Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by the pink palermo »

The terms of reference are quite interesting .

I think the final outcome of this could be UK Athletics gets kicked out on it's arse at some point .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Very true PP. No mention of the tenant anywhere in the terms of reference.

I suppose it boils down to how much of a kicking Khan wants to see fellow Labour warriors Livingstone and Beckett receive. Hopefully Lord Snooty will get the hammering he deserves and the paltry amount UK Athletics pay (£35k p.a.) will come to the public's attention.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Wrong thread. :fsake:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The Rebirth wrote: I'm talking about the league in general not specifically us... who by the way have the cheapest season ticket in the league...

I never said we would all have cheaper tickets either but keep twisting words to suit your agenda.
Wrong on both points, Hull are cheaper and you came out with all sorts of crap including gens like all tickets would be cheap (which was obviously untrue). Never put your money in though did you, I'm not convinced you're a West Ham fan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37984729
bbc wrote: Hull also have the league's cheapest season ticket at £252
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

How **** is our new stadium tho
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

HammersChat

Post by HammersChat »

The shelving is only complete in the west stand, Bobby Moore, east and STB have not been done yet
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

slowly getting there with the shelving. I would have thought that a team of workmen could of done it fairly quickly. we obviously have gone for the cheapest quote by a one man band !

next step would be to replace the white seats and make them all claret with a white hammers sign on the east stand.

Then the outside again needs to be claret in colour as too much white.

Then chuck out athletics rip the running track up and make it a football stadium.

The orbit slide thing also needs to be taken down as its a pile of s***

rant over !
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

hammerman11 wrote:
Then the outside again needs to be claret in colour as too much white.

Then chuck out athletics rip the running track up and make it a football stadium.

The orbit slide thing also needs to be taken down as its a pile of s***

rant over !
I love that orbit thing.Lets you know where the stadium is from a distance like floodlight pylons of old.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

taffhammer wrote:I love that orbit thing.Lets you know where the stadium is from a distance like floodlight pylons of old.
All part of a portfolio of loss making publicly owned structures in the Olympic park:
Boris Johnson also insisted the tower would be a money-making venture as well as providing a "perfect iconic cultural legacy". He said: "We think we will be amply recouped after Games-time from the proceeds of renting out a very attractive dining facility at the top. It will be a corporate money-making venture."
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 32413.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Olympic Park’s Orbit tower is losing money and costing Londoners £10,000 a week, a senior Labour member of the London assembly has said.

Len Duvall, member for Greenwich and Lewisham, claimed that the ArcelorMittal Orbit tower had lost £520,000 – or £10,000 a week – based on its 2014/15 report, despite having forecast a profit of almost £1.2m in its business plan.

The attraction, however, has lost around half a million pounds after only 124,000 people visited between April 2014 and March 2015, Duvall found in his analysis of costings.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... 000-a-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Goldstone, the chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, told the London Assembly’s regeneration committee that it was “a pretty significant new addition to the park”.

“We are really excited about the impact this will have on people coming,” he said.

“What we’re talking about here is the world’s longest enclosed slide.

“It’s about £3.5 million in total. But, if you think of 200,000 coming a year the charge will be around £5 per head.”

Mr Goldstone confirmed that the slide was on schedule to open in the spring and a launch date should be announced soon.

Despite the cost of the slide, and the fact the steel sculpture lost £520,000 in its first year, he said it should not take too long to be making a profit.

“In terms of covering the cost, five financial years on, we expect the Orbit, including the slide, to be making an overall surplus,” he said.

“This was always anticipated to be a long journey, we are transforming an area that was in desperate need of investment.

“It’s still early days in that journey to establish the park and the venues as a popular visitor attraction and the world class venues we anticipate.”

The tourist attraction is not the only loss-maker in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, with the Copper Box and the London Aquatics Centre are currently losing in excess of £640,000 between them a year.

“Getting them to the break even basis, that’s absolutely an aspiration we are working towards,” said Mr Goldstone.

“There are costs we are tackling, and in terms of maximising revenue, some of it’s about visitor numbers, some of it’s about pricing, it’s also looking at measures to maximise other revenues.”

He added that one-off events, such as the recent boxing match, and hiring out parts of the venues for meetings would bring about additional funding.

Despite the financial struggles, the park has seen more than eight million visitors since it opened to the public in April 2014.
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/ar ... _1_4402729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ArcelorMittal Orbit has had its fortunes turned around after the introduction of the slide led to a profit-making year for the attraction.

Anish Kapoor’s sculpture on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park made a £500,000 loss in 2015/16 but the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) revealed it had made between £100,000 and £150,000 in 2016.

According to LLDC CEO David Goldstone, the introduction of the slide in June has led to increased visitor numbers to the attraction.

Speaking to the London Assembly’s Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee , David said: “The introduction of the slide has turned around what was an attraction that was costing us money and needed subsidy.

“I think this year we are looking at a surplus of somewhere between £100,000 and £150,000 but obviously the slide only opened in June so it’s not a full year.

“So the slide has been a great success in that respect and turning the whole Orbit attraction around from requiring a subsidy to generating a surplus.”

“It’s been a successful visitor attraction I think adding to what else is in the park and adding to the range of things people can do.

“I think it has made a real difference. The number of people just going up the Orbit for the views and experience have increased as well so it’s had an all round beneficial effect.”

The £3.5million chute wraps around the sculpture and is the world’s longest enclosed slide, measuring 178m.
http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/local-news/ ... e-12326077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I've heard a nasty rumour that Crossrail weekend works have been approved by the department of transport that will see some form of works take place 50 out of 52 weekends in 2018.

I've now heard this twice, although the extent of the works is not clear.

Ive twatted my MP to ask the Secretary of State for transport to confirm. Not holding my breath
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

RichieRiv wrote:I've heard a nasty rumour that Crossrail weekend works have been approved by the department of transport that will see some form of works take place 50 out of 52 weekends in 2018.

I've now heard this twice, although the extent of the works is not clear.

Ive twatted my MP to ask the Secretary of State for transport to confirm. Not holding my breath
I read recently that Shenfield to Liverpool St part of the line is opening in May. Surely if this is true then it won't be our bit of the line that is shutting down at weekends? Or is it way behind schedule
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RichieRiv wrote:I've heard a nasty rumour that Crossrail weekend works have been approved by the department of transport that will see some form of works take place 50 out of 52 weekends in 2018.
I can exclusively reveal we will be playing away the other two weekends .
Ironchas
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Ironchas »

I see if I can find out about the planned closures of the Shenfield to Liverpool St line as I work for a the Contractor who are doing the work , however I am another Crossrail Project .If can find out I will post the information :thup:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Ironchas wrote:I see if I can find out about the planned closures of the Shenfield to Liverpool St line as I work for a the Contractor who are doing the work , however I am another Crossrail Project .If can find out I will post the information :thup:
Thank you, it will be good to hear the real thing rather than rumours.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Thanks Chas. I first read the rumour on my local Facebook news page but the post got deleted as the poster couldn't back up the claim. However someone who knows about these things posted the rumour again today, albeit the extent of the distruption is unknown..

As a season ticket holder on that line i am getting pretty narked by not being able to use my ticket.

I feel.a crusade coming on.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The works on our line are continuing after Crossrail opens in May.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

if that really is true then that's made my mind up about not renewing. sick of getting the ****ing bus replacement service every weekend
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

They're going to start running the new trains but are a long way from being finished with the works on the lines, stations, signals, tunnels.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Mega Ron wrote:They're going to start running the new trains but are a long way from being finished with the works on the lines, stations, signals, tunnels.
That's what I've heard also, from a good source.