Bournemouth 3-2 West Ham Utd (11/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Re: Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Humbug »

I'll be relived when we get 40 points but I fear the worst. Slaven has proven to me that he can't organise a defence and we're shipping goals for fun.
Davey1704

Post by Davey1704 »

Most depressing thing of the day for me - and I include their last minute goal - was seeing a couple of our younger guns having a go at the lady with one eye who turns up week in week out from Brighton. Classless.[/quote]

Hearing stuff like this really pisses me of. C*nts.
Vicboy1960

Post by Vicboy1960 »

Antonio.

Every time I see him he seems to be sweating buckets so I assume he is putting in plenty of effort. He also seems like a decent guy.

BUT, every time I see him he also seems like the most clumsy footballer in history.

Not a game goes by without he stumbles onto the ball, or simply miskicks it, when in on goal. Either he is genuinely clumsy or he is rushing. I suspect it is a bit if both.

If ever a player needed some coaching on ball control and composure it is him. His power and willingness are second to none but in today Premier League those qualities are rarely enough.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

But Antonio's our biggest threat and one of only 3 or 4 that would interest a top 6 side.

He was our MOTM for me today.

This also means that some of our more composed players with better ball control are maybe lacking in heart and willingness if Antonio is the example.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Vicboy1960 wrote:Antonio.

Every time I see him he seems to be sweating buckets so I assume he is putting in plenty of effort. He also seems like a decent guy.

BUT, every time I see him he also seems like the most clumsy footballer in history.

Not a game goes by without he stumbles onto the ball, or simply miskicks it, when in on goal. Either he is genuinely clumsy or he is rushing. I suspect it is a bit if both.

If ever a player needed some coaching on ball control and composure it is him. His power and willingness are second to none but in today Premier League those qualities are rarely enough.

And all the goals that he regularly scores whilst playing so clumsily? What's that all about? I mean, forget absolutely everything else he does (good and bad) what about the goals? Doesn't quite add up to me to be digging him out but there you go. Antonios the least of our worries by a long shot. He is one of the most composed in front of goal, probably 2nd only to Sakho with Carroll 3rd.

For what it's worth, the only 2 players I thought were worth their salt today throughout the game were Lanzini and Antonio. The most consistent 2 players all day long, virtually everyone else stunk the place out.
anorthosis

Post by anorthosis »

Vicboy1960 is spot on regarding Antonio.
Remember how Zola transformed Carlton Cole (beloved by all but a most inept striker) who ended up playing for England!! Antonio similarly needs technical coaching to improve his ball control and, crucially, his composure.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He's scored 19 in 66 appearances whilst playing many of those games out of position. I don't see anyone else at the Club performing more consistantly in front of goal for a prolonged period of time than him during the past 2 seasons since he's been here.

Sure he could do with tidying up some of his play, but so could so many others in our squad.

He's the least of our worries.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

We got what we deserved from this one. We were rubbish – serious rubbish. We were totally run ragged by a team of championship level players who were fitter, faster and more determined on the day. How we could do with a couple of those.

Despite taking the lead, we barely got to grips with Bournemouth’s style all day and rarely played the ball around or kept possession for long. I had the feeling we were an own goal waiting to happen almost from the off, but somehow Bournemouth failed to capitalise on this (two first half penalty misses might have had something to do with it).

Allowing themselves to be hassled out of it, our players became very unsure on the ball and we lacked confidence to play it around. The exceptions to this were Lanzini (the only real class on the pitch) and possibly Obiang. The only other player to get credit was Antonio, who is at home with this level and hustled and bustled himself to be rewarded with a fine goal.

This game perfectly illustrated Cresswell’s recent lack in confidence. Sadly his touch and execution were poor from the word go. At the moment he is nowhere and really needs to finds himself again. However, he needn’t worry about being the worst out there – that prize is comfortably won by poor Feghouli. I watched him on and off the ball and in games like this I struggle to understand how he became a professional footballer. For a small man, he has a poor sense of balance and I’m sure he would fall over in a fast training session without opposition. Position wise he was nowhere, and it was no surprise to see him exiting soon into the second half.

For me, an off day all round, but still quite an entertaining game. You have to admire what Eddie Howe has done at Bournemouth with such limited resources. Having said that, you also have to go there, battle it out, and show them why you are in the better position overall. We failed to do that yesterday, and got the result we deserved.

I reckon we need one more win to be safe this season. There are plenty of opportunities to secure this with games to spare. However, we need to up the ante if we are going to achieve it.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Slaven says he is pleased with yesterday's performance and there are lots of positives to take from the game. In a game where we could have easily conceded about 7 to an under strength Bournemouth with no win this year, his comments are the most worrying thing of all :?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Most been said but my two penneth ,

Fegouli , Why
Kouyate at right back , Why
Ayew not starting Why

Away support class and chant of the day to the Matalan jumper wearing fattie

Get back on your wall , get back on your wall ... Humoty Dumpty get back on your wall
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Macca1973 wrote:Slaven says he is pleased with yesterday's performance and there are lots of positives to take from the game. In a game where we could have easily conceded about 7 to an under strength Bournemouth with no win this year, his comments are the most worrying thing of all :?
Christ....he is having a laugh surely? We were awful.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Kialos wrote:Wrong team picked to start and went downhill from then. Sorry Slaven but this one is on you.
That was my reasoning.

Wrong line up as well.

We tried to match their game rather than playing our own.

Should have been Snodgrass and Ayew right from the start with 3 at the back.

Don't know what is going on with Cresswell. Carrying and injury? Definitely out of sorts.

Oh well.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

We're a more balanced side now - Cresswell battling with an Ilunga phase means central defence is now largely unprotected from both the left and the right.

Wait...
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Again against a lower opposition we didn't close them down; we gave them time on the ball :?
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

People are neglecting the fact that Bournemouth are a tidy little outfit on their day. They held United in their last game, and pretty much done a job on us yesterday, Howe has them well drilled.

Ok I am as baffled as the next man when I don't see Ayew's name, or Kouyate's name at right back on the team sheet. But remember there wasn't a right back in the world we could of signed in January, or any decent striker, and we apparently scouted a few (when the likes of Gabiaddini are banging them in for fun, who we looked at). We apparently had enough to see out the season, this was Bilic's choice (yeah, right). Bilic is constantly being made to be the fall guy by the owners and it's being lapped up.

Payet practically won us this fixture last year. He hasn't been replaced. Yesterday we lacked a player who could take this game by the scruff of the neck as King did for Bmouth. We've got some tricky fixtures coming up with about 3 'must wins'. I can see the board's arse nipping up, along with the fans' - but yet Bilic will take the blame, and maybe he should as manager, but it wouldn't be fully justified in my book.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Aceface wrote:We're a more balanced side now - Cresswell battling with an Ilunga phase means central defence is now largely unprotected from both the left and the right.

Wait...

This......

Fed up with seeing others picking out Fonte.

Anyone who has played centre back knows if you are horrible exposed your in for a long day!
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Haven't read through post match comments as I got back from the south coast too late.

Firstly, was very nice to watch a decent game of football within touching distance of the pitch, felt like i was back in the old Chicken Run. Otherwise it is a fairly pony ground.

Thought we were all over the place at the back and not nearly threatening enough up front. Kouyate is a duck out of water at RB and HAS to start the Leicester game next to Obiang in midfield at the expense of Noble who was lucky to stay on the pitch after lunging into a tackle when already on a yellow.

Byram needs to be starting at RB, give him a run of games and lets see if he is good enough, though I suspect Slav doesn't think he is. Couple of people round me at the game thought he was at fault for their last goal but to my eyes Ayew (who was otherwise decent when he came on) sold him down the river by losing the ball cheaply in an advanced position when Sam was already making an overlap for him.

Ayew or Snodgrass HAVE to start in place of Feghouli who was just awful. He clearly isn't good enough to be starting (playing?) at this level and I lost count of the number of time he left Cheikhou with a two on one by getting drawn out of position in the first half. He conceded the penalty because he was ball watching and thus the wrong side of his man and then made a stupid attempt to pull him back. Sad to hear him booed off when he was substituted as i never like to hear us boo our own, but sadly i could understand it. He needs to be shipped out in the summer for sure.

Also concerns me that Slav couldn't see the Feghouli problem much earlier. It was going on right under our noses in the away enclosure and we all could, so why couldn't he ?

Thought Cresswell was poor again (when was his last really good game?) and the lack of a proper RB and a LB who is woefully off form is exposing Reid/Fonte, though the pair of them struggled with the pace of King/Afobi all afternoon.

So Noble and Feghouli out, Byram and either Snod/Ayew in, it's a 50/50 whether Arthur gets a shout instead of Cresswell but if we change the RB probably better to leave Cresswell in place.

Away support brilliant as usual, never really heard the home support until they went 3-2 up right at the end.

Away games are just so much more fun than home games, even when we lose - sad but true.

Overall thought Bournemouth looked far more menacing than us with their pace and movement up front, though it wouldn't have been unjust if we had returned with a point.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

One cool day at the coast, and the performance on the pitch was so poor! Where do you start, Randolph flapping around in the goal like he does so much, not sure how he has kept his place, a so called striker that I stick by makes us so one dimensional! remember back to when he returned after injury in Fat Sam's last season when we were playing well, all of a sudden our form went, because with Carroll there is only one way, half of the time he seems to walk around the pitch? at one stage in the game late on in the first half we broke quickly (for us) from our own half of the pitch, 4 or 5 players I looked for Carroll he was still at the half way line as the players reached the box?

Someone said on the Cresswell thread no one would sign him, well he is not the only one at the moment, not sure how Slav could claim we deserved more? We have so many good youngsters but not one is to be seen playing or fighting for his place in the first team, why?

Lets admit it there are real problems top to bottom, summer and January buys, owners treating it as a game as if they know what they are really doing, Mr Twitter telling us what time he will arrive at the ground and so many like it?? Just want this season over and done with, nothing excites me.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

It is very easy to blame individual players, but when you can pick out almost anyone from the team then the manager has to take the blame.

Set up with Carroll as the target but neither Antonio or Feghouli are the right kind of wide player to get the best out of him. That forces the fullbacks forward as they become the supply line which leaves big gaps at the back. We then have two very similar "sitting" players in midfield when we probably need one of those two with someone alongside with the energy to cover those defensive gaps and to drive forward with the ball at times,

The static central midfield also forces Lanzini deeper to get the ball which means he has to beat both the midfield and defence of the opposition to create anything.

Bilic seems to pick what he considers to be his best XI and then slots them into the best formation he can rather than coming up with a game plan and picking the XI who fit that plan.

Our wins this season have relied heavily on individual performances rather than playing well as a team. To me that says the manager is the problem.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Kialos wrote:Wrong team picked to start and went downhill from then. Sorry Slaven but this one is on you.
100% agree

Don't know what he was going on about after with the "lots of pluses".

If a team works hard...we have problems. Thats sad in my book.