Watford 1-1 West Ham Utd (25/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by The Old Mile End »

Would probably have won that game if we had kept all eleven on the field.

Great effort second half - but I had that strange feeling the whole time that we were an own goal waiting to happen!

Good game of football to watch though.

All the players worked hard, but Snoddy had a very off day I thought. Considering that the two obvious places we are vulnerable in is right back and striker - we have started the last two games without either and now face a suspension as well. Is Calleri really going to start against Chelski?

Considering we have nothing to play for, we played for a lot yesterday. Credit to all.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

calleri was decent last week and played his part in getting us two goals in one half against pulis brom despite being 1-0 down. the only sub slav made before the 90th minute did exactly what he was supposed to do and capitalise on the chances that snodgrass kept fluffing.

we looked like the only team winning it until antonio forgot which sport he was playing.

if that's the worst of your worries the bloke must be doing a decent job.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Yea Why Not wrote:I didn't think think our shout was a penalty to be honest. Seen them given for sure but not quite enough in it for me and up the other end I doubt there'd be a soul on here thinking it should be given

Ref had a good game imo.
I'm lost for words...he didn't give us anything all night.

If one is a pen...so is the other. Lot going off the ball too...lots of blocking when we were attacking especially Cresswell.

You could see they had an eyetie manager
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

How does that away end get a safety certificate ??

At half time it was an accident waiting to happen.....
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Romford wrote:
I'm lost for words...he didn't give us anything all night.

If one is a pen...so is the other. Lot going off the ball too...lots of blocking when we were attacking especially Cresswell.

You could see they had an eyetie manager
I agree, at best you'd have to say his decision making was inconsistent but IMHO it went well beyond that. He missed no opportunity to penalise us yet ignored blatant fouls from them and ignored the penalty decision on Kouyate being almost a copy of the earlier penalty awarded against him.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Lots of points suggesting that Niang on Kouyate wasn't a penalty as Kouyate fouled him first.

The ref didn't blow up for that - and neither did the linesman flag for a foul. There was plenty of time for them both to react whilst Kouyate ran the depth of the penalty area with Niang hanging off him. Seems a retrospective justification to me.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I seriously doubt that the people claiming the ref had a good game were actually there? I can just about cope with a rubbish ref if he is equally rubbish to both sides but you simply cannot say giving a pen for Watford and not for our Kouyate shout or indeed the Cresswell one which was right in front of him is good refereeing. It is being inconsistent and that is not good referring.

Likewise booking Antonio for handling the ball but doing nothing when in the first half Watford players booted the ball away deliberately when it was our free kick.

Or Cresswell being grappled as he tried to run down the line which was right in front of the linesman.

Re the stadium, turning the lights off in the away end was stupid and dangerous.
Last edited by Kialos on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

Ingwe wrote:I'm afraid I still doubt Bilic's tactical nouse. Why take off Snodders and then put on Callieri rather then Fletcher? Almost every game sees the same poor substitutions or players played out of position.
Poor refereeing is only part of the reason we dropped two points yesterday.
But snodders replacement scored our equalising goal 8-)
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Romford wrote:How does that away end get a safety certificate ??

At half time it was an accident waiting to happen.....
The concourse is dangerous. I got there 25 minutes before kick off and it was a struggle to make my way through it. Didn't bother at half time as I knew it would be horrendous and was thankful I didn't need to take a leak.

Strange day. The trip there was probably the easiest I've had. Found a quiet pub where I had a chat to a couple of Watford fans, one of whom is best friends with my kids headmaster. Some bloke in there slipped and nearly knocked himself out, not that any of the staff gave a monkeys.

The officials were appalling. Ref was poor. The Lino on our side made the role of deaf, dumb, blind, mute idiot a tour de force. Watford got away with all sorts, Niang being the worst culprit and he had the front to dig out the likes of Kouyate for acting. Horrible piece of work. The first half was forgettable. Both sides looked liked the wished they were elsewhere, though to be fair, I can't think of millions of places I'd rather be than Vicarge Road.

2nd half we looked spurred on by the loss of Zarate (I didn't dislike him, but I thought the adulation bestowed upon him, was excessive). Lanzini came to life and the sparks seemed to ignite virtually everyone else. We did seem overly reliant on attacking down our right, which seemed a tad strange as when we did give Aaron the chance to get a delivery in from the left Antonio should have done a lot better and buried it.

But our increased tempo and endeavour brought the equaliser we more than deserved though I thought it was going to be 'one of those days' when Michails effort decided to do a tour of the metalwork.

The sending off? Well he could have seen red for the first challenge alone. I've seen less meaty challenges given reds for. And there's no denying he flung his arm out to reach for the ball. The histrionics of their mob, made a very guillible ref eradicate any doubt he may have had.

A draw away, after falling behind is never a bad thing, but if we'd had a full side out then all 3 would have been ours.

Then the journey home. Train cancellations, poor knowledge by station staff and a touch of rain combined to make it much more difficult than it should have been.

Plus point was being seated just in front of Chim, who I hadn't seen for donkeys. Good to see you fella
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Kialos wrote:I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I seriously doubt that the people claiming the ref had a good game were actually there? I can just about cope with a rubbish ref if he is equally rubbish to both sides but you simply cannot say giving a pen for Watford and not for our Kouyate shout or indeed the Cresswell one which was right in front of him is good refereeing. It is being inconsistent and that is not good referring.

Likewise booking Antonio for handling the ball but doing nothing when in the first half Watford players booted the ball away deliberately when it was our free kick.

Or Cresswell being grappled as he tried to run down the line which was right in front of the linesman.

Re the stadium, turning the lights off in the away end was stupid and dangerous.
I didn't go but completely agree, free kick against Feghouli early on when it was Zarate that fouled him with a really poor challenge was the start of many. They must have kicked the ball away 3 times at least from free kicks. Constant fouling (must have been 3 in 30 seconds at one stage) Absolute nailed on pen on Kouyate and even though Antonio didn't go down...it was still a pen. They didn't really show the Creswell one after but it was a free kick on the edge of the area no question.
Hard done by..again
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

The concourse is ridiculous, I learned that in previous years. We got there ten minutes before kick off so we'l we're ok when we got in. As everyone was heading to their seats, you can see why they don't serve beer to us now though.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Snodgrass appeared to have a poor - or at least mediocre - game. Was fairly consistent with his set pieces in that he managed to find a Watford head most of the time.

Fergouhli was a real pain in the arse for Watford. Enjoyed watching him yesterday - consistently chasing down balls and winning balls he shouldn't have. Nice job. We've always loved anyone who puts the effort in and yesterday Fergouhli did the job - great to see.

Kindest thing I'll say about the ref is that he was inconsistent to say the least. Antonio deserved the red - what was he thinking? Niang was the Watford version of Sam Byram - all grabby octopus. Noticed Cresswell being strangled a couple of times as well - for a moment I was whisked back in time 30+ years and thought I was watching Tonka squeezing the nearest opposition epiglottis available.

And was it just me - or did I imagine I saw Deeney give our mob the finger as he celebrated his goal? Class.

Not too many shots on target from either side - no news here in that for god-knows-how-long we're missing a striker who knows where the back of the net is. And no-one needs telling we need to add a decent RB and we'll start to have some options and really start to worry other teams.

Enjoyed watching Lanzini second half. Good job.

Far as I was concerned it was definitely one point gained rather than two dropped. Should have lost it in injury time with about one second remaining but fortunately the incompetence of that Watford sub in front of goal saved us at the last gasp. Whoever he is he gets my Wanchope of the season award.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Shame, and not for the first time this season, we were asleep for the first 20 minutes....and the lack of a proper right back cost us yet again. That said I thought we were much the better team and well worth 3 points. Obvious penalty not given against Kouyate and if Antonio had gone down under that challenge in the first half that might have warranted a penalty too, although with that ref who knows?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Niang won't keep getting away with that, someone will kick off soon if he keeps trying that ****.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Point of information: did we score during the minute's applause for Graham Taylor?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

jammys78 wrote:
But snodders replacement scored our equalising goal 8-)

Yeah, what a rubbish tactician. Spot on call taking off Snodgrass and bringing on Ayew. And I'd have picked Calleri ahead of Fletcher as we need to see what more he can do whilst he's here and isn't a total mug of a footballer, he made an impact recently away up at Boro.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

Yes we scored during the minute/s applause.

I have seen a few posters say we were bad in the first half. We had more shots, less fouls and 64% possession. Apart from that soft penalty, I don't remember Randy having a single save to make. We had something like 12 passes into the box vs. Their 1.

Moving Lanzini into the middle was the key to a more threatening second half. Was impressed with Feguoli and Antionoi. Antonio was unllucky not to score but Ayew was there to convert the tap in. Cresswell put in a number of good passes.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Straight after the game I said my impression was we actually played well throughout for the most part and were a constant threat, sadly what let us down (as too often in the past) is not working the Keeper enough and hitting the target. Everything else from defending to lead up play was pretty much spot on in both halves away from home. Kouyate unfortunately dropped a bollock from the off which immediately put us on the back foot playing with pressure to get back into the game straight away but we responded very well for the remaining 90 odd minutes.

Touch unlucky not to win the game but least we deserved at their place was a credible draw.

As for minutes applaudes, it's overkill now and very distracting during games in my opinion. I prefer to honour people that have passed away before a ball is kicked, it's getting out of hand where it's almost every other week.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Colours never run wrote: As for minutes applaudes, it's overkill now and very distracting during games in my opinion. I prefer to honour people that have passed away before a ball is kicked, it's getting out of hand where it's almost every other week.
I agree .

A minutes silence in the traditional way, respectful, reflective and that's it .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:
I have seen a few posters say we were bad in the first half. We had more shots, less fouls and 64% possession. Apart from that soft penalty, I don't remember Randy having a single save to make.

Moving Lanzini into the middle was the key to a more threatening second half .
The passing out of defence was shaky during the first few minutes , Obiang being guilty a couple of times , then we got more into our stride without really threatening too much , the Watford players were quickly on to ours - Fonte was impressive during that first half , saving what could have been a goal with a timely tackle .

Lanzini doesn't have the build to go past players on the wing , as you say all our good work comes from him being played central - I had the feeling having watched the whole match that we might be better off playing the old 4 - 5 - 0 system with Carroll out injured as Antonio is better employed when facing the opposition head on as opposed to having his back to them . Feghouli is growing into the Premiership with every game , I think moving Payet on has not only benefitted Lanzini but Feghouli also - Fonte and Reid will be a great partnership .