West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (08/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Re: West Ham United v Swansea City: Match Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sw3hammer wrote:I'm away so no access to motd.
Don't suppose anyone has got a link to the highlights or just the goal?
Much appreciated, cheers all. Well happy this evening for the first sat in a while!

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... -0-swansea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

RichieRiv wrote:I'll take the 3 points but the way some of you are banging on about it, it was a clinical, surgical win.

It was far from it, even up to injury time.

The midfield were missing, Randolph's distribution was pony, Byram is a dirty little **** that will get sent off, our front line couldn't finish their dinner and overall most of our players looked disinterested,

All I can conclude is that most of you look at a win and think we played well. We didn't and most I talked to thought the same.

As I said I'll take 3 points because we need them. Good performance it wasn't.

Baffled by this.

Reasons I thought we played well was because we controlled most of the play, had by far the better chances - at least 5 efforts close to scoring or having scored a a quality winner. Whereas Swansea were reduced to next to nothing.

Our only problem was not having a clinical finisher (we had 2 kicking their heels on the bench) and a Keeper that continues to look shaky and wasteful in possession, but other than that the side looked balanced and well organised bar the odd moment of lapse in concentration which happens in this League. 1-0 really flattered them and going by Clements comments afterwards, he seemed in agreement that they were by far the 2nd best team against us which said a lot about how well we played. By rights it could have been about 3-0 had we got a bit more rub of the green. Snodgrass, Ayew twice, Lanzini, Byram, Calleri chances stand out in my mind as well as Kouyates class finish. I'm struggling to remember their efforts.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

The table looks a lot better after that
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

a high pressure game and we turned up. yes we were not brilliant if we were we wouldnt be in the mess we are in.

However all were committed but if one is being critical I would agree that randolph fonte snodgrass were poor.

however some good performances by ginge, byram, masuaka, kouyate lanzini noble made us good value for the win. should of been 2 but at least we didnt concede at the end and we kept going to the end.

we are safe now and move onto sunderland where we should pick up a point or three.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Strange times at West Ham.

A game we just had to win – and did – and yet the manager, seemingly fighting for his job, makes a series of substitutions as if he was on a death wish. Was there a message sent to the board? Who knows, but it was baffling to many.

Calleri chosen for Antonio when both Carroll and Sakho are on the bench with him. And Calleri gave no indication that he was suited to this level of football at all - far from it. His runs, his positioning, his distribution, his reading of the game – are not of this league. And yet he was the managers choice to go on.

This was compounded when Feghouli replaced the out of touch Snoddy, which sparked an outburst of dissent from the latter. Was he angry at himself, or the manager? Certainly he did nothing of note to justify his place, but being replaced by Feghouli right now must be pretty low on a professional footballers confidence scale.

But, win we did, and the joy shown by all proved a lot of togetherness within the camp. So well done all round.

Crap game to watch though.

Having won this six pointer and now being 8 points clear with just six to play, I reckon we are now just about safe. But complacency at this level is suicide, and a point next week would do nicely.

There is something wrong though. Safe or not, this is looking like it’s going to end in tears.
bbhammer

Post by bbhammer »

We needed that ,but again showed how little talent we have really

More strange decisions by Slav,loved the way Calleri missed another sitter and was slaughtered by the crowd who then burst into Super Slav,the man that put him on in front of Carroll and Sakho etc :eh:
Oldammer

Post by Oldammer »

Aside from the differing opinions regarding the game, could someone please enlighten me.
Kouyate gets booked for running to the crowd after scoring (a ridiculous rule), but about six other players joined him, so why didn't they get booked also?
Does my hucking fead in!
since86

Post by since86 »

bbhammer wrote:We needed that ,but again showed how little talent we have really

More strange decisions by Slav,loved the way Calleri missed another sitter and was slaughtered by the crowd who then burst into Super Slav,the man that put him on in front of Carroll and Sakho etc :eh:
That substitution puzzled me at the time too, but having read some of the posts it was suggested that it was down to fitness worries over both Sakho and Carroll. Who knows if that was the reason, maybe it'll come out over the next few days.
Either way, Calleri is not a Premier League football footballer! Like Tony Gale on Sky was saying, I really don't know what kind of forward he is or what his strengths are.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Swansea were awful yesterday. I wave quite shocked how bad they were. I think they will go down for sure. Quite surprised actually as the picked up a while back.
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Oldammer wrote:Aside from the differing opinions regarding the game, could someone please enlighten me.
Kouyate gets booked for running to the crowd after scoring (a ridiculous rule), but about six other players joined him, so why didn't they get booked also?
Does my hucking fead in!

Because he was the instigator old chap. I agree though....silly rule. Should only apply if players celebrate to opposing fans perhaps.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

All that game proved to me was there are 3 worse teams than us in the league. Answered nothing else on my eyes at all.
Though to bd fair I thought both ill backs played well.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Didnt get the chance to see the game yesterday only watched it today..

Well chuffed for all of us ...great result...

I was reading this thread all the way through just after the game and it came across as a dire game and some piss poor performances...

But I must of seen a different game today... I thought it had everything we wanted to see from the players given the previous results and what was seen as a high stress game on the back of low confidence and at the bowl especially with the btension coming from our lot in the stands at the earlier part of game...

Im over the moon and I aint got any complaints.... bring on the next game!! Ginge was MOTM

And great reactions at end of the game siad so much!!

COYI!!
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Swansea were awful yesterday. I wave quite shocked how bad they were. I think they will go down for sure. Quite surprised actually as the picked up a while back.
Slav, gets grief when we lose, so I have to say 'Well done' yesterday for getting the club an absolutely massive 3 points. Not pretty but in relegation scraps..who cares. Swansea are keeping up to recent form of having ONE shot on target in every game. That's Bournemouth, Middlesbro, Sp*rs & now West Ham. 4 shots on target in 360 minutes of football. :shock:

I'm just thankful there are 3 teams worse than us this season in Sunderland, Boro & Swansea. Next season with Newcastle, Brighton & potentially Leeds or Sheff Wed promoted, we need to be so, so much better next season in every area. This season should be a massive 'Wake Up' warning.
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I agree Cardiff. If we don't gain massive investment we are in for another difficult season.

The owner's might take the cheaper option. That's why I suspect Slav will go in the summer.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I thought Calleri done alright. Put himself about a bit and got in behind their defence a few times, his finishing was poor though obviously from low confidence/ lack of game time.

We created a few good chances notably Ayew should of put away, seem to remember Snodgrass having a headed chance which I think he should of done better. But it would be wrong for me to single players out as collectively I think everyone stuck to their tasks and we importantly we got the win. At no point did I think we looked very convincing but we played some nice stuff at times and Kouyate's goal was very well taken and the build-up play was superb.

Have to admit I was puzzled by the team that started and Slav's decision not to play Sakho or Carroll. Carroll especially would of been good to come of the bench in the second half to pull their defenders about a bit.

Getting back to Calleri, I thought we saw a glimpse of what team we could be if we had pacy frontman running at defenders. Maybe Sakho can be that man in the next few run of games.

3 points at Sunderland would really put any worries at ease and we could go into a slightly tricky run after that with confidence and I would fancy us to pick up points against Victims / Spuds.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Byram and Screamin' Arfur made a total of 28 tackles, interceptions and clearances yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a season record for full backs.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

submerged wrote:Masuaku motm for me. And **** me it was got in there. And want to say a huge thank you to Preston for the ticket. Top geezer, even for a Cornish northerner!.
Preston is a wonderful human being
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
Slav, gets grief when we lose, so I have to say 'Well done' yesterday

Fair play.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Attacking wise I thought we were dreadful yesterday imo. That was because we had no outlet up front. Lanzini (who was excellent once again) had nobody to cross it too, nobody to pass it on so a runner could go through on goal and obviously that's because our main two were just not fit enough.

Defensively we were excellent, which was refreshing. Byram actually defended, bit more of that please.

Morale boosting win but the gaps in the team as others have mentioned are very clear, it needs investment.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

In the cold light of the following day, I still think we were fantastic yesterday.

:scarfer: