The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Romford
Big X

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Romford »

On a totally different note...with Turkey being off limits too many, these golf trips that people do must be more difficult to book ?

There are only a certain amount of golf courses near beach resorts....
Chimera
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chimera »

Romford wrote:
The biggest problem with golf is the people that play it sadly....

I'm just glad the penny has dropped.....and you finally realised i was right :wink:
Totally agree, what appealed about our local club was the people... is completely inclusive of everyone, doesn't matter what clothes you wear etc.... biggest question when the mrs asked me to play was to find a club without the golf "tossers".
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Its why Rory is such a breath of fresh air...although i hear his old man is a bit of a rascal :wink:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played The Herfordshire on Saturday - and its a lovely course

would recommend it to all - greens were superb
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Played Finchley yesterday...lovely day for it. Got a voucher, so only £50 for a four ball

Had a cracking lesson the other week, hitting the ball as well as I have ever done, so was very optimistic

However, the reality of being out of the course was very different. Had a half decent front nine (17 points), but awful back nine (11 points) and by the end was really struggling with confidence. Back to the drawing board

One thing i would say is that Finchley is a very friendly club. I am not a member, nor the people I play with, but they treat visitors very well. Unfortunately just a bit far away for me to consider joining

Also, Finchley have changed their caterers. One of the real plus points of Finchley was the food in the clubhouse, especially the Beef and Ale pie, but this isn't on the menu any more
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Played Finchley yesterday...lovely day for it. Got a voucher, so only £50 for a four ball

Had a cracking lesson the other week, hitting the ball as well as I have ever done, so was very optimistic

However, the reality of being out of the course was very different. Had a half decent front nine (17 points), but awful back nine (11 points) and by the end was really struggling with confidence. Back to the drawing board

One thing i would say is that Finchley is a very friendly club. I am not a member, nor the people I play with, but they treat visitors very well. Unfortunately just a bit far away for me to consider joining

Also, Finchley have changed their caterers. One of the real plus points of Finchley was the food in the clubhouse, especially the Beef and Ale pie, but this isn't on the menu any more
Played finchley couple times myself such a lovely course!

and the hertfordshire aswell, only played once but really enjoyed it

Playing Chartham Park tomorrow near gatwick

and wednesday is society day at Alderham golf club in watford

boom!

Went the range today hit 120 balls , was hitting the driver nicely.. really worked on slowly down and good tempo.. started off carrying only 170 ish but by the end was up to 200 carry without increasing speed
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Ended up with 32 points today but mainly down to good putting

poor off the tee in the end which was a shame

slow and steady

alderham tomorrow
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

31 points today in my societies opening event

10th out of 25 though so not bad

ironically 39 putts today.. (wasnt putting bad was just lipping out a lot of putts)

if only could combine todays all round game with yesterdays putting would have been in the top 3
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If it was easy it wouldn't be the challenge it is.

I made a good start today, one over after five, then came stroke index one. OB all down the left, water all down the right with a severely sloping fairway to feed the fish with anything vaguely right. I left it with a nine. That did for me, although I was quite chuffed when a method for dealing with fairway bunkers our pro showed us actually worked when I hit a PW 105 yards onto the green from the sand :D
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:If it was easy it wouldn't be the challenge it is.

I made a good start today, one over after five, then came stroke index one. OB all down the left, water all down the right with a severely sloping fairway to feed the fish with anything vaguely right. I left it with a nine. That did for me, although I was quite chuffed when a method for dealing with fairway bunkers our pro showed us actually worked when I hit a PW 105 yards onto the green from the sand :D
course management was a highlight for me today

3rd hole.. drive hooked left into a hazard (dry though) ... wedged it out onto the fairway.. hybrid onto the green and 2 putts for 2 points
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

