Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by taffhammer »

arlhe wrote:Taff, I was in the BMW and am now in block 214 (halfway between the corporates and the away fans). I do have a better perspective of the whole pitch but there are, of course, a whole raft of things that are less good.
Your a lot further away but slighty more side on so you can see whats going on formation wise.I don't see how thats better but respect your opinion.Don't you feel a bit detached from the action ?
Of course its a better price for band 4 now, but the problem is its not really band 4 is it ? My band 4 is now a band 3.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Doc H Ball wrote:Watford's a contender.
No way in my opinion, the stands are practically in contact with the goals at Watford. It's a pretty **** stadium relatively speaking and I'd take Upton Park over it any day of the week but it has four stands and it's close to the pitch.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:
Of course it's not a net figure is it ? By the time all the other side deals around your entire redevelopment get finished he will have made money from it , and possibly loaded your club up with a chunk of debt .

Modern wrote: Yep Pinky it's net but Tottenham have said very recently that Brexit has pushed up costs by 20%. I think it is going to be a fair while before Spurs see substantially increased revenue as a result of the build. Be interesting to see how much additional income the OS is giving West Ham in a few years against the new WHL.
I'd smell a rat if I were you lot .

I reckon Joe Lewis will load the cost of building the ground on to the football club balance sheet , and the profit on other aspects of the Northumberland Park development on to Tavistock Group P&L .Lots of clever accounting , and no mere mortals i.e any of us lot will ever truly know how much Joe Lewis will make out of it .
What I would be very confident of is Tottenham supporters will be asked to pay through the nose for their tickets in the future , maybe not quite as high as Arsenal but pretty close and consequently your supporters - the traditional ones - will gradually walk away in the same way they have at the Emirates and are likely to do at our place .

Within 3 years of you being in your new home I reckon the gap between our two clubs finances will be greater than ever , possibly by £100m a season or so .
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

diego "leatherface" costa:
"On their old pitch, every game was a tough game. Here, they feel it a little, because they were used to that stadium for years. To come to a field of this size, with the crowd farther away, they can’t feel that heat and don’t have that precision. So I think that for us, or any other team that comes to play here, it’s a neutral field, because they’re not used to playing here, neither are we, so it’s a head-to-head match."
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

"On their old pitch, every game was a tough game. Here, they feel it a little, because they were used to that stadium for years. To come to a field of this size, with the crowd farther away, they can’t feel that heat and don’t have that precision. So I think that for us, or any other team that comes to play here, it’s a neutral field, because they’re not used to playing here, neither are we, so it’s a head-to-head match."

This is the kind of evidence that should be deeply concerning to those at the top that should give a **** about the Team I.e. Slav, Gold and Sullivan.

He's not the only tosser to make such an observation either after playing there.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Lots of "average" teams have exactly this problem when moving to a new ground, first couple of seasons is a struggle because home advantage is not the same. Takes a while to regain this.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

...in other stadium news.....enjoy.
http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/n ... sts-spiral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

BrownFatwa wrote:...in other stadium news.....enjoy.
http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/n ... sts-spiral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All part of their attempt to get more money out of the council ... the $400m in 2008 was just for the stadium ... the $800m includes a lot of additional buildings (houses, hotels, museums) they've also added the second retractable pitch (scaffolding anyone?)

The pound was actually lower versus the Euro in 2008 than it is today .... "Brexit" that's bull**** don't believe everything you read, Levy is the King of the spinners ............
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote:diego "leatherface" costa:

it’s a neutral field, because they’re not used to playing here, neither are we, so it’s a head-to-head match."
We need to train on it every training session, not sure if we can rental contract wise ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

taffhammer wrote:
We need to train on it every training session, not sure if we can rental contract wise ?
We have been playing development games on it so no reason why we cannot train on it them days
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

Romford wrote: We have been playing development games on it so no reason why we cannot train on it them days
True. I think its the perspective of looking up and hitting a pass when the crowd and hoardings are so far from the touchline means its hard to judge a pass. Theres been a few times when someones misjudged a pass from out wide to the middle and under/over hit it setting up the opposistion. Train on it more and bring the advert hoardings closer to the pitch like every other ground with a running track.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Lia Hervey‏ @SkySportsLia:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLia/status ... 3964215297

"Mayor of London appoints accountancy firm Moore Stephens to look into rising Olympic stadium transformation costs."

