NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Crouching Peeky wrote:What is the general opinion on the Buccs for next year? I've never really rooted for one team before and decided I'm going to try to for next season.
It's a big season for the Bucs. They are at the crossroads in a couple different ways.

At QB, it's only year 3 for Jameis but I think it will be a big indicator of how high his ceiling is. He really has amazing upside - his arm and leadership skills are top notch. It's the "game manager" component that really has to develop and is what separates the elite QB's. I think he has it in him. He's not helped by having a top WR who is good for 3 drops per game and a RB who can't stay healthy but an elite QB will always find a way to win.

Coaching is also a key area. Management clearly rates Koetter enough to have fired Lovie Smith after a decent season for fear of losing then-coordinator Koetter. Guy has mostly been a college coach, and year 2 is often times when a coach's system gets picked apart after there's a body of work that can be scouted.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Give me De'Angelo Williams over both.

Despite his age, I rate him as an RB1 in his own right and amazed someone hasn't looked to take him.
I think the RB class is very strong this year that many of these big name vet free agents wont find a team until later in the offseason.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I barely ever come on here or check newsnow West Ham but I'm on NFL news pages everyday. Completely out of touch with the club.

Anyone else feel like this?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ i've just PM'd this post to a certain user.
you're ****ed dude!

i guess we won't see much (major) free agent activity until after the draft now, right?
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

warp wrote:

i guess we won't see much (major) free agent activity until after the draft now, right?
There's not much left available. Am hoping the Giants re-sign Hankins. There are a couple deadlines coming up where if players are retained they will collect significant bonuses, so some others may become available.

Sort of surprised that Romo hung 'em up. Really felt like he was one more hit away from a serious injury. He's absorbed a lot of punishment over the years and his body appeared to be totally broken down. I have nothing against the guy but think it's quite foolish for CBS to make him lead analyst right off the bat. He seems to have the personality of tepid dishwater anytime I have heard him speak for more than 30 seconds. 3 hours is a lot of talking. I think there's a decent chance of crashing and burning with this.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Surely the Browns won't do anything stupid like not take Myles Garrett number 1? right? :lol:
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Aztec Hammer wrote:I barely ever come on here or check newsnow West Ham but I'm on NFL news pages everyday. Completely out of touch with the club.

Anyone else feel like this?
Yes. The NFL discussion and running the fantasy league is the main reason I'm on here to be honest.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Dyl wrote:Surely the Browns won't do anything stupid like not take Myles Garrett number 1? right? :lol:
I'm very confident they are taking Garrett. I think they're just leaving it as late as possible before they confirm it as a smart move to exhaust all due diligence. Just in case someone comes in with a monster offer.

The primary issue with the Browns for me is the rumour that they are looking to trade up from 12 for a QB. This QB class is awful and as usual they are being inflated as we get closer.

We need to build the roster with all the early picks we have this year and then somehow get Darnold next year!
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Totally agree with you. Build everywhere and then win no more than 3 games and take the incredible Sam Darnold next year and become a powerhouse for a decade :thup:
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Trouble with that is the Jets look to be all in on the Scam for Sam too! Although knowing them they will probably f*** it up by winning in week 17!

It could be a good QB draft with Lemar Jackson as well. That said...this time 2 years ago everyone loved Hackenberg...
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

antony wrote:Trouble with that is the Jets look to be all in on the Scam for Sam too! Although knowing them they will probably **** it up by winning in week 17!

It could be a good QB draft with Lemar Jackson as well. That said...this time 2 years ago everyone loved Hackenberg...
Jets don't need to scam, they could try their hardest and only win a game or two, utter dogshit roster.

True Re Hackenburg, but Darnold is different, he appears to be an utterly bust-proof, once in a generation talent, seen the same way Andrew luck was but with even better mechanics and more charisma.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Darnold is a fantastic prospect isn't he? The Rose Bowl game (and that final pass) were just the icing on the cake of an amazing season once it became his team. Like you say Dyl, he's poised and cool, laser accurate, a good decision maker and unbelievably clutch. He has a bit of a funky release but even with that, his mechanics are spot on. My only worry is that he doesn't declare after next season if he sees the Browns are picking first!

It's funny to think that Jared Goff is arguably the 4th best QB in Los Angeles right now :lol:
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Depends on his mindset. He may see the Browns the same way a lot of people do, with huge upside if they can just add a few pieces. He could be the biggest star in their history, or he could stay in college and hope someone else is even worse!
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

antony wrote:Trouble with that is the Jets look to be all in on the Scam for Sam too! Although knowing them they will probably **** it up by winning in week 17!

And if had the good sense to spend a couple more seasons at Penn State he would have been able to become a more than respectable NFL quarterback.

More than any other position, QB's benefit from more college starts. With the caveat that the system they play in also matters. Playing nothing but spread offense doesn't develop the skills needed for the NFL, but that certainly wasn't the case at Penn State.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

I like what the Browns are doing. They have so many picks next year that they should be able to move around the board for whoever they want (assuming there isn't someone at number 1 in 2018 like the Jets who are equally as desperate QB wise)
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

I have no idea what the Bears were thinking.

Traded up when there was no need to do so. Overpaid dearly for the privilege, And then made a tremendous reach for a QB who is developmental at best.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Has anyone got a comprehensive list of trades this season?
HammerSaints
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HammerSaints »

Extremely happy with the Saints first round picks.

In hindsight it might have been more prudent to have gone pass rusher at 11 now we know there are a few decent CB's left but taking the number 1 rated CB at 11 was a no brainer.

As for Ramcyzk, Offense? I actually like this pick a lot.

On most mock drafts he was the highest rated OT, ok we need defense bad and probably would have taken Foster or Watt but teams knew that and got in first. I'm happy we didn't trade up.

He probably replaces Zach Strief who will be 34 by week 4 or at least to understudy him and take some hits for him.

We have 3 picks tonight and we need a pass rusher and a safety, I hope one of these is taken at 42 - our first pick tonight.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

I don't watch College football but if T.J Watt has even half of JJ's natural talent then I'm happy with the Steelers pick.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Has anyone got a comprehensive list of trades this season?
Do you mean trades during the draft or involving draft picks? Try this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft#Trades