British Touring Car Championship 2017

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

British Touring Car Championship 2017

Post by Robbie »

Anyone else like their Touring Cars..?
I went to Brands Hatch on Sunday for the seasons opener and it was a great day as always.
Colin Turkington will be in with a shout again this season in the BMW no doubt after watching his class in the 3rd race.
I personally love the Hondas. They look the nuts and I wish Matt Neal all the best this season.
Up to Donnington in two weeks for hopefully more thrills and spills.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: British Touring Car Championship 2017

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I was there too. Great value for a family day, cost me 27 quid entry but all 3 kids free.

The usual exciting racing, great circuit to watch, you can move around and watch each race from a different viewpoint.

Wish F1 was as cheap and accessable!
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Seen most races since 1990, although nearly always on the TV. Love the BTCC and the support race package, especially the nutty kids in their Ginetta's!

I too like the Honda's, although I have as soft spot for Rob Collard who is a tipper driver like me. Turkington is a bloody good driver, as are Shedden and Jordan, IMO the three best drivers.

When it comes to the Championship I have an 'ABP' (Anyone But Plato) policy - pissed myself when he ended up in the wall in race 2! He's one of the best drivers but an arrogant, whingey b*stard and always nice to see him dropped a peg or two!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Used to watch it when it was on Sunday Grandstand back in late 80s and early 90s:

Will Hoy (RIP)
Tim Harvey
Rob Gravett
Alain Menu
John Cleland
Andy Rouse
Steve Soper
Gabrielle Tarquini

'Alain' is often used as slang for a Menu in my social circle i.e "pass the Alain"
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Bend it like Repka wrote:I was there too. Great value for a family day, cost me 27 quid entry but all 3 kids free.

The usual exciting racing, great circuit to watch, you can move around and watch each race from a different viewpoint.

Wish F1 was as cheap and accessable!
Yes mate, it's a great value day out and i find the racing so much better than formula 1.I got bored of that many years ago.
Like Denbighammer and Crouchend, I have watched it on telly for years and in the last 3 years have been going to Brands twice a year and went to Rockingham last year. Looking forward to the trip to Donnington Easter Sunday.
Agree with the Plato comment. Not a favourite of mine either. I agree with the driver combination of Shedden Turkington and Jordan as the standout drivers also. Collard is funny as he can be so gung ho. He spun off on the warm up lap on Sunday. There's always an accident waiting to happen with him, and that's why I love to watch it.
Bend it like Repka

Horrible crash in one of the support races today. Hope the lad recovers ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/39615361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The onboard camera shot was horrible.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Yes. Nasty, horrible accidaent in the F4's. Hope he's ok too. Was trapped in the car for over an hour by all accounts.
BTCC was fantastic racing. Moffat getting his first win the very nice Mercedes A class. Drove a perfect race.
Shedden will be fuming at being excluded in the last race for failing the ride height regulation. Not sure how they can come to that decision as that last race was carnage until the rain stopped and there was damage to most cars. And I'm bitter as I love the Honda's. 8-)
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Billy Monger airlifted to hospital after sustaining serious leg injuries.

I think he was incredibly lucky not to be killed. If his car had submarined under the other one he'd have been a goner for sure. Personally, I'd be amazed if he kept his feet and ever walks properly again.

As for the BTCC, more great racing - shame Shedden's win was taken off him. Shaping up to be a really interesting championship.

Also, does anyone know why Jason Potato is so slow?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Denbighammer wrote:Billy Monger airlifted to hospital after sustaining serious leg injuries.

I think he was incredibly lucky not to be killed. If his car had submarined under the other one he'd have been a goner for sure. Personally, I'd be amazed if he kept his feet and ever walks properly again.

As for the BTCC, more great racing - shame Shedden's win was taken off him. Shaping up to be a really interesting championship.

Also, does anyone know why Jason Potato is so slow?
Again I agree with your sentiments firstly. I hope Billy is ok after that horrible crash.
Plato is indeed having a rough time. A great driver but a bit arrogant for me. Those Subarus are annoyingly loud around a circuit. They have an engine pitch that grates. For that reason alone I'm glad he is performing the way he is.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Confirmed that the poor kid has lost both of his lower legs.
Bend it like Repka

Watching the crash you feared it would be that bad. Terrible shame.