West Ham Utd 2-2 West Bromwich Albion (11/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by The Gibbins »

It was a really good game, I think West Broms defensive approach was purely down to their good start and early goal, they just tried to get our backs up. Bilic took a good approach though and second half we really took the game to them, one of our better performances and if we had an out and out striker i think we would have killed that game off.

However i did think Bilic was a bit embarrassing on Saturday. The Feghouli foul could have gone either way but being honest, in a dangerous area like that he needs to be stronger and stand up rather than trying to buy a free kick, there wasn't much in it. The offside decision was correct, Antonio just needed to keep himself out of the way and we would have equalised, he almost interfered for our equaliser as well despite being miles offside, luckily it appeared that Feghouli called for it.

...Then at the end it was a West Brom throw, its hard to see it in fast motion but the referee got it spot on, we just had to defend better and see it out. Both goals were poor defensively, we shouldn't be dishing out the blame elsewhere as they were preventable, I don't think the referee really got that much wrong.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Snodgrass in a 3-4-3 however was a disaster waiting to happen, he tried hard but it had to be changed quickly :lol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Having just seen the highlights. What on earth was Randolph doing for that second goal.
I only had that Sky highlights programme at 10.30pm to go by , Randolph seemed more intent on wasting all his energy in trying to push Antonio out of the way than preparing himself for the corner then when nowhere near the cross he tries to absolve himself from all the blame by collapsing in some sort of pantomime heap - his only quality as a goalkeeper is his reflex saves , he's excellent at saving shots of a certain height and has genuinely impressed me at times , he got down superbly last week against Southampton [ or it could have been Middlesbrough away ] when the opposition player tried to catch him out with a quickly taken free kick .
However , if you compare him to Adrian , goal for goal I would say he is more at fault than our crazy Spaniard - I believe that it's Adrian's arrogance as a goalkeeper that has let him down recently , if he can be told not to try to dribble round the opposition's striker every time but to keep things simple I think he's the far superior keeper and it's time to return him to the 1st team .

Either we spend millions bringing in a quality goalkeeper to replace both Randolph and Adrian or we buy an up and coming young goalkeeper as an understudy to one of them , my choice would be Adrian and an understudy .
FlorinHammer

Post by FlorinHammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: However , if you compare him to Adrian , goal for goal I would say he is more at fault than our crazy Spaniard - I believe that it's Adrian's arrogance as a goalkeeper that has let him down recently , if he can be told not to try to dribble round the opposition's striker every time but to keep things simple I think he's the far superior keeper and it's time to return him to the 1st team .
To be fair Randolph could be accused of doing the samr at times - he seems fairly fond of doing a semi cruyff turn when taking a kick and being closed down by a striker... Sooner or later one of those is going to end badly and he's going to look like a Class A muppet.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It is something always drummed into goalkeepers at the clubs i have played for.
If facing set pieces in the last minutes of games don't take risks, let the defenders do their job. Unless it is really easy to come and collect the ball, stay put and prepare to save the header. If the opposition manage to score, fair enough, but don't make it easy for them by going walkabout, especially as the box will be more congested than usual
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

good game of football all up - not as good as the palace game in my opinion

thought they would beat us 0-1 beforehand so happy with the draw - we should have won if officials were better but never mind.

i feel safer with Adrian in goal than Randolph

if the big man was playing we would have thumped them
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The draw at the death should probably bother me more than it did, down to the fact I have long given up thinking we have much to fight for, but I just enjoyed the fact it was such an entertaining game and we kept trying to do the right things. That's what I want to see more of till the end of the season now and suss out what we do or don't need come the Summer. The important thing for Bilic is to learn as much as he can about what he needs for next season.
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

I took my boy for his first live football match. Freezing cold, **** ref, conceded a last minute equaliser.

Thought that was just about the perfect introduction. :)
Crouchend_Hammer

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
Do you think it would have made much difference? We scored two goals, which is pretty good going against WBA defence, and had a lot of the game

West Brom have big lumps at the back and probably one of the better teams able to deal with Carroll. I thought we payed some great football one touch football without him, got round the back countless times but were let down by the final delivery/ decision making from wide areas.

He would have been useful defending corners that is for sure, as we were pretty woeful at that all game
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Do you think it would have made much difference? We scored two goals, which is pretty good going against WBA defence, and had a lot of the game

West Brom have big lumps at the back and probably one of the better teams able to deal with Carroll. I thought we payed some great football one touch football without him, got round the back countless times but were let down by the final delivery/ decision making from wide areas.
Lanzini showed how to beat a big strong defence with his two excellent shots from distance , something we're not particularly good at apart from Snodgrass' free kick .
There was absolutely no use in trying to find Antonio with a through ball as he was surrounded by three tall defenders all game so credit to Lanzini for trying something different , it paid off twice .
Crouchend_Hammer

What we did do well was get behind the full backs a lot on both sides. Trouble is Feghouli, Antonio, LAnzini, Snodgrass etc mostly took the wrong option when a little more composure in deciding what type of cross/ cutback etc was best would have paid dividends
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

^^ I remember Tony Gale pointing out one of the times Feghouli was in a great position to cross, the only player in the box was Lanzini and so he tried to pull it back instead. I suspect that we'd have put more balls into the box had Carroll been playing.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:It is something always drummed into goalkeepers at the clubs i have played for.
If facing set pieces in the last minutes of games don't take risks, let the defenders do their job. Unless it is really easy to come and collect the ball, stay put and prepare to save the header. If the opposition manage to score, fair enough, but don't make it easy for them by going walkabout, especially as the box will be more congested than usual
One of the things I loved as defender was the keeper coming and claiming or clearing the ball, especially at the end of the game. The key thing was not calling or coming if he wasn't going to get it, let the defenders win and clear the ball.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

sgb1972 wrote:I've been critical of Feghouli, but thought he played well yesterday and was sharp for his goal. One thing I do like about him is he holds his position wide, stretching the game and often open for a pass.
This is bang on.
Feghouli made himself available for a pass the entire game, more than any other player on our side in my opinion. He also drops deep to help out the right back.
I like him.
As for whoever said he passing is rubbish (earlier in the thread), the guy had a 99% success pass rate on Saturday, more than anyone else on the pitch, he also knocks in a fine cross, crosses that make Antonios efforts look pretty second rate.
His one failing is the tendency to get knocked off the ball, hoping that this sorts it out as he gets used to our game over here.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He's been good of late. He just needs to iron out some poor moments like gifting their opening goal. He thankfully later atoned for it and that's what I like to see, the right reaction.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Colours never run wrote:The draw at the death should probably bother me more than it did, down to the fact I have long given up thinking we have much to fight for, but I just enjoyed the fact it was such an entertaining game and we kept trying to do the right things. That's what I want to see more of till the end of the season now and suss out what we do or don't need come the Summer. The important thing for Bilic is to learn as much as he can about what he needs for next season.
Yes, I agree with all of that, despite the cold and the late equaliser , I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Don't know if anybody has mentioned this but a recurring mistake of ours is when defending a corner. What annoys me is that we bring all 11 players back into our box which , on Saturday , allowed WBA to do the same including their GK. If we just left 1 player in the centre circle, say Lanzini who would be no help in our box, we would force the opposition to leave 2 defenders and the GK away from the danger area. To me it seems a basic error and puts our defence under extra unnecessary pressure. It could have been 10 against 8 instead of 11 v 11 and we threw 2 points away. Annoying.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Colours never run wrote:The draw at the death should probably bother me more than it did, down to the fact I have long given up thinking we have much to fight for, but I just enjoyed the fact it was such an entertaining game and we kept trying to do the right things. That's what I want to see more of till the end of the season now and suss out what we do or don't need come the Summer. The important thing for Bilic is to learn as much as he can about what he needs for next season.
Completely agree. It didn't bother me much as we have zero to play for and it was a great second half performance.
thal

Post by thal »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: One of the things I loved as defender was the keeper coming and claiming or clearing the ball, especially at the end of the game. The key thing was not calling or coming if he wasn't going to get it, let the defenders win and clear the ball.
You could just sense the panic in the team and in particular Randolph. You could almost see Randy thinking "if I claim this it's game over and we win". He was so desperate to do that he was pushing Fernandes out of the way before the kick was even on its way, before he'd even had a chance to assess whether it was claimable. Not only was he not in place to make a save as a result it would have also created chaos amongst the defence. Fernandez for example would've been wondering who they f*** was shoving him rather than concentrating on defending.

Just not good enough from the keeper for me. Trouble is it's exactly the kind of mind set I'd imagine the crazy Spaniard having too so not sure we'd have been any better off had he be in goal instead.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:good game of football all up - not as good as the palace game in my opinion

thought they would beat us 0-1 beforehand so happy with the draw - we should have won if officials were better but never mind.

i feel safer with Adrian in goal than Randolph

Agree with that, savce that WBA are a far better team than Palace. I especially agree about Andy, even with the moody ref and lino we would still have won with Carroll out there defending that 94min corner.