West Ham Utd 1-2 Chelsea (06/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: Match Thread

Post by Colours never run »

61dicksey wrote:
Go on the. Noble thread and some believe it was Snodgrass fault ?

No you're right, it had nothing to do with Snodgrass, from what I can gather Noble meta morphed into Snodgrass boots for a split second and played such a slack pass instead.
Nr9iron

Post by Nr9iron »

They will win the league but in all honesty there is very little opposition, I find them very boring tbh and don't think they are that great, Kanye is someone who runs and runs but cannot pass 10 yards,
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Nr9iron wrote:They will win the league but in all honesty there is very little opposition, I find them very boring tbh and don't think they are that great, Kanye is someone who runs and runs but cannot pass 10 yards,
Kante is the best player in the league
Nr9iron

Post by Nr9iron »

Kanye is the best player in the league

:lol: he is very good at what he does but that's it,it's boring, go watch David Silve,there is a footballer
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Nr9iron wrote:Kanye is the best player in the league

:lol: he is very good at what he does but that's it,it's boring, go watch David Silve,there is a footballer
That boring job is what makes him utterly irreplaceable and why Chelsea are top. It's not Costa, it's not Hazard, it's Kante
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

It's of no coincidence Leicester and Chelsea have been utterly transformed from the Teams they were previously during the past 2 seasons. It says everything about the importance of Kante.

What he specifically offers a Team, he is worth his weight in gold to any side. £30m was a steal as fr as I was concerned and smart business by Chelsea.

What's galling, is we were heavily linked with him prior to him going to Leicester, if true what might have been (not saying we'd win the League but we would have become a serious player instead of Leicester. Oh well, that's life.

I personally think watching him is a joy to watch, just in his own way. We get a Kante-light version in Obiang and hasn't he been great to watch doing what he does. It's not all about an eye for a pass, the game is also having an acute eye for a perfectly timed clean tackle or interception too.
Last edited by Colours never run on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Also shows how hard he is to replace. A fair few thought Ndidi or whatever his name is would come in and do the same.

Kante is a freak of nature.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

HammerMan2004 wrote:A fair few thought Ndidi or whatever his name is would come in and do the same.
:eh: Are you getting confused with Mendy? Ndidi only joined them in Jan and has been fantastic in the last couple of games with alot of Leicester fans saying that Kante has finally been replaced.

It's Leicester's original attempts in the summer to replace Kante with Mendy (and Amartey) that's been an abject failure..
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's no coincidence the last time Chelsea were so dominant was when Makalele was doing what Kante does now, breaking up attacks and passing ten yards to someone in the same colour shirt.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

Kante is good but gets a lot of praise for making up for his own mistakes a lot of the time.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Kante does highlight the importance of having a quality, disciplined player in that position. His pace, energy and ability to read the game are exceptional.

Love to see somebody like him at West Ham
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Colours never run wrote: What's galling, is we were heavily linked with him prior to him going to Leicester, if true what might have been (not saying we'd win the League but we would have become a serious player instead of Leicester. Oh well, that's life.

That's Steve Walsh for you, who apparently got him in at the training ground, insisted he switch his phone off so that he couldn't contact his agent, and wouldn't let him leave until he signed.
We poached Terry Westley as our recruitment guy from Everton, Everton then nicked Walsh from Leicester.
I have said this before but I know who I reckon got the better deal.
Sullivan treats recruitment like a little hobby, I think in this day and age its the most important role in the club, even more so than the manager (see Leicester/Southampton).
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Nr9iron wrote:They will win the league but in all honesty there is very little opposition, I find them very boring tbh and don't think they are that great, Kanye is someone who runs and runs but cannot pass 10 yards,
This. He is a pure athlete and can get the ball back very very quickly. His technique is appalling but chelsea didn't buy him for that reason
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

simon1982 wrote: His technique is appalling but chelsea didn't buy him for that reason
Appalling? come off it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

No idea where this idea that Kante has a poor technique or can't pass come from

He looked a very tidy player to me, as an aside to all the other supreme strengths he has

You could argue that he may not be as successful in Spain, or Italy, where technical requirements are greater, but they are more than adequate for English football
Regista

Post by Regista »

Colours never run wrote:We get a Kante-light version in Obiang
Kante and Obiang are alike in no way other than the fact they're both black midfielders. Lazy comparisons like this irritate me.
Colours never run

So they both don't hunt for the ball, protecting the back four, break play up and keep it nice and simple with assured passing and equally consistent with it. Righto. The other key point was I said he was a lighter version because as good as Obiang is for us he's still not as good as Kante. But there games are very similar, just one is better at it than the other.

Colour had f*** all to do with the comparison which was a lazy reply to make. Not that I'm particularly irritated by it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Tbf Kante and Obiang are not very similar

Obiang is an elegant central midfielder who has a good range of passing, and, if encouraged, could be effective further forward IMHO. He can tackle for sure, but scurrying round the pitch making tackles and interceptions and holding his position as a disciplined defensive barrier are not his primary skills
Regista

Post by Regista »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Tbf Kante and Obiang are not very similar

Obiang is an elegant central midfielder who has a good range of passing, and, if encouraged, could be effective further forward IMHO. He can tackle for sure, but scurrying round the pitch making tackles and interceptions and holding his position as a disciplined defensive barrier are not his primary skills
Exactly. Saved me a reply.
Colours never run

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Tbf Kante and Obiang are not very similar

You could have fooled me!