Middlesbrough 1-3 West Ham United (21/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Re: Middlesbrough V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Oldun »

Will any of those Boro fans go down ,just like the 6 West Ham just have.
Or will it like the Arse fans involved in the same incident,nothing.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Oldun wrote:Will any of those Boro fans go down ,just like the 6 West Ham just have.
Quite. Just like the Anderlecht case last week.

I act for one of ours and also know another one of them well.

I won't say anymore cos it's a live case but when I can I will.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Oldun wrote:Will any of those Boro fans go down ,just like the 6 West Ham just have.
The only things that have gone down is my respect for certain Boro fans (obviously not all) , our Spotters who saw exactly what I saw and the Cleveland Plod who allowed it to happen.

It wasn't some organised scrap away from the ground...

FWIW...I also thought that those who attacked the Boro coaches outside our place were just as bad too.
brun61

Post by brun61 »

Me & my mate walked ,well limped back to the station via going behind their stand, a lot of shouting, punches thrown & general bravado from them, seen someone get slapped got told it was one of ours, not a bloke looking for trouble, even some older borough fans said it was out of order, all while no old bill in sight, borough lot lined up across the road waiting for our lot who by now had grouped up, still no plod, basically plod only got involved when our fans got together and were giving it back, kept us up the road from the station while they moved the locals away, got to say they were mostly younger lads picking on ones, twos or small numbers, not a lot of bottle when ours got together, defiantly one of the more lively away's I've been to for a while, all adds up to a repeat next time they come to us
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Walking back to the station, we kept our heads down, the Boro lot were out near the south stand near a bridge sizing up any West Ham they could find:

Few West Ham walking down from our stand chanting and then they clashed. Not sure of the outcome..

Was definitely a lot of hostility in the air.

Couldn't wait to get out of there, felt like every bloke I walked past was after one of our lot.

Bigger ****hole than Hull and that's saying something!
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Romford

Strange reading all the different accounts Romford as I was just giving mine that we saw plenty of old bill going and leaving the ground. Can’t go along with your feeling that the Cleveland plod wanted our fans to get done after the game!

As you Northern chaps........ been up here 21 years mate but my London accent is still loud and proud, we actually met a few years back in a pub in Boro when you got me and my lads tickets for the game, don’t know if you remember?

As she has been on nights I only had a quickest conversation with her yesterday afternoon. She wasn’t actually stationed at the game but around the town. The only incident she told me about was that it kicked off at the Jury’s Inn late on Saturday night between some West Ham fans staying there and some locals, only ones that got nicked were the locals apparently!

I will certainly pass on yours and other negative comments to feedback as I had passed on levellers positive comments about the plod and stewards.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Aycliffe wrote:Romford

Strange reading all the different accounts Romford as I was just giving mine that we saw plenty of old bill going and leaving the ground. Can’t go along with your feeling that the Cleveland plod wanted our fans to get done after the game!

As you Northern chaps........ been up here 21 years mate but my London accent is still loud and proud, we actually met a few years back in a pub in Boro when you got me and my lads tickets for the game, don’t know if you remember?

As she has been on nights I only had a quickest conversation with her yesterday afternoon. She wasn’t actually stationed at the game but around the town. The only incident she told me about was that it kicked off at the Jury’s Inn late on Saturday night between some West Ham fans staying there and some locals, only ones that got nicked were the locals apparently!

I will certainly pass on yours and other negative comments to feedback as I had passed on levellers positive comments about the plod and stewards.
Remember it well....The Star :wink:

I just thought it was all very odd that the place i knew there would be issues was where they were waiting and not one copper was there.

There will always be side issues and flare ups for those who stayed.....but right outside the away end and the walk to the station should be well poilced for obvious reasons. It wasn't...and only they can give reasons why.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by Bill »

The closest thing to bother I saw was when a pissed West Ham fan in his mid 20s was staggering around singing "Irons, Irons" as we left and seemed to be falling into people, and a few Boro fans in their 30s and 40s seemed to fancy a go, but got pulled away by more sensible mates of theirs. Tbh the West Ham fan was a bit of a plonker given we'd just beaten them after what happened at our place.

