West Ham Utd 2-3 Leicester City (18/03/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Leicester City: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

now the dust has settled a few thoughts.
defence is a mess but there were signs we can play better. second half was fantastic entertainment. we could of won 4-3,drawn but ultimately lost. Value for money most definetly.

Kouyate does play well at CB. so maybe we need to go back to a 3 at the back to try to stop conceding

Randolph needs a rest as making mistakes or lets goals in that have you wondering could he have done better.
Masuaka needs to replace cresswell. byram played well. snodgrass didnt ! ayew finding form apart from that miss! fernandez looked good again.

so for Hull

Adrian
reid kouyate fonte
byram obiang lanzini fernandez masuaka
antonio ayew

subs randolph nordsvelt noble fegouli snodgrass fletcher carroll
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote:
so for Hull

Adrian
reid kouyate fonte
antonio ayew
Have to admit, I quite like this... 2 forwards with a bit of pace and able to work the channels. The new Valencia/Sakho. Like the look of the three in the middle too.
Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

Lostcoco wrote:Kouyates best position is definitely cb but in the middle of a back three where he can drive forward sort of like David Luiz
The player in that role needs to be able to pass the ball, Kouyate is not a great passer.
Last edited by Estuary on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

We were shocking in the first 20 minutes, all over the place in midfield and could barely put a foot on the ball there. Reid's injury was (almost) a blessing in disguise as once Kouyate went back there he gave, for me, his best performance of the season. Fonte also looked good for most of the game as a centre back, and I thought as a back four we were largely good when the ball was in play.

Unfortunately, we were undone by being very sloppy at set pieces - which isn't really an issues that can be attributed to 'the defence' as a four. It's much more a team thing, and too often everyone was static at set pieces in the box.

I think the worst thing is that every goal there should have been avoidable in one way or another.

But, the last 70 minutes of the game, their thrid goal aside, I thought we'd played very well. If they'd not had Schmeichel having his second tremendous game in a week we'd probably have got a third. Lanzini had an absolutely phenomenal game pulling strings for us, played more passes than anyone else on the pitch and was playing out of his skin. Really feel like he's stepped it up a level in recent weeks.

Just hoping Obiang's not too seriously injured, as I'd like to see us line-up like we were after Reid went off for our next game.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I thought Obiang was absolute pony all game before he got injured. Worst game I've seen him play. Hope it was just a one off and that his injury is not bad.
Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

johnnyb wrote:I thought Obiang was absolute pony all game before he got injured. Worst game I've seen him play. Hope it was just a one off and that his injury is not bad.
Totally agree, Pedro stank the place up, which is very unlike him. Unfortunately his season is over with the injury.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by wildkard »

For me, Obiang always blows hot and cold anyway. Saturday was cold.

Just remembered the two 20something blokes next to me left at half time and didn't come back. They had paper tickets as well, so paid for their seats. Bit odd, I would've given it a while longer myself.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

wildkard wrote:For me, Obiang always blows hot and cold anyway. Saturday was cold.

Just remembered the two 20something blokes next to me left at half time and didn't come back. They had paper tickets as well, so paid for their seats. Bit odd, I would've given it a while longer myself.
Obiang has not quite hit the heights recently as earlier in the season and was definitely not at his best on Saturday

Will still be a big miss for rest of the season

I would like us to build the midfield around him next season and give him much more freedom to get forward
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Coops »

wildkard wrote:For me, Obiang always blows hot and cold anyway. Saturday was cold.

Maybe they just moved to a different seat.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

"Unfortunately, we were undone by being very sloppy at set pieces - which isn't really an issues that can be attributed to 'the defence' as a four. It's much more a team thing, and too often everyone was static at set pieces in the box."
So who, in our team stood off Mahrez ,when he came inside to do what he is renowned for?So who, in the team, should have been marking Huth when he rose unopposed to head in? I'm sure the answers to those two questions are - 1)Cresswell 2) Reid or Fonte - those were our defence the last time I looked.Granted the third goal was down to Carroll totally missing a near post clearance.
The reality is that defending set pieces should be the easiest part of the job for three commanding CBs who don't have a "traditional" CF to worry about!
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote:
so for Hull

Adrian
reid kouyate fonte
antonio ayew

subs randolph nordsvelt noble fegouli snodgrass fletcher carroll

I like that team, hammerman but unfortunately Reid, Obiang and Antonio are all out injured now. :(
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Just to thank those who advised me on parking at Epping station. You were right about the car park, we couldn't find a space but if you drive south of the station there are only single yellows on the streets round there and only a few minutes walk back to catch the tube, pity about the result.
My first visit there, hated the place. :thdn:
it looks like away games for me when I can get a ticket.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Its bugged me the last few games, but Andy Carroll is just constantly out of position. I know he missed the good chance at the end but in terms of build up play he just follows the ball, he has no discipline whatsoever when it comes to positioning. I lost count of the times he ran so deep he was waiting for the ball in areas our Defensive midfield should be covering, other times he is down the flanks and putting crosses in for Snodgrass...

I understand its frustrating when you don't get service but its even more frustrating when your centre forward is not present at the end of attacks due to positioning. He needs to be more disciplined and patient and just wait for the ball in the right areas, he has no effect on the game when he goes walkabouts and its been the case in a few games recently.
bab_whu

Post by bab_whu »

Who became captain after Reid went off?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

bab_whu wrote:Who became captain after Reid went off?
Carroll
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Carroll[/quote]

Oh Carroll. :oops:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes