Stoke City 0-0 West Ham Utd (29/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd match thread

Post by Kitt the car »

The movement off the ball is something that has annoyed me all season, until that is sorted, we won't get very far.

Feel sorry for Calleri, not a goalscorer but puts himself about enough for another proper striker to make use of the space, Ayew just don't use the space. Also realised how much off the ball tussling Calleri us involved with, most of the time resulting in him being fouled
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Normally I think people over react to Slav's subs but today he gave up trying to win the game.

Calleri did well up until the point he hadto shoot. I still think Fletcher showed more in his two starts against the Manchester clubs, but also think Slav is protecting him.

Our solidity with this back 3 and Adrian gives me hope for next season, I'm just not sure what we want to do with Antonio in this formation.

Sell him to Chelsea for £20m I think is the plan
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Kitt the car wrote:The lack of movement off the ball is something that has annoyed me all season, until that is sorted, we won't get very far.

Feel sorry for Calleri, not a goalscorer but puts himself about enough for another proper striker to make use of the space, Ayew just don't use the space. Also realised how much off the ball tussling Calleri us involved with, most of the time resulting in him being fouled
:thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I thought it would be obvious. He plays instead of where Fernandes plays out wide on the wing. He doesn't have to worry about being a full back as he'll have cover at the back, so can concentrate mainly on doing what he does best which is flying up the wing scoring and assisting play. It's a formation that will suit him and if (when) we have injuries up front, he can also fill in as a Striker. There is definitely a place for Antonio in a 352 formation.
Graza

Post by Graza »

A point away to Stoke is always respectable. Factor in our injury woes and just how bad we've been this season I'm happy.

Same as against Everton. Low expectations but back to back clean sheets after how leaky we've been at the back is really good to see.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Yet another clean sheet. What's going on?!

8-)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Colours never run wrote: There is definitely a place for Antonio in a 352 formation.
he hates it at wingback and doesn't want a sniff of defensive responsibilities. which is the manager's fault apparently.

we're not playing 352 either, no one making three at the back work in the modern game is playing two up top.
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

Pob! wrote:Well done West Ham & Super Slav.

Another good away point and a clean sheet :scarfer:
Sorry mate but I can't have that at all. As a guy sat on a packed train back from Stoke the mood is not a well earned point but rather what the fudk is Slav doing. That game should have been won but the two subs ere bloody awful. Ayew looked like our best threat and he brought on Noble. Then Calleri off for Snodgrass was shocking.

This is the first game where I'm more Bilic gone than keep: his decisions were wrong and an insult to all travelling fans. Gave up winning in the 70th minute.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ayew and Calleri have both been playing together up top in 2 games.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote:
he hates it at wingback and doesn't want a sniff of defensive responsibilities. which is the manager's fault apparently.

we're not playing 352 either, no one making three at the back work in the modern game is playing two up top.

We are moat definitely not playing 3 at the back either. It is an ltra conservative 6 at the back. 3 CBs and full backs with a stationary DM
Colours never run

OllyWHU6 wrote:
Sorry mate but I can't have that at all. As a guy sat on a packed train back from Stoke the mood is not a well earned point but rather what the fudk is Slav doing. That game should have been won but the two subs ere bloody awful. Ayew looked like our best threat and he brought on Noble. Then Calleri off for Snodgrass was shocking.

This is the first game where I'm more Bilic gone than keep: his decisions were wrong and an insult to all travelling fans. Gave up winning in the 70th minute.

How did you feel on your journey home from Stoke last May when we left with nothing after bringing on Moses, Emenike and Valencia?

A point is better than f*** all and I for one see his logic in doing what he done.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Swansea will not win 3 our of their last 4. I see them getting a maximum of 6 points. Even if Swansea did do the impossible, I see us getting at least a point at Turfmoor so we are fine.
Marky wrote:They could easily beat Everton, Sunderland and WBA. Those 3 are very beatable
So are Swansea.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Jon wrote:Yet another clean sheet. What's going on?!

8-)
Adrian San Miguel.

2 games back, 2 clean sheets.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

To be fair that result sees us completey safe.

Bilic played the safety cards, bring on Noble and Snodgrass rather than Fletcher and perhaps Feghouli to win what was a winnable game.

Noble was ***** when he came on, no invention as always. Snodders did ok but could have played an earlier ball to Kouyate than he did.

This was damage limitation for Bilic I reckon - respect the point.

we can now hopefully go out and f*** up the Spurs season and also f*** up the bin dippers too.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

That must be us safe now, surely?

If so, we can relax a little and hopefully put the final nail in Spuds title coffin.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Thought Slav played for the point in the second half btw.

Not safe yet. If Swansea lose at OT tomorrow though they'd have to win their last 3 and w d have to lose ours for them to catch us.

Down to 15th now due to Burnley scoring 2.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

i am in a 1 in 10
a number on a list
i am a 1 in 10
even though i don't exist

moi aussi mon ami[/quote]

Like our new left back being subbed today, Signing Off.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

15th with a striker hoping to win the prize of the all time worst Sully South American Striker special leading the line.

Great work West Ham.

At least Arthur continues to impress, seeing a left back tackle and get stuck in has been a revelation.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Could you imagine the outcry on here if he had gone for the win,and like in so many games this season ,we have thrown it away at the end.
I just find it sad that the modern game is always putting negativity into managers and players minds.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Glad with the point and a clean sheet. It's nice to see us defending and keeping goals out consistently again. We've pretty much secured safety now with the recent run of draws after the Swansea win.

Only in 15th but 3 points separate 8 teams 9th to 16th. Tighter than a nuns chuff. Personally I hope we finish 16th as a demonstration to the board that we need a decent level of investment over the summer. Given our remaining fixtures that's our likely final position.