Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by ChzMff »

bubbles1966 wrote:We're roughing up the bottom half, especially the bottom six - yet getting thrashed constantly by the top 6/7.
Draws at Old Trafford and Anfield. Last minute defeats at Chelsea and Spurs. Would hardly call that getting constantly thrashed.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Well we're certainly getting thrashed at home. Every visitor will fancy their chances and I still can't believe we got six points from Burnley and Hull! But we did thank gawd.......................................... :?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I just realised, we haven't been lied to at all!
they said we would have a squad that would be fitting for the stadium, and here we are
the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

Ha ha ha, I hadn't looked at it that way Ben, sh#t team for a sh#t stadium.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Ben wrote:Don't worry guys loads of people on here said its all fine and we did good business :thup:
Let's not pretend we could have done any business that could have changed the result last night - we got ripped apart in every department. We'd have needed to sign eleven World Class players in the past month to have really stood a chance against City playing that well.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I'm talking about since we moved to the bowl.
I can handle losing to City, but it would have been nice to put up a fight, have a ready right back and maybe a plan b striker...
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

YorksHammer wrote:. We'd have needed to sign eleven World Class players in the past month to have really stood a chance against City playing that well.
11 players that could actually be bothered to put a shift in would do,
other teams have played city and put a bit of effort in and came away with a result,
That's the thing that annoys me most about West ham, I've seen games were we have pulled our tripe out, worked really hard, chased every lost cause, thrown ourselves in front of every ball, run our socks off and put in a performance that the fans can be proud of,
We CAN do it and I've seen us do it, last night wasn't one of those occasions
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Jinxed wrote:I still can't believe that some of us are accepting and even agreeing that there was no suitable right back available
Suits the argument

And Bilic stated that he was happy with the players he had and wanted to save money until the Summer

Of ****ing course he did :lol:

Its like North ****ing Korea following WHU
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Ben wrote:Don't worry guys loads of people on here said its all fine and we did good business :thup:
YorksHammer wrote:
Let's not pretend we could have done any business that could have changed the result last night - we got ripped apart in every department. We'd have needed to sign eleven World Class players in the past month to have really stood a chance against City playing that well.
Apologies for being blunt, but that's nonsense. Our bench last night was an utter disgrace for a Premier League team (even more so for one playing in a 60 000 seater stadium). There was nothing of real Premier league standard on that bench after Snodgrass. Much as I like Fernandes, he is not looking like affecting games just yet. If Snoddy now comes into the starting 11, as he should, it will look even worse. Having nothing on the bench must foster complacency in the players not on song and disillusionment in the ones who are trying but have noone to support them.

I don't understand why we didn't just go for Hogan. It would have at least given us some frisson of excitement over a new player up front. And, as others have said, if it didn't work out, we could have sold him back to the Championship for a small loss (probably less than the cost of Zaza's loan and wages).

City looked so good only because we were so poor - plenty of other teams have given them a game and few have been demolished (twice) like we were. (They left several of their best players on the bench ffs, having played a stronger team in the cup!) I don't think anyone would have been complaining if we had lost even 1-3 or similar, if we had at least given it a go and looked like we were in the game at any point.

Our best spell of the match came after Snodgrass came on. If we could have brought on Hogan, we could have moved Antonio back to bolster our out-muscled and outpaced midfield. And a decent RB cover, could have shored up the defence. We may have been 0-3 down by half-time, but, those changes may have stopped the 4th and we may have even got one ourselves. Who knows what could have happened then? As I said, in any event 1-3 is far less demoralising than 0-4.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Sir_Trevor wrote:
Apologies for being blunt, but that's nonsense. Our bench last night was an utter disgrace for a Premier League team (even more so for one playing in a 60 000 seater stadium). There was nothing of real Premier league standard on that bench after Snodgrass. Much as I like Fernandes, he is not looking like affecting games just yet. If Snoddy now comes into the starting 11, as he should, it will look even worse. Having nothing on the bench must foster complacency in the players not on song and disillusionment in the ones who are trying but have noone to support them.

I don't understand why we didn't just go for Hogan. It would have at least given us some frisson of excitement over a new player up front. And, as others have said, if it didn't work out, we could have sold him back to the Championship for a small loss (probably less than the cost of Zaza's loan and wages).

City looked so good only because we were so poor - plenty of other teams have given them a game and few have been demolished (twice) like we were. (They left several of their best players on the bench ffs, having played a stronger team in the cup!) I don't think anyone would have been complaining if we had lost even 1-3 or similar, if we had at least given it a go and looked like we were in the game at any point.

Our best spell of the match came after Snodgrass came on. If we could have brought on Hogan, we could have moved Antonio back to bolster our out-muscled and outpaced midfield. And a decent RB cover, could have shored up the defence. We may have been 0-3 down by half-time, but, those changes may have stopped the 4th and we may have even got one ourselves. Who knows what could have happened then? As I said, in any event 1-3 is far less demoralising than 0-4.

Well said mate and FFS I know their home form has been nothing short of fantastic, but even Burnley beat them and that puts our pathetic and shameful display against them in its rightful place
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

So....before the next transfer window opens, I wonder how many people will allow themselves to be mugged off by paying for their ST before we know how much the owners will really invest in the squad? I doubt many will wait beyond the the deadlines that Brady sets....just to get a good seat to watch more mediocrity in the next level era.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Gerblatz wrote:So....before the next transfer window opens, I wonder how many people will allow themselves to be mugged off by paying for their ST before we know how much the owners will really invest in the squad? I doubt many will wait beyond the the deadlines that Brady sets....just to get a good seat to watch more mediocrity in the next level era.
Season tickets will not sell out, no chance.

You'll be able to buy tickets for any game you want next season, unless we bought real quality in the summer and there was a late scramble for season tickets.

So with that in mind, you'll be able to buy tickets for any game....!!
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Burnley never beat them?? :eh:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Gerblatz wrote:So....before the next transfer window opens, I wonder how many people will allow themselves to be mugged off by paying for their ST before we know how much the owners will really invest in the squad? I doubt many will wait beyond the the deadlines that Brady sets....just to get a good seat to watch more mediocrity in the next level era.
My guess

Season ticket renewals will be awful

The three muppets will look at each other in disbelief that the loyal fans haven't renewed

Season ticket renewal will be extended

They will panic leading to us signing another 20m+ player

Then follow it up with a load of leaks linking us to half a dozen more 20m+ players claiming deals are close

Fans start to renew thinking they have turned over a new leaf of spending

Renewal deadline passes

Links and leaks dry up

Sign a load of freebies, loans and punts

Sell Cresswell to Liverpool on deadline day, recouping the 20m for the original player

Job done
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

sgb1972 wrote:
Season tickets will not sell out, no chance.

You'll be able to buy tickets for any game you want next season, unless we bought real quality in the summer and there was a late scramble for season tickets.

Yes.....I would like to see ST sales on their knees so that they are giving them away with signed shirts for young kids at the turnstiles come August...after this season even the daytrippers will feel like they have been shafted.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

ChzMff wrote:Draws at Old Trafford and Anfield. Last minute defeats at Chelsea and Spurs. Would hardly call that getting constantly thrashed.
In the last two months we've been done up 1-4, 1-5, 0-5, 0-4.

It might not be every game, but it's getting close.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

DannyboyDJL wrote:I don't really understand what you are getting at. Are you saying...
I'm saying what I said, Dan. That I continue to disagree with you regarding a post-Payet revival. Time will tell.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

sgb1972 wrote: Season tickets will not sell out, no chance.

This is what makes me so angry. If we were to have any chance of 'the next level', this was our big chance - a brand new 60 000 seater stadium, season tickets sold out at record levels. What was needed was real investment in the team to provide a "team worthy of the stadium."

A season of exciting football, orchestrated by an enthused Dimitri Payet, playing to big crowds, generating a good atmosphere, not necessarily winning anything straight away, but getting some good results with decent performances. Those season tickets could have been sold out again for several years to come to establish ourselves as a force in the Premier League.

But that may have been a once in a lifetime opportunity, which has now been lost forever. They had everything in their favour - a stadium gifted on the cheap, the sale of our old plot of prime real estate land and the massive TV money payout. On top of this, we had one of the most talked about, exciting players in the world at the time, who we had picked up at a bargain price. Everything on. a. plate. And they have completely f@cked it up. Although, I doubt they see it like that, as they are happy with the killing they have made already. Shysters.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Sir Trevor - I like many think you're bang on, really well summed up.

However, we're now the 18th/19th richest club in the world, the owners are charging 6 or 7% interest on their loans, paying a pittance for the stadium, they are having it off. And they will one day in the near future sell up and make a fortune.

So in their eyes, whose right and whose wrong?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Bilic

The 1st manager ever to turn down the chance to buy players.

Allegedly