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLia/status ... 6078243841

"Draft findings to be presented to London Assembly by June with public report published in Summer"
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Moore Stephens used to be LLDC's internal auditors between (I think) 2010 and early 2015.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Romford wrote:We have been playing development games on it so no reason why we cannot train on it them days
No real reason except the contract with E20 guarantees two youth teams games and two friendlies (not including pre-season) per season if we want them. I don't know what the situation with training on it regularly would be, I don't think there's an explicit right to do it but I expect LS185 would have to act reasonably and allow us to if there was no real reason not to.

I'm not expecting that much from this mayoral investigation, might be because I don't find Sadiq Khan particularly genuine but say if there is major dodgy **** that has gone on, that won't be exposed because it will create too many waves, just try and make the previous Tory administration look a bit bad thus waxing the mayor's ego a bit and be done with it, job done.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

the pink palermo wrote: I'd smell a rat if I were you lot .

I reckon Joe Lewis will load the cost of building the ground on to the football club balance sheet , and the profit on other aspects of the Northumberland Park development on to Tavistock Group P&L .Lots of clever accounting , and no mere mortals i.e any of us lot will ever truly know how much Joe Lewis will make out of it .
What I would be very confident of is Tottenham supporters will be asked to pay through the nose for their tickets in the future , maybe not quite as high as Arsenal but pretty close and consequently your supporters - the traditional ones - will gradually walk away in the same way they have at the Emirates and are likely to do at our place .

Within 3 years of you being in your new home I reckon the gap between our two clubs finances will be greater than ever , possibly by £100m a season or so .
I think we already pay more than Arsenal.... I think their Cup games are all free for ST holders up to the quarter final states (although I could be wrong here?) whereas we get only our first two free.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

[quote="taffhammer
I think its the perspective of looking up and hitting a pass when the crowd and hoardings are so far from the touchline means its hard to judge a pass. Theres been a few times when someones misjudged a pass from out wide to the middle and under/over hit it setting up the opposistion. Train on it more and bring the advert hoardings closer to the pitch like every other ground with a running track.[/quote]

Bilic was interviewed for the Premier League show on BBC about November and made this exact same point. That at UP a player could more easily guage his position, especially near the touchline, in relation to the stands. Not so easy when they're further away.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Luke (THFC) wrote:I think we already pay more than Arsenal.... I think their Cup games are all free for ST holders up to the quarter final states (although I could be wrong here?) whereas we get only our first two free.
Basically Arsenal get first 7 European and FA Cup games free - they don't get League Cup. It's a bit more complex in that they only get allowed 1 category A match in the cups - so they'd only get the first one out of Spurs, Man Utd and Barcelona.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

WestHamIFC wrote:Lia Hervey‏ @SkySportsLia:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLia/status ... 3964215297

"Mayor of London appoints accountancy firm Moore Stephens to look into rising Olympic stadium transformation costs."

https://twitter.com/SkySportsLia/status ... 6078243841

"Draft findings to be presented to London Assembly by June with public report published in Summer"
Full Details HERE:

https://www.london.gov.uk/decisions/dd2 ... -lead-team

"The investigation and its resulting report will cover three distinct phases in the genesis and life of the Stadium:
  1. 1. The Olympic bodies’ original decision making in determining the design and nature of the Stadium built for the Games and what thought was given to how the Stadium would be used post-Games
    2. The decision making of LLDC and its forebears in the tendering for and delivery of the Stadium transformation in light of the original design and its legacy objectives
    3. Decisions pertaining to the current operational arrangement for the Stadium, including those made by LLDC, LB Newham and E20 Stadium LLP, and those taken by Her Majesty’s Government and the GLA such as hosting the 2015 Rugby World Cup and the 2017 World Athletics."

This sounds quite promising, IMO, especially #1 and the focus on the "original decision making".

Hopefully this will herald a shift of our Great British gutter press finally exposing 'Lord' Coe, etc as the Root Cause, rather than their bizarre mis-directed knee-jerk 'blame the tenant not the landlord' campaign.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Or 2 blokes trying to make £600m v the taxpayer.

I guess they're less happy about #2.

Let's hope it's formally acknowledged to be a huge financial f*** up.
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

Had an e mail from the club for Hammer of the Year

Reads....''.to celebrate our successes in our first season at LS''

They must be snorting the white stuff in the press office....

Pathetic PR