Bournemouth 3-2 West Ham Utd (11/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DDHammer

Re: Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DDHammer »

As **** as Feghouli was for the penalty, why is our right winger isolated 1 on 1 on the edge of our box.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Better team won, and they deserved to win. Two missed penalties away from a tonkin.
Biggest talking point: Randolph was outstanding when he needed to be and kept us in the game - did a very good job.

Other issues to ponder :
1. Cresswell constantly out of position defensively. Not sure if this was poor decision making on his part or if something else was going on that I just missed. Attack-wise he couldn't cross his legs today let alone the ball. Embarrassing to watch.
2. Noble lucky to be on the pitch. Should have been a second yellow. Correct decision made to sub him - could have been made 30 minutes earlier.
3. For large parts of the game Bournemouth ran rings around our midfield, forwards and defence.
4. Lanzini needs to play in the middle - let him control the play.
5. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that - Ferghouli couldn't even begin to stop Bournemouth down their left. Correct decision made to sub him - could have happened after the first 20 minutes though.
6. Great play for our second goal. Well done - made a great goal look simple.
7. Bournemouth did very well keeping Carroll anonymous. Two key reasons why: a) they stopped us down the flanks, hence no crosses and b) Their CB's largely kept him in their pockets.
8. Remarkably, Byram did not do his usual impression of an octopus, and did very well for our second. Unfortunately for us, he also did very well in creating the space for Bournemouth's third. Not necessarily his fault - depends on whether Slav was telling him to push forward for the winner or weather Slav wanted him to stay back and nick the point.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Carroll being ineffective today has me thinking.

Against Chelsea he won virtually nothing in the air which at the time I put down to their CBs being a class above, but he won little or nothing today either.

Is he actually fit enough to play? Are what have been at best below average performances because, like Dean Ashton all those years ago, he can't launch into jumps because he's carrying an injury? And if that's the case, how much long term damage is being done?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Carroll being ineffective today has me thinking.

Against Chelsea he won virtually nothing in the air which at the time I put down to their CBs being a class above, but he won little or nothing today either.

Is he actually fit enough to play? Are what have been at best below average performances because, like Dean Ashton all those years ago, he can't launch into jumps because he's carrying an injury? And if that's the case, how much long term damage is being done?
He was clearly a couple of paces behind everyone else and a lot slower going into headers today. I think it's more down to his overrall fitness following the last injury. Bilic has said a few times that he has hardly trained recently and it seems that maybe he hasn't properly trained at all and has just been thrown into the Chelsea/Bournemouth game. If this is the case then it needs to stop now until Carroll is match fit again.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

How many times did we give the ball away today and how many points have we lost in the last few minutes this season........ :shock:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

A half fit Carroll is next to useless. He shouldn't be out there but of course the management and board didn't think it was worth getting in another striker in the winter.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Only plus points were the Keeper and Lanzini.

Best team won, more energy and better shape. The best player on the park got a hatrick

Ref was a slag...and Bournemouth need to look at themselves with the crowding round the ref malarkey.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

DDHammer wrote:As **** as Feghouli was for the penalty, why is our right winger isolated 1 on 1 on the edge of our box.
Feghouli was awful today...wanting others to do his work.

Time to keep the bench warm methinks
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not at our best today , in fact we were much closer to our worst .We were dreadful almost all over the park .
I'll cut the Manager some slack with regards selection as I have doubts he is signing all the players and may be leaving out a few he doesn't rate .Where he lets himself down though is his inability to get the XI he does select to compete with the opposition .Bournemouth wanted it more from the first minute to the last and I'm worried our players have stopped listening to Slaven .

We're leaking goals , we're low on confidence and our selections have at times been bizarre all season .We look disorganised , demotivated and lacking a winning mentality .

A draw would have flattered us , a defeat not unfair .Our worst performance under Slaven for my money .I don't mind losing , I do mind abject surrender .
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Romford wrote:
...and Bournemouth need to look at themselves with the crowding round the ref malarkey.
Obviously learnt a lot from Rooney and co. last week. :thdn:
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Kitt the car wrote:"Johnny Byrne's Boots"]
Is he actually fit enough to play? If this is the case then it needs to stop now until Carroll is match fit again.
That could be years :D
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Could it be the centre backs have no confidence in their full backs and are consciously or unconsciously drifting wider to cover for them, and then get caught out of position?
Yes reidy was the same when Antonio was playing as a rb. Just seen motd and some of our positioning down our right when defending was shocking
smuts

Post by smuts »

If Slav does get the bullet at the end of the season then his RB blindspot has been a huge factor. Criminal we never got one in the winter. He clearly doesn't like Byram and as for Arbeloa....what a waste of skin.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

smuts wrote:If Slav does get the bullet at the end of the season then his RB blindspot has been a huge factor. Criminal we never got one in the winter.
Total utter madness....
smuts

Post by smuts »

I refuse to belive there wasn't one half decent rb available to come in. We happily spent 8 million on Fonte to come in for Oggy which looks like 7.9 million too much at the moment.

As much as I like CK he is a liability at RB.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

smuts wrote:I refuse to belive there wasn't one half decent rb available to come in. We happily spent 8 million on Fonte to come in for Oggy which looks like 7.9 million too much at the moment.

As much as I like CK he is a liability at RB.
Loads in Germany....for virtual peanuts
smuts

Post by smuts »

By the sounds of it we looked at Johnson (Glen not Adam) who wanted silly money and that was it.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Wrong team picked to start and went downhill from then. Sorry Slaven but this one is on you.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Kialos wrote:Wrong team picked to start and went downhill from then. Sorry Slaven but this one is on you.
square pegs, round holes
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just home.

If there is such a thing as a groundhog, then I reckon it's a hammer. It wakes up to the alarm clock at the same time every day, draws the curtains and looks out at a starting XI with no right back and a big isolated striker. Then, later, at the same time every week there's a f*** up in the RB position that costs us. Even a dog would see it.

Feghouli has flattered to deceive, but the truth is he's a bottler. If Roma really offered £10m then the dog would've bit their arm off. How he starts and our most likely expensive player ever sits on the bench is beyond me.

I'm a bit surprised at the flak the team are taking for today mind. There was as a lot of effort, plenty of attackng play but the continual blind spots and the long out of form run of some players are making it hard before we even begin.

Most depressing thing of the day for me - and I include their last minute goal - was seeing a couple of our younger guns having a go at the lady with one eye who turns up week in week out from Brighton. Classless.

Best thing - apart from Manu - was the pies. Infinitely better than the world class ones at 'our' gaff.