Today i bumped into...

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: Today i bumped into...

Post by Big George »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Met Tony Cottee briefly on Friday night in Leigh.

Nice chap, told him my first game was 3-2 v Forest in 88, the night of his far post scissor kick, he asked what was better, his or Carroll's - I said to get a photo first then we both said "Carroll's" at the same time and laughed.

I then went on to piss him off about 20mins later by having a friendly pop at him about joining Everton. Image

Didn't go down well, despite my assurances that it was indeed tongue in cheek and an apology. I imagine it hit a nerve a bit as he's probably genuinely received some stick in the past and he was convinced it was a dig.

Oh well.
I'd have meant it
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I was only 7 when he left, so I didn't really have all of the info to really give him some jip.

Felt a bit sorry for him as it goes; he looked like he really took it to heart!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I was only 7 when he left, so I didn't really have all of the info to really give him some jip.

An Everton mate told that he wasn't popular up there at all for some reason, despite being top scorer for his first season.
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big George

Post by Big George »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I was only 7 when he left, so I didn't really have all of the info to really give him some jip.

so did we when he left us at the start (I think) of the 88-89 relegation season,

He was a great player and a West Ham legend but the way he conducted himself in the run up to his move will always leave a slightly sour taste
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Big George wrote:so did we when he left us at the start (I think) of the 88-89 relegation season,

He was a great player and a West Ham legend but the way he conducted himself in the run up to his move will always leave a slightly sour taste
It was just before the start of that season but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory by leaving the way he did. Arsenal were very keen to sign him too if I remember rightly. Just glad he never went there instead.

That 88-89 really was a bad season. I don't think I can remember going to a game that we actually won. I remember a severe tonking by Southampton at their old place, courtesy of Alan Shearer which was a particular low point for me. I think we had Allen McKnight in goal (or was it Tom McAllister?) but it was a shocker.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I don't think he is as down to earth as the rest of the boys of 85/86 - Tonka, Stretch, Tony Gale, Devonshire etc all just seem to be blokes you'd meet down the pub that happen to play for West Ham. Cottee and Frank Mc are different. Not bad blokes but just different.

They both love West Hsm though.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Anneka Rice at Waterloo Station
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

RichieRiv wrote:I don't think he is as down to earth as the rest of the boys of 85/86 - Tonka, Stretch, Tony Gale, Devonshire etc all just seem to be blokes you'd meet down the pub that happen to play for West Ham. Cottee and Frank Mc are different. Not bad blokes but just different.

They both love West Hsm though.
I suspect it's a generational thing. Dev and the others were coming to the end of their careers and they were all of the generation where, if they saved their money during their careers, they'd have their house paid off and have enough to buy the freehold on a nice pub.

Cottee and Frank were a few years younger and, by the time they were the senior players, the Premier League bonanza had started and even the average players who were coming through would become multi-millionaires and never have to work again.

I guess it's one of those things that if you've never had your nose in the trough, you don't miss it, but those boys enjoyed a couple of years before dropping down the coupon.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Clucking Bell wrote: Dev and the others were coming to the end of their careers and they were all of the generation where, if they saved their money during their careers, they'd have their house paid off and have enough to buy the freehold on a nice pub.
I always thought Dev was the unsung hero of West Ham in the 70s and 80s and often gets overlooked for his contribution to the team. When you consider that he was just a forklift truck driver in the Hoover factory on the Western Avenue before joining West Ham and then went on to become arguably one of the best wingers we've ever had. I remember his testimonial in '89 against Palace and how he came across when he gave a speech at the end of the game. I saw him for a couple of seasons after that and he never (to me anyway) lost much of his pace and skill towards the end of his career.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Bertie Vogts yesterday at the airport in Reykjavik

Flying Air Berlin poor bugger :shock:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
I always thought Dev was the unsung hero of West Ham in the 70s and 80s and often gets overlooked for his contribution to the team.

This ... x 100.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammerdivone wrote:Anneka Rice at Waterloo Station
You should have started shouting "Stop the Clock, Stop the Clock".......she would have found that hilarious. :|
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

Anton dubec and Erin thingy his partner on Sunday.
I think his face is welded to a permanent grin.

Nice chap. Pretty lady.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

smuts wrote:
You should have started shouting "Stop the Clock, Stop the Clock".......she would have found that hilarious. :|
Well, I did!
Big George

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: It was just before the start of that season but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory by leaving the way he did. Arsenal were very keen to sign him too if I remember rightly. Just glad he never went there instead.

That 88-89 really was a bad season. I don't think I can remember going to a game that we actually won. I remember a severe tonking by Southampton at their old place, courtesy of Alan Shearer which was a particular low point for me. I think we had Allen McKnight in goal (or was it Tom McAllister?) but it was a shocker.
Odd season for me, was living up north and saw far more aways than homes including the 5-1 at Anfield.

Favourite tho' was effectively relegating Newcastle when we were effectively down already. There only seemed to be a couple of hundred Hammers there for a midweek game in May (must have been more) . Alan Dickens was on fire, there was effectively a riot after the game and we were locked in for our own safety. Main memory was a big lump of Geordie walking from the stand to centre circle unchallenged, taking his shirt off and jumping up and down on it while were singing "sack the board"

heady days

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
That 88-89 really was a bad season. I don't think I can remember going to a game that we actually won. I remember a severe tonking by Southampton at their old place.
Wasnt that the first game of the season?

I was in Yugoslavia (remember that country? :lol: ) on Holiday and got ripped to pieces by some Celtic fans in a bar when the results were read out loud from a Sunday paper, on the Monday
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

chalks wrote:Wasnt that the first game of the season?

I was in Yugoslavia (remember that country? :lol: ) on Holiday and got ripped to pieces by some Celtic fans in a bar when the results were read out loud from a Sunday paper, on the Monday
Now you mention it, I think it was and it was a run of three or four games that we lost. I think I missed every game that we won that season, including the 4-1 cup win over Liverpool. I listened to it on Capital Gold and was gutted I couldn't make it that night. I was bricklaying in Enfield at the time and remember coming on site and a load of Spurs fans who'd been giving me grief being quieter than usual towards me that day.

Was a **** season though and as BG mentioned the 5-1 defeat at Anfield was a paticulary bitter pill to swallow. I think Leroy scored our only goal that day.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Sir Michael Gambon being very confused by the concept of a ticket barrier.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Jimmi Harkishin was on the same train from Manchester to London today. He's Dev in Coronation Street.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Dean Holdsworh in Valentinos in St Margaret's before the Eng v Fra rugby match.