Watford 1-1 West Ham Utd (25/02/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:Moving Lanzini into the middle was the key to a more threatening second half .
Can't help but think we might have sneaked a win had Snodgrass started on the wing and Lanzini in the middle
danski78
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danski78 »

The concourse is dangerous. I got there 25 minutes before kick off and it was a struggle to make my way through it. Didn't bother at half time as I knew it would be horrendous and was thankful I didn't need to take a leak.

Strange day. The trip there was probably the easiest I've had. Found a quiet pub where I had a chat to a couple of Watford fans, one of whom is best friends with my kids headmaster. Some bloke in there slipped and nearly knocked himself out, not that any of the staff gave a monkeys.

The officials were appalling. Ref was poor. The Lino on our side made the role of deaf, dumb, blind, mute idiot a tour de force. Watford got away with all sorts, Niang being the worst culprit and he had the front to dig out the likes of Kouyate for acting. Horrible piece of work. The first half was forgettable. Both sides looked liked the wished they were elsewhere, though to be fair, I can't think of millions of places I'd rather be than Vicarge Road.

2nd half we looked spurred on by the loss of Zarate (I didn't dislike him, but I thought the adulation bestowed upon him, was excessive). Lanzini came to life and the sparks seemed to ignite virtually everyone else. We did seem overly reliant on attacking down our right, which seemed a tad strange as when we did give Aaron the chance to get a delivery in from the left Antonio should have done a lot better and buried it.

But our increased tempo and endeavour brought the equaliser we more than deserved though I thought it was going to be 'one of those days' when Michails effort decided to do a tour of the metalwork.

The sending off? Well he could have seen red for the first challenge alone. I've seen less meaty challenges given reds for. And there's no denying he flung his arm out to reach for the ball. The histrionics of their mob, made a very guillible ref eradicate any doubt he may have had.

A draw away, after falling behind is never a bad thing, but if we'd had a full side out then all 3 would have been ours.

Then the journey home. Train cancellations, poor knowledge by station staff and a touch of rain combined to make it much more difficult than it should have been.

Plus point was being seated just in front of Chim, who I hadn't seen for donkeys. Good to see you fella[/quote]

Agree with all of the above

Unfortunately I did need a leak and it took me all of the half time break to get there and back. Not great
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Not much more to add on the game beyond what has been said. Before kick off, the gentleman with the Brady Out flag who encountered problems before at the Olympic Stadium was stopped from hanging up his flag at the back of the stand by a travelling WHU steward (who worked at the Boleyn Ground and stewards away coaches) who called in the Watford stewards/security team to prevent him from putting it up. He was lead down onto the concourse and I am not too sure if he was allowed to remain.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

sanchoz wrote:Not much more to add on the game beyond what has been said. Before kick off, the gentleman with the Brady Out flag who encountered problems before at the Olympic Stadium was stopped from hanging up his flag at the back of the stand by a travelling WHU steward (who worked at the Boleyn Ground and stewards away coaches) who called in the Watford stewards/security team to prevent him from putting it up. He was lead down onto the concourse and I am not too sure if he was allowed to remain.
They kicked him out but he was allowed back in after about half an hour.

WTF are they doing not allowing it home or away.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

sanchoz wrote:Not much more to add on the game beyond what has been said. Before kick off, the gentleman with the Brady Out flag who encountered problems before at the Olympic Stadium was stopped from hanging up his flag at the back of the stand by a travelling WHU steward (who worked at the Boleyn Ground and stewards away coaches) who called in the Watford stewards/security team to prevent him from putting it up. He was lead down onto the concourse and I am not too sure if he was allowed to remain.
That's awful

Has he been back to the OS since the intial issues?
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

People go on about Payet with the "best player ever for West Ham" b*llocks,but in Lanzini,we have a player with serious potential.This boy could be the business and if he improves as he is,he could be up there with Hazard,Mata etc.IMO,the team should be built around him .His second half on Saturday was proper quality.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

ludo22 wrote:People go on about Payet with the "best player ever for West Ham" b*llocks,but in Lanzini,we have a player with serious potential.This boy could be the business and if he improves as he is,he could be up there with Hazard,Mata etc.IMO,the team should be built around him .His second half on Saturday was proper quality.
He does look very good.

I wonder what we will sell him for.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

ludo22 wrote: in Lanzini,we have a player with serious potential.
Mega Ron wrote:
I wonder what we will sell him for.
For someone mediocre like Tom Cleverly probably.