Middlesbrough 1-3 West Ham United (21/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Re: Middlesbrough V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Sir_Trevor »

hammerman11 wrote: They play palace away in the cup the weekend before so hopefully they get a rough game and a few injuries. Would take a draw.
Hmm... let's see now. A struggling BFS team... against Man C... in the cup... in January - yes, I'm sure he'll be putting out his strongest team and giving them a real test! :wink:
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

leveller wrote:Only trouble I noticed all day was Middlesbrough knocking one of their own fans out in retaliation to us scoring which was frankly bizarre, was wondering if it was going to happen again after our second goal!! And after the game some moron muttering something about cockneys, barging into me as hard as he obviously could have done, recoiling off of me as I was taller and heavier than him and then promptly scarpering off again.

Aside from those isolated incidents I didn't see any trouble personally. I thought the stewards and police were some of the most friendly and respectful I've seen at an away game, or a home game in the last few months come to think of it. That's in stark contrast to going up there a few years ago, being harrased about standing all game and having a police video camera pointed at me for refusing to comply to with what wasn't a police issue. But it does say something when you can go away from home and feel better treated. The atmosphere inside the ground was top notch but then it was a proper football ground.

I saw that incident in the ground when we scored our first goal. It looked like there was one of ours in there giving it a little celebration( not the brightest on moves). I saw some firsts flying then this one lad charge down and spark another clean out, no idea if he was with the one that celebrated or just in the wrong place!!
The Hammer was lead out a few minutes later but didn't see what happened to the lad on the receiving end.

Didn't witness any trouble outside as we walked back to the car park but there was certainly a hostile feeling in the air yesterday. Yep I may be biased but we also got a warm welcome from a couple of coppers as we walked to the ground. My daughter was on duty 1-1 yesterday and I look forward to her account of the well behaved West Ham support!

Great day and a great result with the big fella in great form again, onwards and upwards.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Just watching MOTD back and I cannot believe no one has talked about that late horror tackle on Noble! That's twice away from home that's happened to him.

That Bernardo fella needs to see a doctor because his head ain't right! Bloke is a walking red card & as bad a defender as I've seen this season.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Their kit looks *****. I mean really, really *****.
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

Dunno whether its been mentioned but there were 21 West Ham passes leading up to the second goal with only the keeper getting a hand on it before Carroll buried it.
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

wasserburg_hammer wrote:Their kit looks *****. I mean really, really *****.
it looks like it has a miss world sash on it that has slipped to far down the shirt, bit like them in the league
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

fmgod wrote:Cresswell miss is mental, god knows what he was doing. Thank god that wasn't vital

We look a team again to me, playing for one another, happy etc
Another left back that just will not use his right foot - there are SO many of them

That clearance was a right footed clearance, thus kicking the ball away from the goal, all day long.
only1post
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by only1post »

Obiang owes Randolph a pint.
He should never have allowed that header for there only other attempt on target, when it was 2 -1.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Middlesbrough
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130705
Estuary
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

southendmadhammer wrote:How did Cresswell play in general? From the highlights looked as though attack-wise he played well. Defensively?
Not to well defensively, but he had very little cover and his winger was faster than Billy Wizz on a motorbike, Slaven hauled Antonio back in the second half to cover, but decent enough when attacking.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Just back home, brilliant day yesterday thought we put in a real shift.
Lanzini looks like he is stepping upto the plate perfectly and Carroll was absolutely unplayable, MOTM by a mile for me. Both defensively and offensively

Few people getting picked off outside the ground as we left and pretty hostile at the station, it was a proper away day! Fans were top drawer again

And that Antonio song to the tune of salt n pepper 'push it' is a thing of beauty!! :crest:
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Middlesbrough
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130705
Cheers UTJ. I always enjoy reading TOV.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Kitt the car wrote:[

Byram was put in a situation he shouldn't have been in, he came more central for the cross as there was a runner moving into that area of the box and there were no CB's there. If he had picked up his man (the scorer) there would have been a free Boro player in the centre of our box to receive that cross instead. Eitherway, Byram would have been trying to pick up one player whilst there was another free in the box.

