FAC3: West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (06/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: West Ham United V Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

TheHandOfDog wrote:It just makes me depressed. I enjoy watching football in general and I probably watch a good few games a month but I swear it's only West Ham this season that just goes down without a fight. I wish we had half the attitude that we had last season or better yet, half the attitude of Bournemouth. Their games against Liverpool and Arsenal is something for us to dream about this season. Eddie Howe in please.

Together with most of the Bournemouth team. They at least would have made more of a game of that han our Lilly livered lot
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

MorthwylMawr wrote:Anyone else looking forward to the email about how we now need a reaction and that we're working hard on the training ground?
"Have you got anything without spam?"
"Well, the spam, eggs, sausage and spam. That's not got much spam in it".

The only plus for me tonight would be if somehow that televised humiliating performance, together with the drab and soulless stadium, hits the 3 stooges where it hurts them the most - by lowering their great new 'brand' stock value further - but I doubt it.

Continues to look like the team are playing away each week and are completely lost in strange surroundings. We just haven't got the class or pace to cope with any side who can chase, close down and run in behind us.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Just heard it was Spiderman on the pitch,

Spider-Man Spider-Man does what ever a spider can, plays up front for West Ham :raver:
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

TheHandOfDog wrote:It just makes me depressed. I enjoy watching football in general and I probably watch a good few games a month but I swear it's only West Ham this season that just goes down without a fight. I wish we had half the attitude that we had last season or better yet, half the attitude of Bournemouth. Their games against Liverpool and Arsenal is something for us to dream about this season. Eddie Howe in please.
This is the point. I like Bilic and I think our board are shocking, but there are teams with seemingly far less gifted players playing for them (Burnley, Bournemouth, Boro - even the likes of Stoke with players like Grant, Walters, Crouch and other journeymen) who manage to put up much more fight than we have seen from our pampered prima donnas this season. We will see lower league sides put up far better resistance against top teams than we did tonight. Organisation and effort can overcome differences in class to a certain extent.

It is disappointing and unacceptable for a team with our resources to capitulate as we did.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Reid played well, Obiang and Lanzini tried (even though looking knackered), Fernandes put in a shift , Nordvelt persevered but no chance against Sterling, Noble and Payet did better when they came on. Tactics rubbish because having AC alone up top was asking for trouble. City's biggest weakness is their defence but we decided to give the back four as much time as they needed to support their midfield and attacks. Feghoulli is definitely not PL status and Bilic is right when he said "he rarely tackles" and looks really pedestrian. Even 7 yard passes were beyond some of our players, especially a rank out of form Cresswell. We were mentally fragile and frightened to death of a Man City side that steamrollered us without breaking into a sweat.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I don't know why you guys are so down on tonight. I had a great time. Was the equivalent of seeing a stand up comedian, especially second half with Feghouli and Nordtveit down my side strutting their oh so impressive stuff. I sat next to a lovely girl who I've not seen in years and my nan and dad were there as well. I also drank some ale. Textbook West Ham experience.

Anyone unprepared for the outcome after seeing the two lineups is frankly, deluded.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Not my best evening, although I enjoyed a rather fine pasty at Waterloo station.

Still, this is West Ham. We do this sort of thing.

Onwards and upwards.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I gave up at 4-0. I decided that going to buy a screw extractor and then fixing my daughter's car with an outside temperature of 10F was a better use of time.

Not for the first time this season we've done the concede a goal and then give up bit and it's getting rather tiresome.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

btajim - mcfc wrote:Bielsa is an incredible character and would've been a fantastic addition to the Premier League. I suppose their thinking was that Bilic was a former Hammer whose fans would largely back. I liked his Croatia and Besiktas teams.

For what it's worth, I think West Ham were in it right up until the penalty. I wasn't expecting this. You'll see my first post in this thread was predicting a 2-1 win. One day I sincerely hope West Ham fans get the success they deserve. You need to move out of the shadows of your London rivals and be a force in your own right.

I'll disappear now and leave you to the post mortem.
Doff cap James. Please don't be a stranger. This site would be a lot worse off without your pragmatism.
Elmo'sIronBorn

Post by Elmo'sIronBorn »

To the fans in the corner :raver: that's the way to do it!!!
ludo22
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

fjthegrey wrote:I don't know why you guys are so down on tonight. I had a great time. Was the equivalent of seeing a stand up comedian, especially second half with Feghouli and Nordtveit down my side strutting their oh so impressive stuff. I sat next to a lovely girl who I've not seen in years and my nan and dad were there as well. I also drank some ale. Textbook West Ham experience.

Anyone unprepared for the outcome after seeing the two lineups is frankly, deluded.
Who would you have started?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Elmo'sIronBorn wrote:To the fans in the corner :raver: that's the way to do it!!!
Said it in an earlier post but I really enjoyed tonight, first time in that stadium where it felt like I was back on the STBL.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

ludo22 wrote:Who would you have started?
I think our best player and captain could have contributed something, personally.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Hearing that the doors were locked AGAIN tonight with supporters struggling to get out of the ground.
ludo22
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

fjthegrey wrote: I think our best player and captain could have contributed something, personally.
Maybe Payet but Noble has been garbage.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Oh Christina Daily, you are the love of my life..

He's here he's there, he's every ****ing where, John moncur, John moncur

You put your left leg in, your left leg out...

Let's pretend we've scored a goal.

Billy Bonds/johnny lyals/Greenwood's claret and blue army

Super, super Tom, super Tommy repka

Block 130 was determined to enjoy ourselves tonight. Proper West Ham atmosphere whilst losing 4 and 5-0
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Only a maybe on Payet.

OK then.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

Claretdave wrote:Not my best evening, although I enjoyed a rather fine pasty at Waterloo station.

Still, this is West Ham. We do this sort of thing.

Onwards and upwards.
Damn you Claretdave, pasties had just sold out as I got there.
Highlight of the night was Spider-Man and his mate.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just got in. As predicted on page one of this thread, this time a penalty instead of a sending off. He couldn't blow his whistle quick enough. If anyone thinks we get that same penalty away at one of the Sky 6 then you're very naive. Last season was a brief quirk that has been quickly fixed by the powers that be. Man City, Man Utd etc all spend hundreds of £millions yet still get all the extra help. It's so boring and predictable :thdn:
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

sjb958 wrote:Hearing that the doors were locked AGAIN tonight with supporters struggling to get out of the ground.
Good. Should only be opened near the end of the match (unless a mass evacuation) to keep the part time ****ers in and supporting the team!