Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Jumby »

Exactly, a return as good as anyone we've had for about 30 years in the top division.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

DDHammer wrote:Carroll last 10 years Prem goals:

06/07 - 0
07/08 - 0
08/09 - 3
09/10 - Championship
10/11 - 13
11/12 - 4
12/13 - 7
13/14 - 2
14/15 - 5
15/16 - 9
16/17 - 7

Dreadful return.
Similar to Carlton Cole....who was also a striker we relied upon and never really bothered buying any support for. As I've said many times, the last time we had a group of strikers capable of coping with the rigours of a Premier League season was Bellamy, Ashton, Zamora and Cole. As you can see, that included a couple of sicknotes, but it didn't matter because we had good enough support. We then ended up keeping the 4th choice of those as our main striker for the next 5 years.

We now have one Premier League standard striker who's only capable of around 15 - 20 starts per season, we have one Premier League standard striker who has the hump and refuses to play for us and we have 3 youngsters who may or may not be up to it.

That's not Andy Carroll's fault. Just as it wasn't Carlton Cole's fault that he was the only striker we had for 3 years.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Bellamy, Ashton, Cole, Zamora.

Makes you wonder how we could now have the trainwreck of a striker situation in comparison despite playing in a ground twice as big.

Only Westham
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Ifebbubbles wrote:Makes no odds anyway. The fact of the matter is, no other team in the prem will pay him anywhere close to 75 grand. So its irrelevant. The sad part is that it affects our ability to fund a quality striker who can play/score regularly in his absence.
Trust me it certainly DOES NOT affect our chance to sign a quality striker, what a ridiculous thing to say
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Ozza wrote:
Trust me it certainly DOES NOT affect our chance to sign a quality striker, what a ridiculous thing to say
The last 3 transfer windows says differently.

Show me evidence supporting your argument.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

His minutes per goal is good for us, but for a striker so highly regarded to not hit double figures in over 6 years is a dreadful return for me.

He hasn't scored a cup goal in 6 years either.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Ifebbubbles wrote:Bellamy, Ashton, Cole, Zamora.
As injury prone a quartet as you're likely to find during their time with us, there was a period where three of those were on our books at the same time, never all fully fit at the same time.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Ifebbubbles wrote: The last 3 transfer windows says differently.

Show me evidence supporting your argument.
That's the board, not Andy Carroll.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Behave life, do you think our owners would be raising their skirts at the likes of batshit etc last summer if there was a problem, what were we going to pay them, peanuts?

"show me facts" give it a rest,
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Ifebbubbles wrote:Makes no odds anyway. The fact of the matter is, no other team in the prem will pay him anywhere close to 75 grand. So its irrelevant. The sad part is that it affects our ability to fund a quality striker who can play/score regularly in his absence.
I don't think it does. No more that the fact that we also pay Adrian's wages (whilst it appears that he is unpickable for whatever reason) or Sakho's wages (who refuses to play for us).

Andy Carroll's wages have nothing to do with this. If we don't have the budget for another striker, then we probably shouldn't have signed Snodgrass. Again, this is not Andy Carroll's fault. And frankly he's someone who has always given his all for West Ham and I think is actually worth his wages....as opposed to someone like say Sakho or Arbeloa.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Ozza wrote:Carroll is on 75k per week where's this 100k come from?

I thought it was 90k.
Wr should cut our losses and get rid.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Ozza wrote:Behave life, do you think our owners would be raising their skirts at the likes of batshit etc last summer if there was a problem, what were we going to pay them, peanuts?

"show me facts" give it a rest,
I suppose you also believe we were going to sign Neymar?
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Wages aint the problem about our signings, otherwise we wouldnt have paid Fonte and Snodgrass kings wages, or Zaza or given le sulk a nice rise.

typical lob some **** at Carroll as it all his fault mentality, pathetic
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The trouble with keeping Carroll as Plan A is that whoever is 'back-up' needs to be a similar style of player and there are not many of them about

No point having a Carroll and a Defoe type and then rotating them or whatever, as both would dictate our style of play differently and there would be no consistency

If the club still see Ccarroll as the main man, then you need buy another Gestede or a Llorente etc to compete with him

Personally would prefer a different type of striker leading the line at West Ham so if we can off load then that would be ideal, not so much in terms of the monetary savings, more we can then build a consistent style of play and squad to suit a striker who is more likely to play 30+ games
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The most frustrating thing about Carroll is that if he could stay fit and play every game in a season, he'd easily be a 15-20 league goal a season striker over the last three years:

16/17: 7 goals in 1314 minutes converts to 16 goals in 2970 minutes
15/16: 9 goals in 1431 minutes converts to 21 goals in 3420 minutes
14/15: 5 goals in 1026 minutes converts to 17 goals in 3420 minutes

Much as he might be a slight financial issue for the club, I'd sure hate to see us lining up against him.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Ive said this quite a few times but i'll say it again. Carroll should not be our No1 striker purely because he cant keep fit for long enough. We should get somebody in to be that man and then we can use him sparingly, which hopefully in turn will mean he actually gets through a whole season or at least most of it without breaking down.

new striker
Carroll
Sakho/new striker
Fletcher

I'd love Incheceo or whatever is name is from Man City, even if it was just a seasons loan. I wouldnt mind Son from Spurs either although i think that might also be wishful thinking. Then either sort out Sakho or get rid and replace him. Fletcher is perfectly suitable as a fourth striker. I actually feel sorry for him that Calleri has been given more game time.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Sometimes I wonder whether the Carroll signing, and what happened since, was the tipping point that made the board revert to type with their signings.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Personally would prefer a different type of striker leading the line at West Ham so if we can off load then that would be ideal, not so much in terms of the monetary savings, more we can then build a consistent style of play and squad to suit a striker who is more likely to play 30+ games
none of the strikers slav wanted in the summer were anything like carroll and the one big number 9 who was available he by all accounts wasn't interested in.

he's had to make do, but slav having to set up his team week in week out with a big target man because he doesn't have anyone who can run in behind is like like fat sam being forced to play a false 9 who can't head a ball all season.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Yes, which is my point
What is the point of keeping Carroll (as first choice), if Bilic doesn't really want to play with that type of striker?
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Similar to Carlton Cole....who was also a striker we relied upon and never really bothered buying any support for. As I've said many times, the last time we had a group of strikers capable of coping with the rigours of a Premier League season was Bellamy, Ashton, Zamora and Cole. As you can see, that included a couple of sicknotes, but it didn't matter because we had good enough support. We then ended up keeping the 4th choice of those as our main striker for the next 5 years.

We now have one Premier League standard striker who's only capable of around 15 - 20 starts per season, we have one Premier League standard striker who has the hump and refuses to play for us and we have 3 youngsters who may or may not be up to it.

That's not Andy Carroll's fault. Just as it wasn't Carlton Cole's fault that he was the only striker we had for 3 years.
Difference being, Cole was on about a third of the salary