Sunderland 2-2 West Ham Utd (15/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Patito »

Randolph needs to be dropped for his best efforts to ruin my Easter weekend.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

cost me £115

cheers Randy
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought we were excellent until they scored. You can not underestimate the impact a howler by the goalkeeper has on a team especially one in our position. Almost as bad as Randolph was Mariner who gave every decision to Sunderland including some critical ones that 9/10 times would have gone our way. Anichbe manhandled Byram all match without giving a foul away but earned a free kick every time he flopped around when anyone barely touched him or came close to touching him. Khazri committed 7 fouls with no card, and Denayer's foul on Kouyate which didn't even get a free kick was worse than either of Byram's yellows. In fact Khazri, Cattermole, Denayer, Anichibe, Jones and Manquillo all committed similar or worse challenges with no action.
I thought Fonte and a Collins were excellent, and Snodgrass has his best game for us and Arthur was brilliant. Lazini was let down by Kouyate and Fernandes who were lightweight.
The fact is, if not for Randolph, we would have won without a Reid, Ogbonna, Obiang, Noble and Antonio who all would have been starting if available.
The players we had available were probably the weakest squad on show in the premiership all season.
We need a new goalkeeper, right back, centre back, central midfielder wide midfielder and striker.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Hammer Laffers wrote: Good day out despite being hungover as **** after a night out in Sunderland with Rocket where our one abiding memory was a man with a mullet doing a cartwheel across the floor. :lol:
Were you feeling kind of seasick but the crowd cried out for more ?
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

MadMart wrote:reckon this is the worst squad we have had for a while now - bring back Hartson and Kitson
Grant and Zola's sides were worse, we have good players but currently are tactically retarded.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Well that was a fun day , 9 hours of driving for 100 minutes of football , and dropping two points against the worst side in the division .

In fairness to Slaven he started today without Noble, Ogbonna, Reid, Payet, Sakho , Cresswell, Antonio, Obiang and Adrian .That's nearly a starting XI when they're fit, still with us, or in form .

For so many to be missing for a variety of reasons has not made Slavens job any easier , nor has Randolphs recent run of dubious performances .

Next week will see Byram added to the MIA list .All in all today was a reflection of this season, a fragile, spineless display from a team that wants it less than the opposition week after week .

We look a thoroughly disorganised side with problems all over the pitch , and we may struggle to rack up even one more point this season .

A diabolical season .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think Payet is a **** but let's not pretend he didn't have a massive impact. We came 7th last year but without him we would probably have been about 12th.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

the pink palermo wrote: we may struggle to rack up even one more point this season .
Non-attender here but that's how I see it. It's just as well that Swansea are unlikely to transform into a world-class team in the next 5 games. Don't know where the points will come from with our remaining games.

But you never know :crest:
Last edited by vietnammer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We are absolutely **** but for some reason I think we will beat Everton
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

vietnammer wrote:the pink palermo" we may struggle to rack up even one more point this season .

Non-attender here but that's how I see it. It's just as well that Swansea are unlikely to transform into a world-class team in the next 5/6 games. Don't know where the points will come from with our remaining games.

But you never know :crest:
Thankfully we're unlikely to need anymore points as I can't see Swansea or Hull catching us.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We are absolutely **** but for some reason I think we will beat Everton
Can't see it, just too many injuries and suspensions.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Was Adrian unfit :o
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Being honest, this typifies a normal season for us. Last season was abnormally glorious, now we are back to the norm.
It's nothing new. It's just frustrating that the board with the next level bowlacks let us hope....again.
Now is the time for Adrian though. And I have been a Randy backer.
(That sounds a bit wrong to be honest). :o
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

That game typifies us. Worst team in the league but we gift them 2 goals, a soft one from a corner where the keeper is nowhere, and a reasonably routing header out for a centre half that the keeper somehow contrives to gift a goal from.

Game after game were getting so many basics wrong.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

sendô wrote:That game typifies us. Worst team in the league but we gift them 2 goals, a soft one from a corner where the keeper is nowhere, and a reasonably routing header out for a centre half that the keeper somehow contrives to gift a goal from.

Game after game were getting so many basics wrong.
I will edit this for you, game after game Randolph gifts goals !
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

That's just it, I didn't think we played particularly badly yet again, just all fingers of blame generally point in one direction and it's the same gum chewing dipstick who keeps gifting so many soft goals. I feel sorry for the team when they keep seeing their errors go to waste like that. It's happening nearly every game recently. It's painful and very predictable viewing.

And in Slavs slight defence (no pun intended) he's not the only one who keeps selecting him, I've lost count how many times he keeps making people's team sheets time and again.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We are absolutely **** but for some reason I think we will beat Everton
Lukaku :fsake:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

simon1982 wrote:
Some neat touches and hold up play but the fella can't move. We will never progress with him leading the line
Sorry pal but that's rubbish. If Carroll played like he did yesterday and we had real quality and movement around him we would be laughing. I just don't understand what our system is. We aren't an attacking side nor a defensive side and most definitely aren't well balanced. There's a **** load of work that needs doing in the summer. A first choice striker being a priority simply because of Carroll's fitness record. If he was an ever present number 9 would be way down the list.

I actually think we're very lucky to be in the league position we're in mainly thanks to numerous tight and often lucky victories picked up against the worst sides in the league. It could so easily be a different story if those victories went the other way.
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

the pink palermo wrote:In fairness to Slaven he started today without Noble, Ogbonna, Reid, Payet, Sakho , Cresswell, Antonio, Obiang and Adrian .That's nearly a starting XI when they're fit, still with us, or in form .

For so many to be missing for a variety of reasons has not made Slavens job any easier
He chose to start without Cresswell and Adrian. He doesn't get sympathy for that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

James P wrote:[

He chose to start without Cresswell and Adrian. He doesn't get sympathy for that.

Definitely agree 100%.