what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

In my experience, its best not to visit Leeds at all.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:In my experience, its best not to visit Leeds at all.
Leeds Castle in Dover is nice....
EDIT
Its not in Dover..
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Hemel Iron wrote:You do realise you can still visit the pub even if there isn't any football on.
Not that desperate to visit Leeds!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

woodgreenspur wrote:Leeds Castle in Dover is nice....
EDIT
Its not in Dover..
It's actually just down the road from me. Can be there in about 10mins.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

BalaamBoy wrote:I'd probably give it a point or two more. It's a decent 'local' in a tourist area, and as long as you time it right, it's really quite good. Can get rammed outside, which is a little off-putting.
To be fair it probably does, must have been feeling stingy when i gave that rating. Last night...

The Victoria, Paddington - Have wanted to go here for a long time and it didn't disappoint. Another Fullers pub about 5 minutes walk down from the station (and where there's a number of **** pubs), was very busy but staff were friendly. A few good pints of ESB were drunk and whilst couldn't get seat inside, happily sat outside. Good relaxed atmosphere, tasty pints. Hopefully next time will get a seat inside as it's rather nice. Seem to have spent half my life going to and from Paddington, taken this long to find a good pub nearby. 8/10.
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

The Bohemia, Finchley. 8/10. I was in here Wednesday night. This is a large modern pub which brews its own beer (London Brewing Company). They serve some very nice ales.

Elephant Inn, Finchley. 6/10. Average Fullers pub. Nothing wrong with it, but not spectacular either.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

The Red Lion, Stevenage

In desperate need of a a calming down juice, I plumped for this among a decent smattering of pubs on Stevenage high street. My choice being swayed by recalling an associates band had played here a few weeks back. A scattering of rock pictures above the bar was by far the highlight. A reasonably priced pint of Purity UBU being the only thing that earned merit.

Despite it being quiet, the clientele was to say dubious. This bearing in mind next door is a wetherspoons style cheap ale house. 2 of the 3 J's were in evidence and one of the other customers was penalty brazen about his recent release from Her Majesty's Pleasure. In true tabloid style I made my excuses and left, being even contemplating a second pint. Making a note not to return in a hurry.

3/10
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:In my experience, its best not to visit Leeds at all.
Leeds is a great drinking city.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Keystone- Johnstone ,near Glasgow.
No real ale, and quite a basic pub, but friendly bar staff and locals..And a cracking chippy opposite :)
Also the rack on the barmaid last Saturday and the amount cleavage on display really bumps the score up a couple of points 8/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Hemel Iron wrote:Leeds is a great drinking city.
Maybe not on a matchday. Last time West Ham were up there they weren't letting any away fans into the pubs. We ended up drinking in a hotel which only had big bottles of Leffe for sale. We walked out of there legless.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

Jolly Sisters
Bride Street,
London N7
Cracking old school pub.No real ale,but the keg stuff was ok(youngers).
Really friendly locals,and proper old school locals at that.
They had a darts match on and brought some of the food over to us after it ended.Which was a nice touch
Would definitely go back.
8.5/10
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Lamb, Lamb's Conduit Street. I was walking past it yesterday and as I had a few hours to kill, I snuck in for a pint. I hadn't been in for a few years and it had barely changed: Bare floor boards, old wooden panelling, rickety bar stools - had a real old school boozer style about it. I know that this is some kind of holy shrine for the CAMRA types, as it does a massive range of ales. I'm not really an ale man but I decided to go for the Tower Special IPA and it was lovely - very close to an old fashioned light ale.

I didn't mind the £4.20 a pint price tag as I was in central London and the beer was very decent indeed. The clientèle was a decent mix of locals, NHS workers, a few office bods and several day trippers, such as me. It's a very friendly pub, the bar man let me taste the Tower before I bought it and I stuck up a conversation with a few NHS workers. I'd go back in a heart beat. 8/10

The Enterprise, Red Lion Street.. It used to be my works local many many years ago. It's really changed and been turned into more of an office bods/city type boozer. I had a pint of UBU special, which was very decent but overpriced at nearly £5.00 for the pint. The all female staff were not very friendly, and only had a rudimentary grasp of English, and I got the vibe that this where office bods come to get trashed after work. Decent bogs though! 6/10

Ye Old City of York High Holburn. Another pub that I haven't been in for years and used to be a works local. Like the Lamb, it hasn't changed, still with the long bar, the flagstone paving and Barrels used as places to park your pints. I was a bit disappointed with the beer selection TBH, with not that many beers on draft. I went with the Sam Smith IPA and it was a very nice pint, being he right side of £4.50 a pint. The atmosphere was loud and the clientèle consisted of locals, a few day trippers and a few office types.

Looking around the place looked a bit dirty and tired and it needs a bit of a refresh, in the same vein as the original design. Crap phone signal too! It's a very nice pub and the only thing that spoilt it was the Dave Courtney look a like - complete with the OTT Courtney suit (mustard velvet waistcoat with lapels anyone? Thought not!) and jewellery, standing up and holding court with his office mates in a loud manner. 7/10
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

You've been getting around a bit lately havent you mr Independent?
Used to be the likes of Bum Daddies from what I remember.
You've gone soft.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Lol Mushy :)

Actually I had a hospital appointment in Anne's Sq and it finished early, so at 4:30 I was up the west end and I had to meet some mates in Old Street for 7:30. As I used to work in Holborn and the surrounding area many years ago, I though F it, I'll visit a few old haunts. Glad I did tbh.

But no worries Mushy, I'll be back to my old haunts, Bum Daddies and The Whittington Stone and probably the BG Working Man's club this weekend!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The Enterprise is a funny old pub. A real mixed bag of punters.
Personally I prefer The Dolphin on the other side of the street.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

WHU Independent wrote:The Lamb, Lamb's Conduit Street. I was walking past it yesterday and as I had a few hours to kill, I snuck in for a pint. I hadn't been in for a few years and it had barely changed: Bare floor boards, old wooden panelling, rickety bar stools - had a real old school boozer style about it. I know that this is some kind of holy shrine for the CAMRA types, as it does a massive range of ales. I'm not really an ale man but I decided to go for the Tower Special IPA and it was lovely - very close to an old fashioned light ale.

I didn't mind the £4.20 a pint price tag as I was in central London and the beer was very decent indeed. The clientèle was a decent mix of locals, NHS workers, a few office bods and several day trippers, such as me. It's a very friendly pub, the bar man let me taste the Tower before I bought it and I stuck up a conversation with a few NHS workers. I'd go back in a heart beat. 8/10
Used to be one of my old haunts as well, although at the time the Sun was better for CAMRA beers and picking up nurses from GOSH. Last time I was back it had sadly been turned into a generic 'Irish' bar.

Is it still there?
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

RichieRiv wrote:The Enterprise is a funny old pub. A real mixed bag of punters.
Personally I prefer The Dolphin on the other side of the street.
Was perusing some grot a while ago and saw a scene that was filmed in there!

Looks like they had Doom Bar on.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote:Was perusing some grot a while ago and saw a scene that was filmed in there!

Looks like they had Doom Bar on.
Did the bird in the scene have red hair?
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Despite the advice of GCRO I went to the Wetherspoons in Leeds station. The beer was fine but it was just a spoons and full of the usual crowd of the unwashed but mixed with travellers bolting down WKD and hogging the bar.

Also made a return to the Oxford Bar in Edinburgh this week. Love this place but it was a bit rammed this time. A couple of pints of excellent Ossian were better than the Jarl.

Moved on from there to the Cambridge Bar, just down the road. A dark blue/light blue evening! This is more of a burger restaurant and a pint of Pentland IPA accompanied a very nice venison burger. Nice enough place but you have to book to get a table to eat. Prefer the Ox.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

Ye Olde White Harte, Hull - A proper pub and a very enjoyable visit. The days alcohol consumption took it's toll on my memory, I want to say the first pint was Theakston Brewery's Old Peculier, the second one from a Hull brewer, i think. Both were very nice, close to £6 for each round, a welcome site in a pub that isn't your standard 'spoons or Sam Smiths. 8/10.