A total lack of course management on SI 1 was my downfall. My hybrid off the tee faded into the hazard, where of course I should have dropped out, but as it was lying on some tufts beside the water I went for the Hollywood shot and put it in the water. Dropped out and the adrenaline put my next shot over the back of the green where there's more water. Rinse and repeat. Literally in this case...
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:A total lack of course management on SI 1 was my downfall. My hybrid off the tee faded into the hazard, where of course I should have dropped out, but as it was lying on some tufts beside the water I went for the Hollywood shot and put it in the water. Dropped out and the adrenaline put my next shot over the back of the green where there's more water. Rinse and repeat. Literally in this case...
Hollywood shots are always fun lol I had one yesterday 30 yards to pin but was behind 2 trees.. decided to flop it over.. but then my mate got wind I was about to (group in front) so parked his buggy to watch.. straight through the trees... made the fringe but not the way intended lol
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Can i decently confirm a few things Mumbles....

Currently

You play golf virtually every day
You never go to a match but used to
You have joined a golf forum but you don't like it because it is full of mugs
So you come on here to chat to West Ham fans who play & enjoy the game you love...to get a more enjoyable convo

I think it would help me personally...

I promise i wont take advantage of your answers

Rom
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Romford wrote:Can i decently confirm a few things Mumbles....

Currently

You play golf virtually every day
You never go to a match but used to
You have joined a golf forum but you don't like it because it is full of mugs
So you come on here to chat to West Ham fans who play enjoy the game you love...to get a more enjoyable convo

I think it would help me personally...

I promise i wont take advantage of your answers

Rom
In the sprite of decency,

I play golf once a week currently but some weeks twice work depending. Next two weeks ill be playing once due to nights and a trip away with the family
This season I have been to the OS 4 times , Accrington and Chelsea in the cup then Burnley and Chelsea in the league
I have joined a golf forum but find it a bit too OTT sometimes and also not as many users to get a good convo going. An example is the big debates at the moment are how buggies should be banned to anyone whos not disabled as they think it ruins the course.. yawn
I use the new sports bar for a new level on convo for the golf side however I still use other parts of the forum. Specially on match day I like to follow the match thread if I cant find a stream or am out.. find it much better than following on sky
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cheers mate....I thought you played more than that.
As for this place....you don't have to prove anything to me mate, you are very welcome according to those who run the site and thats what matters.

I'm just trying to understand you really....if that doesn't sound too odd.

Am i right in thinking you've just fallen out of love with the club but still are interested in its well being ?

You have a certain amount of free time and money and you enjoy playing golf than watching West Ham right now.
psychoscoredthelot

Romford wrote: You have a certain amount of free time and money and you enjoy playing golf than watching West Ham right now.
i enjoy watching kittens get killed more than i do watching west ham now
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
i enjoy watching kittens get killed more than i do watching west ham now
The only bit of pussy you see these days mate :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Romford wrote:Cheers mate....I thought you played more than that.
As for this place....you don't have to prove anything to me mate, you are very welcome according to those who run the site and thats what matters.

I'm just trying to understand you really....if that doesn't sound too odd.

Am i right in thinking you've just fallen out of love with the club but still are interested in its well being ?

You have a certain amount of free time and money and you enjoy playing golf than watching West Ham right now.
Think the wife thinks I play more than I do aswell

I am still in love with west ham I watch every game thats on the TV or on a stream and go when and if I can get tickets

I dont play golf on weekends is my rule to spend time with the wife so that rules out west ham most times, all my games have been midweek ones.

However all will change when baby comes.. I have a round a week booked until shes born but after that ill be lucky to get a single round in before march 2035
psychoscoredthelot

thats not true

i went chelsea away in the corporate bit and there were thousands of em
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

mumbles87 wrote:
Think the wife thinks I play more than I do aswell

I am still in love with west ham I watch every game thats on the TV or on a stream and go when and if I can get tickets

I dont play golf on weekends is my rule to spend time with the wife so that rules out west ham most times, all my games have been midweek ones.

However all will change when baby comes.. I have a round a week booked until shes born but after that ill be lucky to get a single round in before march 2035
Cheers for trying to make me understand you :thup:

Make the most of the Children growing up...blink and they will be after a motor