West Ham Utd 2-3 Leicester City (18/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham Utd vs Leicester City: match thread

Post by Romford »

sendô wrote: Huth had a free header on our 6 yard line, no player within 5 yards of him. It was magical alright, our defence disappeared into thin air!
But that's why Albrighton touched the ball then runs central and square......they are making us push up and surrender our positions.

I personally thought it was brilliant and very clever
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Beavis Danzig wrote:huth was carroll's man. you can't blame him for charging down the bloke on the edge of the box, but he really shouldn't be the one doing it in that situation.

we're really missing ogbonna on set pieces. for all the goals we've conceded this season, we didn't concede many direct from set pieces until recently. even those who weren't his biggest fans will admit he was a monster in the air.
I agree....
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Truly woeful, again. How many times have we said that this season? Yes the 2nd half was entertaining but once again we gave the opposing team gifts. Leicester didn’t have to work that hard to get their goals although I thought their pressing, passing and intensity was good and 'joined' up (were you watching Slav).

For the record I thought Lanzini was excellent (will we be able to keep in the summer) and Byram did well, although he was blowing out of his arse for the final 15 minutes. Fernandez and Arthur also looked good. Actually, I thought the team and shape that finished looked better than the one that started. I thought Carroll did very well in link up play but nothing in the box unfortunately. Forget the misses and the pitch and the ground etc. etc. they had nothing to do with why we lost. Giving them 3 simple goals at home was the reason.

I really have no idea what they do in training each day, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be fitness, defending, passing or crossing.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Also thought Kouyate did well covering CB :thup:
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2365 likes

Post by Ozza »

Romford wrote:Latest on Winston and Pedro ?
Winston - Sounds like a groin strain, got a scan Monday according to the hacks, if it's a bad one it might be season over.

can't find anything re Pedro's ankle injury, but sounds like Antonio has a hamstring strain that will mean he'll pull out of the England game.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... njury-News
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2365 likes

Post by Ozza »

Romford wrote:Also thought Kouyate did well covering CB :thup:
personally I think that's his best position Rom
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ozza wrote:
personally I think that's his best position Rom
I still think he has enough for the Vierra defensive midfield position but he didn't start well this season and lost his way.

Defo not a right back and wasted there...whoever thought we didn't need one needs shooting
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Romford wrote:
They were unmarked because of the pushing up that the free kick manipulated
Yes but either push right up and play them off, or just mark your man. Ball watching.

A lovely free-kick routine but joke defending. A bit like this zonal marking, crazy idea. Pick a player up, get tight and mark it hard for them to beat you in the air.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Thought at first Snodgrass got a touch before Carroll which decieved him.....on seeing replays I think he just completely missed it.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

sgb1972 wrote:
Yes but either push right up and play them off, or just mark your man. Ball watching.

A lovely free-kick routine but joke defending. A bit like this zonal marking, crazy idea. Pick a player up, get tight and mark it hard for them to beat you in the air.
The problem with man marking is the little tricks that go on with blocking...it isn't as easy as 20 years ago.

Lets be honest...were not well drilled enough to push up as one. Hence why they took that kick against us and probably wont against Chelsea...they looked at our defending to free kicks and worked a situation.

As i said..brilliant.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ozza wrote:
Winston - Sounds like a groin strain, got a scan Monday according to the hacks, if it's a bad one it might be season over.

can't find anything re Pedro's ankle injury, but sounds like Antonio has a hamstring strain that will mean he'll pull out of the England game.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... njury-News
Cheers mate...didn't look good
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

What i noticed for their third, when defending corners we leave everyone back. So when we get it clear it falls straight to the attacking team under no pressure.

Utterly bizarre tactic.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

thejackhammer wrote:What i noticed for their third, when defending corners we leave everyone back. So when we get it clear it falls straight to the attacking team under no pressure.

Utterly bizarre tactic.
Do we actually have any tactics at all? Most teams I have seen play us this season seem much more clued up.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

ChzMff wrote: Adrian mistakes against Watford, Everton and Stoke. That's just off the top of my head.

Is the trick to keep saying the same thing in your head until it becomes a fact? :

Nah, no trick. Just an easier way for you to understand it better. :idea:

Adrian over Randolph all day long.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Colours never run wrote:Nah, no trick. Just an easier way for you to understand it better. :idea:

Adrian over Randolph all day long.
ty average

FWIW it would be Adrian for me but he has major flaws as a top level keeper too, they are both pretty average
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

thejackhammer wrote:What i noticed for their third, when defending corners we leave everyone back. So when we get it clear it falls straight to the attacking team under no pressure.

Utterly bizarre tactic.

Strangely, and I only make a note of it because it pisses me off that we do it, many teams use the same approach.

Can't for the life of me understand why we wouldn't just put Lanzini ( who is never winning a defensive header ) and one other up on the half way line, would mean five of the opposition are taken out of the game as an attacking threat.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Strangest of all despite us having all 11 players in our box, the ball still fell to Vardy at his feet completely unmarked, and he was able to take his time to set the ball, see where Randolph was flapping to and smash the ball in.

Criminal defending.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Utterly bizarre tactic.
We've been defending corners like that all season, it's got really annoying to watch because the team just end up putting more pressure on themselves.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:Also thought Kouyate did well covering CB :thup:
Up until the season before joining us he had played his whole career as a CN .

For me its where we should play him .I agree with you that he is not a RB but he also likes positional discipline to feature in midfoeld .

I would pair him with Reid . This season is done wirh little left to play for but respectabiliry . Wr do need extra energy in midfield but Kouyate is nor the answer .
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Utterly bizarre tactic.
A tactic I have never understood. You leave one man up, and they have to leave an extra defender back (2 instead of 1 typically). For me it would be Ayew left up. Decent pace, decent touch to bring a ball down, and can finish (usually). Not someone the other team could take liberties with.