The English Summer of Cricket

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Re: The English Summer of Cricket

Post by pablo jaye »

Rio wrote:Did anyone else see Mason Cranes exploits in the week. Not seen much of him before but could be a real find.
Yes, he is one of the gems at Hampshire, my old man spends most of the summer watching them and has mentioned him as one for the future.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

pablo jaye wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39407046

A brave step into the 21st Century, or the death knell for 4 day cricket?

Personally, I think it Is a bit overdue and after all, India and Australia are still pretty handy at the 5 day form of the game despite the IPL and Big Bash. Clearly the T20 Blast isn't pulling in the punters and I think in the longer term, will wither away (they are being compensated as part of the deal), with counties concentrating on 50 over and 4 day game.

If the new T20 competition is a success, then possibly more people will get interested in the longer form of the game. However, the key to this is the matches being on terrestrial TV - hope the ECB, put long term development before short term gain.

As for the 8 teams .......any thoughts????
London
Leeds
Manchester
Nottingham
Cardiff
Southampton
Birmingham
Bristol/Newcastle .....??
I think city-based is a terrible idea. Awful. Do they honestly think Lancashire fans from Liverpool will go and support a Manchester branded team?? Or Sheffield folk will follow Leeds as their Yorkshire team?? Hampshire supporters from Portsmouth going to watch 'Southampton'??

The word is they'll be 2 London teams - possibly London North and London South. Hell will freeze over before I consider affiliating with either of those! :thdn:

Don't those in power understand how tribal, traditional and entrenched these followers are?

A shame because everything else about the proposal is good - T20 as a concept is a great 'soft' introduction to the sport for those not brought up on cricket. Especially the part about terrestrial TV, the lack of which is the main reason cricket has suffered in recent years.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

As I come from a Pompey family, I totally understand the bit about supporting a team from a rival city/town. What are the alternatives - the current T20 model hasn't drawn in punters so what can they do better?
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

The current T20 gets the crowds at some clubs, eg Essex sell out.
As for alternatives to the new competition, they could have put the current T20 on terrestrial tv and given it the publicity this new competition is rumoured to be getting. That way new fans and kids can easily watch and you don't alienate existing fans.
It all smacks of the Brady style of business, try and get in new punters and ignore the existing ones, just assume they will support the new city teams. I don't think a lot of existing fans will be interested, as they support their county.
As for the idea that families are all going to have a lovely day out in the evening at cricket, like in India and Aus is crazy, we just don't have the reliable weather for it.
I'm sure it will all get the go ahead anyway, i just hope it's on terrestrial Trv and that county and test cricket doesn't lose out.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

The idea worked in Australia and India because most of the states are one city affairs where it's obvious who you'd support. Victorians, Melbourne. South Australians, Adelaide etc etc. For England, as has been mentioned, the rivalries are too entrenched. E.g see people from South Wales, Taunton and West Somerset supporting Bristol? Essex and Middlesex, north London with Surrey and Kent South London?

It's a bit of a myth that the current T20 doesn't sell out. Lords' and The Oval were sold out multiple times last year. As were Chelmsford and Taunton (already 70% sold for this year apparently), plus to a lesser extent but still regularly Canterbury (Tunbridge Wells and Beckenham when played there) and Hove. They also got some cracking crowds at Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge and Edgbaston. Ticket sales are up 35% on this point last year as well.

It also looks like players that are involved in the test squads won't be involved anyway. That'll help.
I just don't see it catching on too well here.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

dave_l wrote:The idea worked in Australia and India because most of the states are one city affairs where it's obvious who you'd support. Victorians, Melbourne. South Australians, Adelaide etc etc. For England, as has been mentioned, the rivalries are too entrenched. E.g see people from South Wales, Taunton and West Somerset supporting Bristol? Essex and Middlesex, north London with Surrey and Kent South London?

It's a bit of a myth that the current T20 doesn't sell out. Lords' and The Oval were sold out multiple times last year. As were Chelmsford and Taunton (already 70% sold for this year apparently), plus to a lesser extent but still regularly Canterbury (Tunbridge Wells and Beckenham when played there) and Hove. They also got some cracking crowds at Old Trafford, Headingley, Trent Bridge and Edgbaston. Ticket sales are up 35% on this point last year as well.

It also looks like players that are involved in the test squads won't be involved anyway. That'll help.
I just don't see it catching on too well here.
Agreed, there's no ****ing way I'm supporting a team with the name Leeds or Manchester.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

pablo jaye wrote:As I come from a Pompey family, I totally understand the bit about supporting a team from a rival city/town. What are the alternatives - the current T20 model hasn't drawn in punters so what can they do better?
The rest of the idea is good. It's just the city-based thing that is a big no-no.

Apply the other changes but retaining the County-based approach, and I reckon it'll work.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

A city based approach will ruin cricket. Getting rid of the counties is poor form by the ECB.

Are people really happy with a franchised world like what you see in India and Australia?
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Yes, a couple of good points raised. Aus and India are both vast countries where there is some distance between cities and therefore loyalties are obvious and it would be difficult to see that happening here. Also, why not put the existing T20 on terrestrial TV and bump up the marketing.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

pablo jaye wrote:why not put the existing T20 on terrestrial TV and bump up the marketing.
Would love to see that fella.

Miss the days of cricket on c4!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Great win for Surrey on the opening week of the County Championship. It will only be downhill from now on :D
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Would love to see that fella.

Miss the days of cricket on c4!
They should try have one game a week on live freeview TV - whether that be First class, one day or T20

They worry about falling figures and the simple fact of it is lack of exposure... get a game on a week, get some proper highlight shows...

The people into the sport already will watch, those with kids, siblings etc... and then go from there give it a few years and participation/interest will grow...

Im a northants fan, their game whilst over quickly wouldve been great to watch, quick bowling them out first, put under a bit of pressure in their innings then a quick fire innings to take us into a commanding lead... then another good bowling display to wrap it up...

Might not have the quickness of a t20 game but easily the ebb and flow, good pace of the match and some good displays of talent...

They focus too much on test cricket (yes its the pinnacle of the sport) but to get people interested they need good games...

Look at football Man U vs Chelsea lots of fans will watch but wont have the same entertainment as an everton vs Leicester (as an example)

Every week a thursday to sunday game live, with a second game (a one day) on freeview bbc 2 and bbc 4 for example...

Thats what id be aiming for if i wanted to secure the long term future of the game and the sport
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

New law coming in to force on 1st October. Can't wait for the howls of outrage at the first 'late Mankad'.
https://www.lords.org/news/2017/april/s ... -released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slacking student

WHU_Del wrote:New law coming in to force on 1st October. Can't wait for the howls of outrage at the first 'late Mankad'.
https://www.lords.org/news/2017/april/s ... -released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've never seen a problem with the Mankad, if you leave the crease you gain advantage and should be out. It's very very dozy cricket in my opinion
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Slacking student wrote: I've never seen a problem with the Mankad, if you leave the crease you gain advantage and should be out. It's very very dozy cricket in my opinion
Absolutely, even Bradman didn't have a problem with it. But every time it happens, a debate rages about 'the Spirit of Cricket' :fsake:
Slacking student

Yep the old spirit of cricket debate, a bowler will slate a batsman for not walking but will appeal for a LBW they know that has had the cover knocked off of it.

I've never walked and never will, umpires are there to do a job and it's not for me to give myself out. I did particularly enjoy nicking one once to first slip off a spinner standing there and the umpire shaking his head. The level of abuse I got once I reached 50, was on about 2 at the time was amazing :D
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

WestHamIFC wrote:Terrible news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39721254

:thdn:
Yeah, can't say I'm enthralled by this at all for the reasons mentioned a few weeks ago.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Some confidence building for England in the two ODIs v Ireland, ahead of the ICC trophy, and also good experience for the Irish too.

The schoolboy in me is delighted that England have a Willey and two Balls (one white and one called Jake). They have Wood too! And needless to say, they will be taking precautions with a Johnny!! :thup:
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

.... and what will Adil do?? :lol: