what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by woodgreenspur »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Spot on!

Have you tried the rest of TT range?

Each of them bloody outstanding, especially the dark mild.
Yep. I was drinking the Dark mild in the Flag in Watford last Saturday..The bar stewards ran out after 3 pints.Gutted.Quality pint :)
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:What is Guinness in Dublin actually like?

Any different to the stuff you get in the UK? How is it dispensed? Obviously less air miles will make a bit of a difference to the taste.

Never got why some people go over there purely for the Guinness!! Would be more bothered about trying the hand pulled stouts they have over there.
It's the same. It's a keg beer so travels ok - also fined and pasteurised so it takes ages to go off. And it's not like it's gone far anyway. Some places in Ireland are further from Dublin than where you'd drink it in the U.K.

I was born in Dublin and we love to get sentimental about it, but I think if you're visiting Dublin and have been craving a pint of Guinness you'll want it to taste amazing, so it does. Only big difference is pubs here serve it a lot colder and I think it's better not so chilled.

Overrated beer, but great for a session as it's so bland and easy to down. First time I drank pints into double figures was Guinness.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EugeneSpeed wrote:First time I drank pints into double figures was Guinness.
Me too. The next day wasn't pretty at all.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hardly ever go to a pub these days but yesterday afternoon was lovely so we went for a stroll around Camus Mallaig , Jen and Dan walking me taking a few photos , popped into the Broadford Hotel Public Bar before going home - it was packed due to the rugby , nice to meet up with some old friends , orange & lemonade weren't bad .
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Came in to retract my statement about Guinness. Had two pints on Sunday at The Garden Shed in Wimbledon and they were really nice.

Pub itself - formerly the Horse and Groom (or Gloom). Bit of a Chelsea hangout according to my Mrs. Not particularly nice - crap beer and people beaming up Scottie in the bogs. Been given a lick of paint, and beer range extended (3 cask pumps, new bottles, several lagers). Shows football and seems to be the go to pub in the area for people with kids. Very handy and it's basically my only choice if i have my son with me. Otherwise I go elsewhere.

5/10
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

woodgreenspur wrote:Yep. I was drinking the Dark mild in the Flag in Watford last Saturday..The bar stewards ran out after 3 pints.Gutted.Quality pint :)
You lucky bugger!

Can't find it anywhere in London.
EugeneSpeed wrote:Came in to retract my statement about Guinness. Had two pints on Sunday at The Garden Shed in Wimbledon and they were really nice.
A fan of the Alexandra?
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:A fan of the Alexandra?
Yes! Go there quite a bit. Something for everyone, and they seem like very nice guys. That free Xmas lunch thing was lovely of them. Have you been in recently?

The Trafalgar and The Sultan in South Wimbledon/Colliers Wood are my main ones though.
LincolnshireHammer

EugeneSpeed wrote:Yes! Go there quite a bit. Something for everyone, and they seem like very nice guys. That free Xmas lunch thing was lovely of them. Have you been in recently?

The Trafalgar and The Sultan in South Wimbledon/Colliers Wood are my main ones though.
Love the rooftop. Can't beat a summer's evening sipping on a pint of Special up there. Not been in since last summer. :(

Will try out those two!
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

The only pub in London that I know that once stocked the whole range of TT beers was The Bricklayers Arms in Putney. That's when it was winning the CAMRA awards for best pub in the SW London region and the best pub in Greater London. It was incredibly popular and a real destination pub for the 'tickers'.

About 7 years ago they became one of those pubs that it is in permanent 'beer festival' mode and the customer base has dwindled, other than when Fulham play at home. It was never the best run pub but survived because of the TT range. Now it's only a matter of time IMO until it closes/gets taken over.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

sandbanks wrote:The only pub in London that I know that once stocked the whole range of TT beers was The Bricklayers Arms in Putney. That's when it was winning the CAMRA awards for best pub in the SW London region and the best pub in Greater London. It was incredibly popular and a real destination pub for the 'tickers'.

About 7 years ago they became one of those pubs that it is in permanent 'beer festival' mode and the customer base has dwindled, other than when Fulham play at home. It was never the best run pub but survived because of the TT range. Now it's only a matter of time IMO until it closes/gets taken over.
Excellent pub. But yeah, always seems empty. Was listed as Permanently Closed on Google for years which can't have helped them!
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Love the rooftop. Can't beat a summer's evening sipping on a pint of Special up there. Not been in since last summer. :(

Will try out those two!
The rooftops been tarted up a bit now... Dunno what you'd make of it. I'm not a huge fan if I'm honest.

The Trafalgar is excellent. A proper tucked away gem.

https://twitter.com/thetrafsw19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammer españa
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hammer españa »

Having a pint of Guinness in the Queens Head Farnham. Unfortunately plenty of arty leftie rich students trying to look poor and working class
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

sandbanks wrote:The only pub in London that I know that once stocked the whole range of TT beers was The Bricklayers Arms in Putney. That's when it was winning the CAMRA awards for best pub in the SW London region and the best pub in Greater London. It was incredibly popular and a real destination pub for the 'tickers'.

It was a cracking pub, sad to hear its in decline
Last edited by Big George on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Red Lion, Piccadilly / Green Park - Fairly quick 2 pints in this pretty decent, small pub. Pint of London Pride was okay, but the ESB went down very well. Was fairly late so it was nice and quiet, managed to get a table easily, can imagine it's heaving earlier in the day. Nothing spectacular, a reliable option when in the area. 6.5/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

bunk wrote: but the ESB went down very well.
Always a great pint, but gives me bad heartburn for some reason which really pisses me off as I love the stuff.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

bunk wrote:The Red Lion, Piccadilly / Green Park - Fairly quick 2 pints in this pretty decent, small pub. Pint of London Pride was okay, but the ESB went down very well. Was fairly late so it was nice and quiet, managed to get a table easily, can imagine it's heaving earlier in the day. Nothing spectacular, a reliable option when in the area. 6.5/10.

I'd probably give it a point or two more. It's a decent 'local' in a tourist area, and as long as you time it right, it's really quite good. Can get rammed outside, which is a little off-putting.
LincolnshireHammer

sandbanks wrote:The only pub in London that I know that once stocked the whole range of TT beers was The Bricklayers Arms in Putney.
Shame this is not the case anymore. Would have love to have made a visit.

Desperate for Leeds to make a return to the PL this season. There's a TT pub called the Town Hall Tavern in the centre of town which stocks all of their range. A must visit!
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Landlord is the quintessential Yorkshire beer. Golden Best, Ram Tam and Boltmaker are good stuff too.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Desperate for Leeds to make a return to the PL this season. There's a TT pub called the Town Hall Tavern in the centre of town which stocks all of their range. A must visit!
You do realise you can still visit the pub even if there isn't any football on.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Hemel Iron wrote:You do realise you can still visit the pub even if there isn't any football on.
In my experience, it's best to visit Leeds when there isn't any football on.