Even though I live just outside Boro and work in the town about 10 mins from the ground I was so overjoyed with the win that I just followed the crowd and ended up walking in totally the wrong direction in the dark chatting to my son. I only realised what I'd done when the crowd thinned out and I was virtually in the **** hole known as South Bank! :lol:

We then turned round and had to walk about 15 minutes just to end up back outside the ground next to the Navigation Pub. We then walked the proper way back through the tunnel under the A66 and didn't encounter any problems at all.
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

Could sense it in the air when we left the ground, had my boy with me so I just made sure we got a move on and get back to the station, didn't see much of note along the way.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

Could sense the hostility on telly even.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

europeanscum wrote:Could sense the hostility on telly even.

Especially when they scored, you saw all their fans every corner of the ground giving it fingers hahaha
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Romford wrote:

Remember it well....The Star :wink:

I just thought it was all very odd that the place i knew there would be issues was where they were waiting and not one copper was there.

There will always be side issues and flare ups for those who stayed.....but right outside the away end and the walk to the station should be well policed for obvious reasons. It wasn't...and only they can give reasons why.

The Star that rings a bell, I actually saw you on Saturday when you walked pass my seat at the front of block 47, I was going to give you a shout but didn’t know if you would remember me. Did you see all the fuss and pictures being taken of a fella just after half time? Apparently it was Lanzini’s old man who was in with the away support!

We just slipped in with all the people heading back into town as we were parked in the Zetland car park. Me and my mate kept it quiet but my 2 lads chatted away ok as they have Northern twangs. When we left I saw a few of our younger ones singing away happily and I did worry whether they might find themselves confronted by a few of the Boro lot.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Aycliffe wrote:
The Star that rings a bell, I actually saw you on Saturday when you walked pass my seat at the front of block 47, I was going to give you a shout but didn’t know if you would remember me. Did you see all the fuss and pictures being taken of a fella just after half time? Apparently it was Lanzini’s old man who was in with the away support!

We just slipped in with all the people heading back into town as we were parked in the Zetland car park. Me and my mate kept it quiet but my 2 lads chatted away ok as they have Northern twangs. When we left I saw a few of our younger ones singing away happily and I did worry whether they might find themselves confronted by a few of the Boro lot.
You should have introduced yourself ... :thup:

Lanzini's old man was sitting next to my mate...so it wasn't him.

They were NOT interested in policing the natives....all through the game the only place the Plod watched was our support. Then to let them (Boro) prepare and wait for easy targets was totally unacceptable.

It's the most i've had to be on my toes for donkeys....the sense's were picking everyone up as a hazard. I did have my boy and his mates so i was probably slower than i usually am but i knew there was going to be big trouble and i tried as hard as i could to help others.

Something the Cleveland Plod was being paid to do...
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

I drove up with my (12yo) lad on board and we parked the other side of the A66 which was quite handy before the game but not great to escape afterwards and didn't get onto the main road until nearly 6pm - just in time for Craig Charles on Radio 6.....

With regard to the Boro support, I thought their manager was a bit disingenuous and thought they made a fair racket throughout although you can't really blame them for making for the exits after the third went in on 94 minutes...

As for outside, it had been publicised it might be lively and there were pockets of them hanging around on the road outside our end who certainly appeared to be up for it. However, we had no colours on show and were walking away from the station so didn't encounter any problems. There was a fair size mob near the Navigation pub (around 200m from the ground) at the level crossing who did appear to be grouping up but no idea if they got up to any mischief.

However, outside the usual suspects in London, I would suggest it was the wariest I have been at an away game for many a year (probably since Leeds in the Fizz). Still, that made the victory even sweeter.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

[quote="Romford"][/quote]
They were NOT interested in policing the natives....all through the game the only place the Plod watched was our support. Then to let them (Boro) prepare and wait for easy targets was totally unacceptable./quote]

Spoke to a couple on the way back to the station and they were really helpfull.

One officer even sorted out a lift for Paul in one of there vans as he could barely walk :thup:
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Some news here about altercations
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... t-12493652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

I thought we would have had "more" up there for this, given it was common knowledge what they were planning...
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Nothing about coins and bottles being thrown into our end funnily enough...
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

We can expect the same from Sunderland I understand.
hornchurch_hammer80

Post by hornchurch_hammer80 »

The old bill were a joke before the game. One young lad in our group got a slap from behind by a boro prick. It went off a bit as you can expect and we pointed out the geezer that did it. All they were interesting in doing was stopping us and letting the b*stard get away with it... when I was complaining later the response I got was... well the boro fans weren't happy with policing at your ground what do you expect.... I was bloody fuming after that... so glad we won as that made us feel much better.