Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by sendô »

Not a lot, few kilo max and can easily be handballed.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

DasNutNock wrote:
The brain does a lot of the work in "fusing" both images together - presumably cross-eyed people's brains have to work harder to create a 3D picture of the world around them?
The brain is a wonderful thing
I got laser eye surgery done but in one eye only
Took a bit of getting used to but now dont even notice it
Left eye for close up stuff, right for distance, the brain just auto adjusts and objects close and far appear clear in both eyes
yonni
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by yonni »

DasNutNock wrote:Came down from heaven on a Yamaha?
No, it clearly states in the bible that Jesus returned in Triumph to Jerusalem.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Why are affluent areas of the country either very liberal or converative. Two very different ends of the political spectrum. One example of a liberal city is Cambridge, some might say it's the massive student population but I've found most working quite well off people in the city to be very liberal, in other parts of the country these would be tories.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

We_are_BML wrote:Why are affluent areas of the country either very liberal or converative. Two very different ends of the political spectrum. One example of a liberal city is Cambridge, some might say it's the massive student population but I've found most working quite well off people in the city to be very liberal, in other parts of the country these would be tories.
The 'college town' effect maybe? I think a lot of it comes down to how you view money. Some people are simply happy to have plenty of it and others use it as their mechanism of keeping score and want ever-increasing amounts of it. The former type of people tend to be fairly liberal and want to live near other liberals while the others like big houses, German cars and want to live in places where they can have regular cock-measuring contests.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

I noticed some months ago in my local (Harrow) Asda they were selling the Newham Recorder but no other regional London papers. I thought they must have had the wrong delivery but they sell it every week. What's that all about?
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

We_are_BML wrote:Why are affluent areas of the country either very liberal or converative. Two very different ends of the political spectrum. One example of a liberal city is Cambridge, some might say it's the massive student population but I've found most working quite well off people in the city to be very liberal, in other parts of the country these would be tories.
The liberal chap was ousted by labour at the last general election and not unusual for the city to return a labour candidate. Nothing to do with students though. However the more affluent areas south cambs etc will normally return a tory.
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

Depends if that affluence is earned or inherited. Old money can be quite Liberal as a throwback to noblesse oblige while new money tends to be very Conservative.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Why don't McDonalds serve their breakfast items all day?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

They do in the US and it's boosted the share price massively.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

We_are_BML wrote:Why are affluent areas of the country either very liberal or converative. .
You mean as in affluent London?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

ironstu wrote:Why don't McDonalds serve their breakfast items all day?
they do, they just change the shape of the stuff.
the only flavour on offer is "cardboard" anyway.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

If a person travelled back in time to the time of the Black Death, would they naturally be immune to it? Either through hundreds of years of the body adapting or through jabs given at school/GP for other diseases?
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Gormalysis wrote:If a person travelled back in time to the time of the Black Death, would they naturally be immune to it? Either through hundreds of years of the body adapting or through jabs given at school/GP for other diseases?
No. You'd still stand the same chance as anyone else of getting it unless you were to figure out a way of remaining uninfected with fleas. It's a bacterial infection. However, assuming that you had a mid-twentieth century biology text book with you, you'd be able to grow your own penicillin and cure yourself.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

POP POP POP Robson wrote:I noticed some months ago in my local (Harrow) Asda they were selling the Newham Recorder but no other regional London papers. I thought they must have had the wrong delivery but they sell it every week. What's that all about?
Has Newham council done a deal to move people off its waiting lists up to Harrow? I know Redbridge did this a while ago with Canterbury, hence the demand for their old local rag so the displaced can keep up to speed with all the crime and deprivation they've left behind......
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

ironstu wrote:Why don't McDonalds serve their breakfast items all day?
The pork burgers for the muffins are cooked on the same grills as the main menu beef burgers but on different settings so can't cook both at once. Also hash browns cooked in same vats as fries but on different timers so same problem.

If the restaurant was large and the kitchen had sufficient capacity to cook all items at once in theory they could but most don't.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Gormalysis wrote:If a person travelled back in time to the time of the Black Death, would they naturally be immune to it? Either through hundreds of years of the body adapting or through jabs given at school/GP for other diseases?
Ulaanbaishint check point from Russia into Mongolia there are warning signs about the black death, the gophers carry it
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

April, May and June are popular traditional names for females. Why not the other months?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Monkeybubbles wrote:April, May and June are popular traditional names for females. Why not the other months?
I had to look this one up just so I can add it to my portfolio of useless trivia!

Apparently the months and the girls names share the same Etymology, whereby those months (as with some months) typically have Greek / Roman god connections and they themselves have background meanings such as fertility, new life etc

Just so happens that April, May and June have pleasant meanings.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

That January Jones doris has pleasant meanings, if you know what I mean!

(I mean a nice tits and arse)