, someone needs to get them to play and keep a shape and be more disciplined instead of a scatter gun approach .
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

nickkarkie wrote: I completely agree with your Payet posts, he just cannot be bothered to track back and it is leaving us exposed, either play him behind Carroll or sell him. Give me a wide man who works up and down all game rather than one who thinks the game is only played in one direction.
Get a room you 2.

How very Jose Mourihno or BFS of you, wanting a winger to track back all game.

Someone made a great point about Devonshire not doing it.

Build a team around Payet and let him stay up top where he does his business.

And he does track back.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Exactly let him stay up top, just don't put him out wide and expect him to track back. He made one attempt to do it and Albrighton still got the cross in and they hit the post. I'd rather not have him those positions as it stifles his creativity but also leaves us exposed at the back.
carnage

Post by carnage »

nickkarkie wrote:Exactly let him stay up top, just don't put him out wide and expect him to track back. He made one attempt to do it and Albrighton still got the cross in and they hit the post. I'd rather not have him those positions as it stifles his creativity but also leaves us exposed at the back.

I don't expect him to track back, and maybe Slaven doesn't either.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Good for you, we will keep conceding goals down both flanks with two very talented wingers who don't understand the role of being a wide man. If the best team in the world expect their wide men to track back (Barcelona philosophy) then it's safe to say there is no such thing as a luxury player. Messi Suarez and Neymar work there nuts off getting the ball back, it's the job of being a professional footballer.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Yes they do, in the opposition half, you rarely if ever see any of those on top of their left back.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

So if you want a successful team then you either press high with players who are suited for that style, i.e. fast defenders, hard working forwards and aggressive and agile midfielders or you sit deepers and have pace on the wings and up front and defenders that are good in the air. We are in between the two styles, we have no shape and seemingly no gameplan.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

albrighton hit it first time so tracking him wouldn't have made much of a difference. slimani already had the thrusters on and was going to outjump reid thanks to that.

we've let in a lot of terrible goals this season, yesterday wasn't one of them.
carnage

Post by carnage »

We pressed higher up the pitch last year, this year the players are dropping back more which probably comes from a lack of concidence in the back 4 and goalkeeper.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

There's always an excuse, and Slimani was trotting before he ran to the back post, Reid turned his back and that's when he sprinted off him. Albrighton should not have had a free run to make a first time cross, you are not doing your job as a team if you allow that to happen .
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

carnage wrote:We pressed higher up the pitch last year, this year the players are dropping back more which probably comes from a lack of concidence in the back 4 and goalkeeper.
Then Slav should address it.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Based on some of the other away games this season (or most of them) I thought that was one of our better performances. On another day that Antonio shot goes in instead of hitting the bar and we come home with a point. Lets not get greedy, we were VERY lucky against Hull and Burnley at home so perhaps things evened themselves out a bit yesterday. We have still won 3 in 4 which is bloody decent. I've seen West Ham play much worse than that many times in away games over the years. It was, for the most part, a pretty good game of football that just didn't go our way.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Beavis Danzig wrote:albrighton hit it first time so tracking him wouldn't have made much of a difference. slimani already had the thrusters on and was going to outjump reid thanks to that.

we've let in a lot of terrible goals this season, yesterday wasn't one of them.
Agreed. I didn't realise until I saw it on TV just how good that cross was. It would've troubled any defence.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

nickkarkie wrote:Good for you, we will keep conceding goals down both flanks with two very talented wingers who don't understand the role of being a wide man. If the best team in the world expect their wide men to track back (Barcelona philosophy) then it's safe to say there is no such thing as a luxury player. Messi Suarez and Neymar work there nuts off getting the ball back, it's the job of being a professional footballer.
There's a difference between playing a high pressing game and having your talented playmakers track back.

We shouldn't be asking Payet to track back all of the time as we don't want him to be knackered after 60 minutes.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The idea that a centre back should follow a striker everywhere he runs is fanciful to say the least.

Centre forwards almost always try to peel off into the full back area which is what Slimani did twice early in the game yesterday. On the first occasion, Nordtveit was actually inside him.