If Ogbonna ran back towards the goal, picking up the central runner, instead of being drawn to the ball, Byram could have moved across to pick up his man.
Was Ogbonna the right sided centre back? I would have said that was Reid. And even if not then isn't he Rye one who organises the back 4. Easy to target Ogbonna as he often looks a bit clumsy. But n9t sure it is r9ghtthis time.
Kialos
Has liked: 1557 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

The team are much more united now.

We deserved the win, Carroll was absolutely brilliant both in attack and defence. There was a significant drop in quality when he left the field. However we need to sort our decision making under pressure out. The number of times two panicking West Ham players were going for the same ball and getting in each others way towards the end of the game was ridiculous.

Byram and Randolph's "you, no after you" routine was one to savour as well.

Overall I thought the ref had a pretty good game and fair to both sides.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 2917 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I don't think Boro are that bad a side really , they're in that awkward too good for the Championship but struggling in the top flight zone .

I've a lot of time for their Chairman , and I'd be happy to see them stay up .
Kialos wrote:The team are much more united now.
Ain't we just .
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Good day out and thought we played well, should of had 2 penalties and missed a handful of decent chances. Saying that I thought the ref had a decent game and let the game flow well although I was concerned for Lanzini as he got ironed out a good 3 or 4 times.

The only negative on our side for me was Byram, he simply is not good enough or mature enough to play in our first team. Had their left back not been so **** they really would have caused us severe problems down our right had side with Traore. Would be great to get a proper RB in or even play Fernandes there.

Three players who stood out for me were Obiang, Reid and Lanzini.

Great atmosphere, shame we didn't take the 3000.

One of the boro lot got absolutely sparked out after our first goal.......
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Cracking weekend all round! Dr Browns was awesome and the game was top drawer. Really thought we'd fluffed that third goal up but luckily we had a second bite at the cherry and Calleri was in the right place at the right time. I thought that drum/speaker thing in the home end was bloody annoying! Reid was solid, Andy Carroll was everywhere and, as others have said, it was nice to see so many white shirts in their box on more than one occasion. Cracking result. Well done Slav and the boys.

Top half! Who'd have thunk it after the 1-5 loss to Arsenal not so long ago?!

Onwards and Upwards :crest:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Aycliffe wrote:.

Didn't witness any trouble outside as we walked back to the car park but there was certainly a hostile feeling in the air yesterday. Yep I may be biased but we also got a warm welcome from a couple of coppers as we walked to the ground. My daughter was on duty 1-1 yesterday and I look forward to her account of the well behaved West Ham support!

Great day and a great result with the big fella in great form again, onwards and upwards.
Well tell her from me that their performance today was shocking....I actually think the Cleveland Plod wanted our fans to get done over yesterday after the game.

As you Northern chaps call it.....Chunky !

The plod totally lost it....and the Boro fans didn't cover themselves in glory either. There's is a difference between revenge and cowardly bullying.

Worst i've personally seen for a few years...interested to hear what your daughter has heard.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by danm79 »

Romford wrote:
Well tell her from me that their performance today was shocking....I actually think the Cleveland Plod wanted our fans to get done over yesterday after the game.

As you Northern chaps call it.....Chunky !

The plod totally lost it....and the Boro fans didn't cover themselves in glory either. There's is a difference between revenge and cowardly bullying.

Worst i've personally seen for a few years...interested to hear what your daughter has heard.
Have to say I thought the group of Boro fans that were allowed to wait and taunt us on the walk past the stadium back towards the stadium was nothing short of shocking, zero Police to be seen.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

danm79 wrote:
Have to say I thought the group of Boro fans that were allowed to wait and taunt us on the walk past the stadium back towards the stadium was nothing short of shocking, zero Police to be seen.
I saw 2 WHU fans going down and 20+ kicking them on the floor...2 seperate incidents within 20 yards right outside the ground. I tried to help and it was just chaos....then the group with the knives further down before you went under the main bridge towards the subway.

David Blunkett knew that it was going to go....and where. I must of saw half a dozen fans not firm take clumps from behind....one big lump had a go at me and gave it all the "Stabbed our fans" caper and when i told him he was doing just as bad attacking normal fans not looking for it he just replied "You aren't wearing colours, you are fair game" I pointed out a fan wearing a WHU top with a copper with claret all over the side of his face !!

:asleep: