Southampton 1-3 West Ham Utd (04/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ben »

Cheers mate!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Southampton
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130745

You'll like this bit: https://youtu.be/Svl6DZrhrU8?t=4m22s
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Ben wrote:Anyone got that link that puts up the whole game?
Or anywhere that has it?
Good God, once was enough

Great win but certainly not one for the classics.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I thought we played well and it was by no means a poor game.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

2nd half is a hard watch when you know the result. We really could utilise the ball better after winning the ball back.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Great result, average performance - scoreline flattered us.

Thought Reid played very well. And a nice finish by Carroll - made it look easy.

Randolph did very well. At first viewing I thought he did very poorly for their goal, but after watching the whole match 3 times I've changed my opinion. The goal from Gabbiadini was amazing - onside and an amazing shot. Reminds me of Di Canio.

Points to note - midfield losing 50/50 balls far more than should have.
Attacks down both flanks - especially second half - run us ragged.
Very hard for overlapping full backs to do the job attacking-wise when we've only got a LB. Since we've never replaced the value of an in-form Jenkinson from a couple of years this comes as no surprise to anyone.

Love a 4-4-2, but the front two could use more time playing in this role. They need more time to pick up on each others cues.

All in all Antonio had a quiet game - had a hard time retaining possession down the middle and was - uncharacteristically - ran off the ball repeatedly.

Much needed result after the pummelling mid-week. Onwards and upwards
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

richneal wrote:Great result, average performance - scoreline flattered us.

Thought Reid played very well. And a nice finish by Carroll - made it look easy.

Randolph did very well. At first viewing I thought he did very poorly for their goal, but after watching the whole match 3 times I've changed my opinion. The goal from Gabbiadini was amazing - onside and an amazing shot. Reminds me of Di Canio.

Points to note - midfield losing 50/50 balls far more than should have.
Attacks down both flanks - especially second half - run us ragged.
Very hard for overlapping full backs to do the job attacking-wise when we've only got a LB. Since we've never replaced the value of an in-form Jenkinson from a couple of years this comes as no surprise to anyone.

Love a 4-4-2, but the front two could use more time playing in this role. They need more time to pick up on each others cues.

All in all Antonio had a quiet game - had a hard time retaining possession down the middle and was - uncharacteristically - ran off the ball repeatedly.

Much needed result after the pummelling mid-week. Onwards and upwards
Pretty much agree with all that. I'll add though that a couple of tweaks could have seen that same system a little more balanced. Antonio on the right instead of Feghouli would have given us more width and an outlet on the right. Might have also kept Bertrand pinned back a little more too. I also think he'd have done a better job getting back to help Kouyate out. Feghouli did do it on occasion but at other times he switched off and let Bertrand get forward untracked. Having Antonio on the right would have then allowed a natural striker like Fletcher or Calleri to partner Carroll up front - I'd prefer Calleri personally as I think Fletchers still a bit raw and has that annoying trait of thinking he has to take a player on each time he gets the ball before releasing it.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I saw the game in the ground and to say the scoreline flattered us is absolute nonsense. Even when they scored I was quite confident we would be OK because we were easily as good as them.

It was not an average performance, for goodness sake if people really can't see that we were working so much harder and closing people down then I'm not sure what the hell they are looking at.
sw3hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sw3hammer »

Any link to goals please?
Out of the country and completely out of the loop. Ta vm
OFT
Has liked: 2991 likes
Total likes: 1756 likes

Post by OFT »

Up the Junction wrote:
You'll like this bit: https://youtu.be/Svl6DZrhrU8?t=4m22s
:D
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sw3hammer wrote:Any link to goals please?
Out of the country and completely out of the loop. Ta vm

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... 3-west-ham
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Thought I would pass on the observations from a fellow dibble working down there on Saturday.

Stated that you were all loud, singing throughout, he particularly enjoyed "Oh when the Saints are 3-1 down", humorous and enjoyed the crack he had with those he chatted with.

His biggest compliment was the fact that you all looked like me, believe me that's good :wink:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Reid is fast becoming a legend, if he isn't one already.

Not only did he play well, again, look at his reactions to our goals. He's the first to congratulate Obiang after he scores, and looks super pumped after Noble's goal. What a bloke.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Kialos wrote:I thought we played well and it was by no means a poor game.
At last we pressed with intent and high up the pitch. If we did this week in week out then we'd be higher up the table.

Second half was a mistake to invite them on I feel. Should have continued as was and got a fourth or more.

Great win though :scarfer:
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

watched this one in the home end (well side actually) with 2 saints lads and a Pompey one!! You tend to watch the game more closely when not in with your own fans, especially when winning!
We played well, as a team, as it should be. I was a little surprised at the subs to be honest and invited them on too much once we lost out outlets (Carroll off and Antonio to RWB). better teams would have got back into it and had Soton taken i of 2 very good chances at 3-1 it would have been an Alamo last 5-10 mins. we also seemed more vulnerable down our right flank which is now so common that its clear other teams target that. I dont rate Fergooli personally but if we are going to play 3-5-2 he's a weakness. If its 4-4-2 FFS get a proper FB in.
Right now the good bits. Snodders was class, a great debut. very vocal and wants the ball and is comfortable with it. TRhought he made excellent choices especially when we were trying to kill off the game and worked harder than I'd expected reading some comments about him. But my MOM was Obiang closely follwed by Reid. Reid and Fonte will make as good a CB pairing as we've had for many a year once they get an understanding, which wont take too long because i think Fonte is a strong reader of the game. Obiang will only get better and I was impressed with his use of the ball over 5-20 yards, a better array of passing than i gave home credit for and has that knack of good DMs of popping up in all the right places. Also a mention for AC, you can see how he scares the life out of defenses every tiem the ball gets knocked out wide. Ineteresting for me was how he was the one all the Soton fans around me feared most and expected him to score.
great win and day out as others have said.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

dodger wrote: Reid is fast becoming a legend, if he isn't one already.

Not only did he play well, again, look at his reactions to our goals. He's the first to congratulate Obiang after he scores, and looks super pumped after Noble's goal. What a bloke.
He's like it every week now, you can literally seeing him growing into his role like Hulk.

It's also worth contemplating that without the debacle when he first arrived looking a little lost and then our appalling relegation under Grant, that he wouldn't be quite the same player now.

Best business we've done these past couple of seasons (and I include Payet and Lanzini) was tying Winston down. The top 6 Club scouts must be ****.

Wonderful stuff :thup:
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Another good day out which culminated in me falling through the door in the early hours and having a monster hangover yesterday. Well worth it though despite the earache I got afterwards.

Big tits was hilarious, after a somewhat frosty start to his relationship with 3300 travelling fans it turned more friendly. If I had that body I wouldn’t be exposing myself so readily …. Fair play though.

Encore before the game was average, then went to the customary Ebb ‘n’ flow afterwards. After that I have vague recollections of the train journey and throwing shapes on a dancefloor.

Stand outs for were Carroll, Antonio, Reid and Obiang. Honourable mention to Snodgrass.

Our first half performance was very good and we deserved it on that basis alone. Backed ourselves into a bit of a corner with the subs and lost attacking threat when the big man went off. Lanzini had the hump at full time.

Nothing against Feghouli, but he’s average and a weak link. Cresswell had another dodgy game and though Nobes started poorly he improved as the game went on. Randolph at fault for their opener but was otherwise good.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Best business we've done these past couple of seasons (and I include Payet and Lanzini) was tying Winston down. The top 6 Club scouts must be ****.

Wonderful stuff :thup:
Spot on.

He is up there with the best CB's in the league.

What a warrior!
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Almost forgot what it was like to sign someone and have them actually improve the team. Well done Snodders.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Southampton were so poor, it was almost like being in the championship again where we had those games we were in total control of. The first 15 minutes were a 100mph but we totally bossed it as soon as we were level, Southampton hardly threatened. I think Jose Fonte might be a sale too far for them, and with Van Dijk injured they might well put themselves into trouble.