Vera Lynn

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Vera Lynn

Postby ChikinRun on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Vera is an East Ham girl, as my East Ham dad often proudly told me. As many of you know, he passed away a few weeks back, and we walked away from his thanksgiving service with Vera singing this song. She sings it with such understanding, such pathos. The best version. Will be a memorable moment indeed if I hear it at a 'home' game. Just a shame, and somehow wrong, it won't be in East Ham.
ChikinRun

Postby arlhe on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Great idea. Best version of Bubbles as well.
arlhe

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 pm

How about getting her to sing it as the boys run out against Leicester :D
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 am

Bubbles is on her new album released on her birthday:

Wembley1966

Postby The Old Mile End on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 am

Great idea and I hope it all goes ahead.

Be good if it becomes the norm too. Perhaps over time, the slower version will be sung by the crowd as it used to be as well. Much more emphatic that way.
The Old Mile End

Postby roblo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:20 am

Fantastic idea! Absolutely love it. No doubt there'll be a few "what the **** is this?!" comments if it happens. Important the club push it on social media in the lead up to the match.
roblo

Postby Aceface on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 am

Thank the Lord.

Probably my most common whine on here that we forego any half decent renditions for it for the cod-UB40 version. (Got my finger on the pulse of the real issues of the football fan me).

More waltz, less skanking plz.
Aceface

Postby hammerleroy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am

Did Bert Weedon play the guitar? Did Judith Chalmers have a passport!!! Old Bert a legend!!! :lol:
hammerleroy

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Good work UTJ :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby mushy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Kialos wrote:I am sure I can recall as a very young kid my parents having an Bert Weedon record. Did he play the guitar? I have a vision of a bloke with a guitar on the cover. Don't know if it was a 33 or 78 :lol:

As for Vera, what a fabulous idea and I am glad the club are interested. Well done everyone.

Could have been this, it was a common way of learning to play the guitar back in the day.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51VxXZcRBqL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
mushy

Postby mushy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:12 pm

With apologies to Vera, here is another version of the full song sung by the St Brides Choir with soloist Clair Seaton.
It was sung at remembrance service for a West Ham supporting journalist Geoff Ellen, a fact I only recently discovered by reading Brian Williams excellent book 'Nearly Reach The Sky'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqAPKkb2C8

Possibly a little too operatic for our crowd.
mushy

Postby Albie Beck on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm

The Old Mile End wrote:Great idea and I hope it all goes ahead.

Be good if it becomes the norm too. Perhaps over time, the slower version will be sung by the crowd as it used to be as well. Much more emphatic that way.

The song is much better in 3/4 time.

- and maybe that'll help bring back the swaying too...?
Albie Beck

Postby Kialos on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Beautiful version. I agree that some blokes may struggle with the last note unless someone kicks em in the nuts first.
Kialos

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Just thinking about singing Bubbles slower gives me goosebumps.

I kind of hope the crowd doesn't sing over Vera's version. Deserves to be just listened to. :thup:
HammerMan2004

Postby Westcliffspur on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:10 pm

johnnyb wrote:Remember as a kid in the 1958 promotion year, my dad took me into the old West Stand for the Liverpool game near the end of the season. Vera Lynn and Frankie Vaughan (Liverpool) were sitting together nearby. Family used to live near Vera in Forest Gate when she was a girl. She got a huge cheer when the crowd realised she was there. Game finished 1-1 iirc. The roar when we scored was hair-raising. Never heard a noise like that before or since. Lovely memories. Dad couldn't believe that the scruffy second division club he had supported for the last thirty years were about to be promoted to the first division.
:thup:

That's a wonderful memory. Enjoyed reading this. Thank you, johnnyb.
Westcliffspur

Postby Patito on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Great idea and great thread :crest:
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Kennet on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Wonderful idea,

I echo those in regards to bubbles being played/sung slowly, always raises the hairs on my neck as this was what was played at home by my Granddad.

Having lost my Dad less than a year ago listening just now brought back a flood of memories....

TBH even as a kid I have always hated the version they play, just so so dated.....
Kennet

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Kialos wrote:I am sure I can recall as a very young kid my parents having an Bert Weedon record. Did he play the guitar? I have a vision of a bloke with a guitar on the cover. Don't know if it was a 33 or 78 :lol:

As for Vera, what a fabulous idea and I am glad the club are interested. Well done everyone.

Did he play guitar? D'oh! And I don't suppose that you saw the cup final banner either?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:18 pm

TheOrgazoid wrote:Jaysus!! Saw this thread and expected the worse! Cracking idea though.

What, that we'd signed her as Carroll's replacement?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:19 am

mushy wrote:With apologies to Vera, here is another version of the full song sung by the St Brides Choir with soloist Clair Seaton.
It was sung at remembrance service for a West Ham supporting journalist Geoff Ellen, a fact I only recently discovered by reading Brian Williams excellent book 'Nearly Reach The Sky'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqAPKkb2C8

Possibly a little too operatic for our crowd.

Beautiful stuff that Mushy... just thanked the fella who uploaded it and then realised it was you, so thanks again! ;-)

It'd be awesome if we can get this going for the Leicester game. At a time we're struggling with losing touch with our past, it'd be a beautiful reminder of what made our club, our area (yep I'm in Dorset but East London's still my soul) and our people so incomparable. And Dame Vera is truly a national treasure (much bandied about term these days but true here), and a direct link with an incredible time in this country's finest hour that won't be about much longer...once she and the few others from that time are gone, that's it, finito.

I'm a member of 'The Dame Vera Lynn Appreciation Society' on Facebook (yeah I know, proper rock n' roll me), and the admin on there are close friends with Vera...will see if they can let her know this might be a goer - be great to get some interaction going between her and the club if poss.

And to emphasise the old girl's age...her daughter had her 71st birthday the other day.
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion