Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Doc H Ball on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm

You got to admit :arry: was the master of getting another year out of seasoned pros. Not so sure with Slav.

On the other hand he's not trusting the kids either. One thing I noticed about Everton the other night is that they're playing youngsters in key games. They're our supposed target right? Well we seem to have an aversion to it.

It's pretty worrying that none of our youth team are deemed worthy of even the subs bench whilst we watch completely overhyped largely foreign *****. Did we leave the Academy behind?

Remember when Ward got chucked in there? Good old Tomkins too had a baptism of fire and now I'd prefer him in the back line over any combination of Ogbonna/Fonte/Collins/Byram/Arbeloa/Kouyate.

If we get 3 points against Swansea on Saturday he should take more risks for the rest if the season. Lining up old timers to shore things up for a year on big money? Pah!
Doc H Ball

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Very reassuring comments here. Clearly highly rated player. It reminds me of the Fonte thread. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Dieter Eckstein on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Really good player, but the modern full back/wing back needs the legs to get up and down the pitch all day long. Man City have been let down by their ageing defence this year, so they're probably looking at a big money injection of fresh legs. I could see us getting one great season out of him. The three year deal is probably just what it takes for a player of his calibre to say yes to us.
Dieter Eckstein

Postby lib2007 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Once again, Payet worked out because he had lost his place playing for France, Lanzini worked out because he's young and hungry and played in a horrible league. Add Antonio, Cresswell...

Zabaleta is a great player, but there's not a chance it's going to end well. Get someone young in.
lib2007

Postby Jumby on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Quality player. A million miles better than what we have. Can take a free kick too. Yeah he's knocking on a bit but we'll get 2 good seasons out of him. His experience will be invaluable if we stay up.

Wasn't this pretty much the exact same thing we said about World Cup winner, Euros winner, Champions League winner and La Liga winner, Arbeloa? Zabaleta around worse players in a worse system can only mean one thing, no.
Jumby

Postby BrownFatwa on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Feckin joke, we've had 2 years to properly scout a RB and the Best we can do is get a past it 32 year old on the way down and give him a 3 year deal. Have we learnt nothing at all? Our scouting system seems to consist of just scanning the 'end of contract' lists. Most we'd get out of him is 1 more year at the top level. A no from me especially with Fonte and Collins both drawing pensions too.
BrownFatwa

Postby OFT on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:12 pm

Mega Ron wrote:Who else are we signing for Mancini?

Reading the City forum yesterday that was suggested by a few on there.
OFT

Postby Colours never run on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:58 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Very reassuring comments here. Clearly highly rated player. It reminds me of the Fonte thread. Pardon?

The big difference being we won't be paying £8m large ones for the privilege. For 2 years, I think it's ideal to finally get someone in that's Premier League ready and top quality at that. And importantly to us a player who strikes me as being able to play in huge stadiums and can cope with the pressure to produce it week in, week out.

Looking further afield, I don't see a vast array of top quality right backs to go for. Few and far between from what I can see.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Yea Why Not on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 am

I can't remember watching him and thinking he's past it. Obviously Pep doesn't fancy him as he has his full backs working the whole line non stop but for us he'd be the best player in his position we've had for god knows how long. Makes me laugh how people talk about free signings. It's almost like you'd rather us have to pay just so you can say we've spent money. It's a myth we don't spend money on players. Look at our net compared to other teams in the league. The problem is we fail to identify value. That falls at the managers feet just as much as the owners. Zabaleta and Defoe in for wages only could be decent imo
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby Colours never run on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:41 am

Yea Why Not wrote:I can't remember watching him and thinking he's past it. Obviously Pep doesn't fancy him as he has his full backs working the whole line non stop but for us he'd be the best player in his position we've had for god knows how long. Makes me laugh how people talk about free signings. It's almost like you'd rather us have to pay just so you can say we've spent money. It's a myth we don't spend money on players. Look at our net compared to other teams in the league. The problem is we fail to identify value. That falls at the managers feet just as much as the owners.

Bang on the money, literally.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Pulls up Trees on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:12 am

What happens when Bilic falls out with him?
Pulls up Trees

Postby hammerman11 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:58 am

Zabaleta will be a good signing for us. model pro hard working, fitter than any of our lot and a hard streak to him Been said many times we are too nice a team to play for. He will add a bit of steel to the team.

Big upgrade on what we have. Would like to see a younger RB come in as I doubt byram will make the position his in the years to come. Who knows who is coming in this summer. As a start I think zabaleta is a good deal for us.

We have fonte and collins who are old CBs so a younger CB is needed. Maybe maguire of hull if they godown. We could give them sodgrass(5m) plus 8m for him valuing the deal at around 13m which is a good deal all round.
hammerman11

Postby YorksHammer on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 am

BrownFatwa wrote:Feckin joke, we've had 2 years to properly scout a RB and the Best we can do is get a past it 32 year old on the way down and give him a 3 year deal. Have we learnt nothing at all? Our scouting system seems to consist of just scanning the 'end of contract' lists. Most we'd get out of him is 1 more year at the top level. A no from me especially with Fonte and Collins both drawing pensions too.

What suggests that Zabaleta is the only player we're getting in at right back?

I wouldn't be too surprised to find it's Zabaleta + another younger guy (Malcuit?) with Arbeloa not getting an extension and Byram on the way out.

Zabaleta comes in as a reliable option, plus will give a new player some good coaching/training on how to adapt to the English game. Should definitely not be a starter for us.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer

Postby Patito on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am

YorksHammer wrote:What suggests that Zabaleta is the only player we're getting in at right back?

Our owners...
Patito

Postby Pulls up Trees on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:33 am

Patito wrote:

Our owners...

and the last 20 years of history...
Pulls up Trees

Postby spod on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am

Byram is our right back in the long term. Whether he makes the grade or not remains to be seen, but in the meantime, Zabaleta takes the pressure off. He'll bring experience, composure and a bit of steel to our erratic back line. It's a good signing.

Tell you what, though. How long before Bilic plays him on the right side of a three? He won't be able to resist.
spod

Postby Ozza on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am

Our transfer policy is a joke and is short term, where is the long term view of this club signing players in their 30's on 3 year deals on big cash is not a well thought through strategy, nothing against Zabaleta.
Ozza

Postby Patito on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:55 am

You have to have a mixture of experience and youth Ozza.

Byram is the younger option we have signed at right back.

Our squad is filled with younger players we have brought in as well, it's not just senior players we have bought.

Out of all the players we signed in the past year, 11 have been under 30 and 2 have been over 30.
Patito

Postby Ozza on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Patito wrote:You have to have a mixture of experience and youth Ozza.

Byram is the younger option we have signed at right back.

Our squad is filled with younger players we have brought in as well, it's not just senior players we have bought.

Out of all the players we signed in the past year, 11 have been under 30 and 2 have been over 30.

fair point bud, maybe it just feels like it because the last two and likely the next 2 / 3 will be well into their 30's and on big contracts, it does worry me though if I'm being honest
Ozza

Postby the pink palermo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:09 pm

At the last world cup Zabaleta made more High Intensity runs than any other player, and covered more distance while at full throttle than any other player .

The epitome of the modern full back .

The issue of course is that was 2 years ago , and how much does he have left in the tank ?

Undoubtedly an upgrade on what we currently have , but hardly one for the future .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion