✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by chalks »

westlondonhammer wrote:
Which teams are you looking for us to better compete with in terms of investment?
I'm not, I've lost all interest.

Just pointing out to a poster that suggests we may have funds available that, erm, we havent. Despite what will start to hit the press from the mouths of the owners over the coming (renewal) months zzzzzzzzzz
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

hammerleroy wrote:I think we were only forced into buying Fonte because of Obanna's injury...
Hopefully he'll go straight back into the White House First XI when he's over the injury because the orange lad with the terrible syrup that they called up from the reserves is an absolute disaster.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

hammerman11 wrote: total summer budget could be 65m.
Even if we did, its peanuts. Palace blew £32m on Benteke and £10m on Tomkins among others?
Palace look like theyll be by their fingertips come May.
To make any difference and to get ahead of Everton, WBA and Stoke we'd have to spend £100m
Not in a million years. £50m just to stand still.
chalks wrote:It will be closer to 6.5m I'd have thought.

Only way we will compete with other teams in the PL investment wise will be with different owners
Absolutely, a mixture of frees, out of contracts and cast offs. Joke shop.
New owners.........only we could be on the cusp of big things with the Icelandics then go virtually bankrupt :lol:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:To make any difference and to get ahead of Everton, WBA and Stoke we'd have to spend £100m
Not in a million years. £50m just to stand still.
it's not all about the amount of money though. payet and antonio were bought for less than £20m combined.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

We can spend £250 mil this summer and get relegated. We can also spend £10m and win the league. When will people stop obsessing over how much ££ is spent, and focus on how it is spent. A combination of recruitment, coaching, and player motivation is what makes the difference.

Yes, ££ spent generally equates to better players and therefore higher league position, but this isn't always the case. It's finding the right players to achieve the right balance/harmony in the squad that is most important. I don't care if we only complete free transfers in the summer, so long as they are the right players to help us compete!
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:We can spend £250 mil this summer and get relegated. We can also spend £10m and win the league. When will people stop obsessing over how much ££ is spent, and focus on how it is spent. A combination of recruitment, coaching, and player motivation is what makes the difference.

Yes, ££ spent generally equates to better players and therefore higher league position, but this isn't always the case. It's finding the right players to achieve the right balance/harmony in the squad that is most important. I don't care if we only complete free transfers in the summer, so long as they are the right players to help us compete!

Fully agree mate. Also realistically not many players who are worth £30 million plus would want to come to us anyway as the last summer has proved so finding bargains such as Lanzini and Payet and investing in youth as we are doing is vital for us.
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

it's not all about the amount of money though. payet and antonio were bought for less than £20m combined.[/quote]

But how often is that likely to happen, to get such bargains ?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:We can also spend £10m and win the league.
Pass the kutchie...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:We can spend £250 mil this summer and get relegated. We can also spend £10m and win the league. When will people stop obsessing over how much ££ is spent, and focus on how it is spent. A combination of recruitment, coaching, and player motivation is what makes the difference.

I've long been banging on about the same argument you've just rightly raised, Houston. and if people want clear examples of not paying through the nose for quality players, we've been doing that for the most part since promotion once the deadwood were washed out.

I only ever want to see the right player recruited, regardless of whether they cost the earth setting a Club record fee, or if they were handed on a plate to us costing nothing and/or nurtured through the ranks.

On top of that, I thought we were one of the top 8 or 6 Clubs when it comes to spending in recent years? It's not like we are stingy or paupers when it comes to coughing up. Same I think goes for wages, where our wage bill has often notoriously been high, be it the Daves or previous regimes.
HoustonHammer24

coyi27 wrote:
Fully agree mate. Also realistically not many players who are worth £30 million plus would want to come to us anyway as the last summer has proved so finding bargains such as Lanzini and Payet and investing in youth as we are doing is vital for us.
Agreed! People seem adamant that if we don't spend £50 mil plus this window, our owners are tight and need to ship off ASAP. If they spend that amount on the right players, I'll be happy. If they spend it just to appease the fans who are demanding it, and the players flop, they will be blamed as if they didn't spend the money at all.

I hope we get our money's worth out of Tony Henry, and he scours the globe for some hidden gems this window. I don't know about you, but I get more excited about the lower league punts (Antonio, Cresswell, Byram), and the occasional foreign bargain (Payet, Lanzini, Feghouli, hell even Tore), then I do about the £30 mil+ signings. I would like to see a few £5mil or less signings, a few loans with options and frees, with 1 or maybe 2 (at a push) £10-25mil signings to find the right balance in the squad. As long as these are the right players, that could easily push us on. We don't need to be bringing in 3-4 £25mil+ signings like people seem to think we do.
HoustonHammer24

Colours never run wrote:
I've long been banging on about the same argument you've just rightly raised, Houston. and if people want clear examples of not paying through the nose for quality players, we've been doing that for the most part since promotion once the deadwood were washed out.

I only ever want to see the right player recruited, regardless of whether they cost the earth setting a Club record fee, or if they were handed on a plate to us costing nothing and/or nurtured through the ranks.

On top of that, I thought we were one of the top 8 or 6 Clubs when it comes to spending in recent years? It's not like we are stingy or paupers when it comes to coughing up. Same I think goes for wages, where our wage bill has often notoriously been high, be it the Daves or previous regimes.
Nail on head. The owners have been spending pretty well for the most part since they took over. No one would be questioning the amount spent last window, if the players had all (or mostly) been successful. I still haven't written off some of our signings yet, but I agree that for the most part the recruitment wasn't great last window, and they have acknowledged that!

If we were to spend £15-20mil in the summer, with 2-3 loans with options with a few frees thrown in, and all of them hit the ground running, most would have to call that a successful window, regardless of actual spend!

I just think people shouldn't worry so much about money spent, and pay more attention to how the players perform. Some players get written off immediately due to their low cost, and some players have a huge burden on their shoulders due to their hefty price tag. Give the players a season (if on loan) or two to make an impression before writing them off due to price tag.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Spammy The Vee wrote:But how often is that likely to happen, to get such bargains ?
we had three in one summer, can't be that hard...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

It's not really how much we spend but how wisely we recruit.

If it costs £60million to get the right team that's what it costs. If it only costs £10million then great.

However, if we keep going through transfer windows without signing a right back, a striker, or leaving us short in other vital areas then the policy in place isn't a good one.

The owners haven't done a terrible job but they haven't done a good job either.

One day I hope our club is run as professionally as many of the other clubs in the league are run.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

We are playing 5 upfront , but you are playing right back !!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

when is Iron Mic signing his contract. Great player Mr 100%. we always have a chance when he plays.
going to be missed on monday.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote:when is Iron Mic signing his contract. Great player Mr 100%. we always have a chance when he plays.
He's refused it hasn't he?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

hammerman11 wrote:when is Iron Mic signing his contract. Great player Mr 100%. we always have a chance when he plays.

Sky sources also understand Antonio will be offered fresh terms in the summer if he continues his good form into the second half of the season, having scored eight goals this campaign.

"Right now, nothing is really happening on the contract talks," Antonio told Sky Sports News HQ.

"We'll just see how things go. At the moment my head is not being swayed in any way. I just want to play my football and whatever happens happens.

When asked whether he will sign a new deal, Antonio said: "We'll see."
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

Back in England squad..
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

first player on the team sheet for me. Not at RB though !

we will spend this summer and as has been said it does not matter if you spend big or small as long as you get the right one in.

RB
Striker x 2

absolute minimum required
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Antonio's done a hammy. FFS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39317665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;