Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Sauce! »

Rocketron wrote:Sorry to interrupt your cosy chat
Noble has been picked by every manager since he appeared on the scene.
He must at least be "quite good". :wink:
Apart from England legend "Roy" Hodgson.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Apart from England legend "Roy" Hodgson.
Could you play for him? I couldn't complete jubbly. I recon this is what went down -

Mrs Nobes - "Mark babes, phone for you, its a Roy someone or other"
Nobes - "thanks love"
Nobes - "Hello, Mark here, who am I talking to?"
Rowy- "It's me, Rowy Hodgson"
Nobes- "Hi Roy, What can I do for you?"
Rowy - "I am thinking of putting you on the standbye list for the Euro's, you know just incase we get injuroies or drugs tested"
Nobes- " Flattered Roy, but I have said to Mrs Nobes that we would take the kids to Centre Parks, got a voucher from the paper and it has to be used that week"
Rowy - "The Euro's are two weeks long Mark"
Nobes - "I wouldn't make any plans for the second week Roy"
Rowy - " Ok, so you don't want to be listed just in case Jack Wheelcha...... Wilshere pulls out injured"
Nobes- "No, you're all right mate, call up Drinksy from Leicester, he's a decent player, good season and all that. Not a beak hound or total spaz"
Rowy - "Ok, thanks. See you when I scout for England at the new West Ham stadium next season"
Nobes - "I don't think so Roy"
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

No Nobes v Everton Saturday, so that another defeat. The team have to beat the Noble hoodoo
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Pop Robson wrote:No Nobes v Everton Saturday, so that another defeat. The team have to beat the Noble hoodoo
We're in terrible form, and have a manager who's possibly facing the sack. We've very recently been on a run of 7 games without a win. I'd say that the odds are we're going to lose most games at the moment with or without Noble.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Hang on, we won in his last game he recently played in a 1-0 against Swansea. Stop making excuses before we've played.

I'm hoping it finally does get broken so we ain't relying on our Captain so much.
Pop Robson
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Just over 14yrs since he became the youngest ever WHU player to appear for the reserves at 15yrs old

Record PL appearances

Record PL Penalties scored, 3rd overall

Picked for WHU by more managers than anyone other player

HOTY runner Up and Young HOTY in his first season

WHU have not won without him in the team since BFS was manager !!

He might not be Zidane but he's West Ham like Sir Trev :scarfer:
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Noble will be on today's Football Focus. Expect Dan Roan to burst in half way through waving a tax bill.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

True love lasts a lifetime .
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

IMO we saw today Noble is way too slow for the system we play,and he's not as good as Nordy as DM, sad to say but I think next season he'll be a bench warmer
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Nonsense on all 3 counts. He did nothing wrong when he came on.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Noble didnt really do anything wrong, in fact he did the job he was expected to do really. Noble just wasn't really needed unless it was a like for like sub with Nordveidt (who was decent). Bringing Noble on for our main threat was just bizarre.. I dont think Noble really deserves any criticism, its just from the bench he wasn't really required as the team didn't look tired and they were in control...i don't think any of the subs made any sense unless there were injuries. Quite honestly baffled with all of the subs except Masuaku who i am guessing was injured.
Borthos

Post by Borthos »

He had no time whatsoever to impact or influence a match which both teams were settling for, barring a golden chance coming their way. He did get to the byline and put in a fairly tasty cross though, which could have turned into our aforementioned golden chance.

He could definitely be disciplined enough to be one of the defensive CMs in a counter attacking wingback formation where he doesn't need pace to get up the pitch, he needs the vision to pass it to the guys with the pace,
Colours never run

The Gibbins wrote:Noble didnt really do anything wrong, in fact he did the job he was expected to do really. Noble just wasn't really needed unless it was a like for like sub with Nordveidt (who was decent). Bringing Noble on for our main threat was just bizarre.. I dont think Noble really deserves any criticism, its just from the bench he wasn't really required as the team didn't look tired and they were in control...i don't think any of the subs made any sense unless there were injuries. Quite honestly baffled with all of the subs except Masuaku who i am guessing was injured.

That's just it, he wasn't and the pint I think people are missing with regards to Bilics logic. He was mainly brought on to sure things up as an experience head who knows how to eat time up and soak up pressure. For instance, there was one moment when we were under the kosh deep in our half, Noble positions himself in front of the ball and their player and feels contact and buys a cheap foul. It frustrated Stoke and bought us a breather just when we needed it. Little things like that make a difference late on and that's the kind of things he was brought on to do which he did.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

What I've seen of him he is too ill disciplined to play the DM role, once the attacker is past him he can't recover, doesn't play the destroyer role, Too prone to risky tackles and has been for years and still hasn't learned the lesson.
He may come from Cannin Than but that's no precedent for anything. As I said in my opinion he a bit part player, can't see him in the team when Obiang is back.
Colours never run

I think you're letting a handful of high profile moments cloud your judgement as he's played the DM role for us successfully for years with the rare occasion of him doing something wrong. But for the most part, he's generally responsible in that role and very good at breaking play up and starting moves off. Not saying he's Kante but he is accomplished in that role and I have no major worries when he's playing around our penalty box like he did today patrolling that area.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Was awful when he came on - Stoke's only dangerous moments came after he played team mates into trouble by the usual soft square ball going ****ing nowhere.

No surprise that we came under the most pressure when he came on. He';s just not good enough to play that role.

Calleri for fletcher should have been the switch - I think the kid probably wonders why the f*** he came to us. He never gets a chance to prove anything.
brooking1966
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Borthos wrote: He could definitely be disciplined enough to be one of the defensive CMs in a counter attacking wingback formation where he doesn't need pace to get up the pitch, he needs the vision to pass it to the guys with the pace,
So what happens when players pass him with pace? Nobes is no threat to go passed a player, which makes him so easy to mark. His player can invariably cheat marking him which overloads our middle with runners.

What is this 'vision' Pirlo/Molby quality he's supposed to have. They lacked pace, but cutely used their bodies to turn out of pressure controlling the tempo & they never treated the ball like a hot potato

I don't see it, he was ok at 18- 21 yrs old showed a lot of promise, but he hasn't got better & is very average, sad wishful thinking that he will reach anything better.

At best he's a tenacious tackler over 10yds always in the thick of the action blood & guts, but all I see now is an air traffic controller.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Don't think he will be starting next season when Cheik, Obiang and Nordtveit are all fit
Colours never run

Lostcoco wrote:Don't think he will be starting next season when Cheik, Obiang and Nordtveit are all fit

We've been hearing this same line for almost every summer for the past 10 years now, yet he keeps his spot. At 30 as our Captain, I see no reason why that should change.

And I now make that 13 games played where we haven't won without him when he hasn't started. Coincidence..
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Even Dan 'da bantz' Walker said we're unlikely to see another Mark Noble again. Praise indeed.

He's the last in a long line of one club legends. Guarantee that when he finally hangs up his boots people will be left scratching their heads wondering why we don't have more academy talent coming through the ranks that crucially stick around.

I'm a bit too young to really appreciate Billy Bonds, so I am just glad that I've witnessed the nearest thing to Bonzo this club is ever going to see again.