Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Nesticles »

So many things I dislike about West Ham these days, and so many things to feel negative about. I've just come to terms with them and accepted them.

We'll never have another Noble, or someone of his type at this club though imo. Hammers supporter, local lad, able to walk to and from the ground. Walked home after making his debut at the Boleyn. Goes onto become Club Captain. One of the little things to still be proud of. I'll enjoy the rest of his career with West Ham for as long as it continues. I hope he picks up his form, fully understand him (and pretty much off the team) must do better.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Burnley

The argument about Noble isn't that we'd never win without Noble, the argument against Noble has always been we'd be better off with him out of the side, yet all the evidence points towards the opposite. In 11 games, there's been plenty of opportunity at different stages for the Team to perform better and pick up the results to back it up yet it's not happened. To be honest, I'm actually a little surprised myself the evidence points overwhelmingly in Noble's favour, even I would have expected us to at least win a game without him. So for sure, it says a lot of how influential he is on the side when he does play as opposed to when he doesn't.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one CNR. I just can't call it overwhelming evidence based of just 11 games since 2014. If the opposite was also true - ie that we had an amazingly great record when he did play, then I might concede that there's something in it.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm not trying to argue that he's not influential by the way. He most likely is.... but not THAT influential. I would strongly suspect that if we had a sample size of a 100 games instead of just 11, the stats would look a little less dramatic.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Burnley Hammer wrote:Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one CNR. I just can't call it overwhelming evidence based of just 11 games since 2014. If the opposite was also true - ie that we had an amazingly great record when he did play, then I might concede that there's something in it.

But we did have a great record with him playing last season in both the League and Cup. We wouldn't have done so well without him otherwise.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

But not a great record this season. So maybe the fact of whether we win or lose has to do with a multitude of other variables and not just whether Noble plays.
Colours never run

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'm not trying to argue that he's not influential by the way. He most likely is.... but not THAT influential. I would strongly suspect that if we had a sample size of a 100 games instead of just 11, the stats would look a little less dramatic.

Don't sound it...

Not 1 solitary win without him and at different periods of time. That's extremely coincidental if it's not relevant or it is what it is and that's proof he influences the side more by playing than when he doesn't.
Colours never run

Burnley Hammer wrote:But not a great record this season. So maybe the fact of whether we win or lose has to do with a multitude of other variables and not just whether Noble plays.

But we have won games this season when we haven't played well collectively with him playing. Not once without him.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm sorry but all you've found is a cherry picked correlation that, on it's own, is not really conclusive proof of anything.
Colours never run

I've not cherry picked a thing. Someone has put forward stats of when he doesn't play during the past few consecutive seasons of when he doesn't actually play, which is rare in itself because he's usually such a reliable virtual 'ever present'. 11 games is a lot (more than a quarter of a season) considering he's usually picked so it's difficult to give a bigger sample size under those circumstances.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

What was the record like for the 3 years before that particular point in 2014?
Colours never run

Wouldn't know, not seen them yet. I'd be just as intrigued as you to see them.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Because it seems as though they might tell a different story, which is why that particular date in 2014 was chosen.

Again to clarify, I'm not questioning Noble or his ability. I'm simply questioning the use of this stat as evidence
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Because it seems as though they might tell a different story, which is why that particular date in 2014 was chosen.

Again to clarify, I'm not questioning Noble or his ability. I'm simply questioning the use of this stat as evidence
Sorry to interrupt your cosy chat
Noble has been picked by every manager since he appeared on the scene.
He must at least be "quite good". :wink:
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm not disputing that at all Rocketron. Quite good is a fair description.

Meanwhile, the fact that many on here questioned the selection decisions that many of those managers made goes quietly ignored.

Sorry, I'm just being argumentative now for the sake of it :D
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'm not disputing that at all Rocketron. Quite good is a fair description.

Meanwhile, the fact that many on here questioned the selection decisions that many of those managers made goes quietly ignored.

Sorry, I'm just being argumentative now for the sake of it :D
I'm guessing the Leicester game was chosen because the game he missed before then, whenever that may have been, we must have won.

I have no idea how the stats before that game add up seeing as Noble has been first choice under every manager for the past 10 years...
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Noble has been a fine player for us for the past 10 years. no doubt about it. He is not the best in the premier league and has never been chased by a bigger club apart from arsenal about 8 years ago. He has been more than useful for a club of our size and lack of success. However, his legs are going and combined with a larger pitch he cannot get to the ball as much as he used to. He is still a valuable member of the squad and were he not suspended would have played last week and against everton on saturday. He will be missed. However we must start planning for him not being an automatic first choice soon. Maybe that time has not yet come as this has been a poor season by all our players except lanzini antonio and reid. So with stats you can prove anything.
For the time being when fit Nobes plays.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Put better players around Noble and you see a better Noble. :thup:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Agree but we have tried this a few times.
antonio obiang noble lanzini

now we could have fegouli noble kouyate fernandez
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Put better players around Noble and you see a better Noble. :thup:
To be fair, that could probably be applied to any player.

And... if the opposite is also true, then that explains why every player we sign suddenly looks worse once he starts playing for us.