Stoke City 0-0 West Ham Utd (29/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

My, my , Bilic is getting an easy ride isn't he ?

Stoke City were there for the taking , three points would have guaranteed a PL berth for next season, one makes it likely but not certain .

I accept Calleri wouldn't get in my pub team - and he wouldn't by the way .I accept Slaven's options may be limited , but to start with him and yet finish the game without a striker on the pitch was both poor game management and poor man management .If he truly was the Managers only option, then leave him on for the 90 .

At times we played some good stuff, we had a slow start but definitely bossed the 2nd half of the first half , Calleri should have scored and Ayew was unlucky not to .The second half saw us create plenty of chances as well , but the substitutions handed the initiative to Stoke - we sent on Noble, Hughes sent on Crouch .Our Captain had to listen to the boos as Ayew was taken off and he came on , the travelling support clearly disagreeing with the Managers decision .Not long afterwards , the chant went up for Fletcher ........

Slaven may well believe that the point yesterday secures his position , my opinion is it makes his future more uncertain , there were plenty of boos at the end and a lot of cheesed off supporters who saw us fail to press home our advantage and settle for a point way too early .

The Chairman would have to be deaf not to have picked up on the subtle change in tone from the travelling support , and he just might think he could get away with a change in the summer .

A bad day for Slaven .
bobo

Post by bobo »

cockney farmer wrote:Hello people we are NOT safe yet , granted Swansea losing today will help but why is there so much complacency from some on here , we could and should have won Butland was superb Adrian largely redundant .

Strange to hear the boss herald clean sheets , it was de ja vu esq , protect the point

If Swansea lose today it's pretty much done....

They need to win 3 out of four to go above & our goal difference is 14 better that's without us picking up another point (which could happen).

Goal difference is quite a big swing with four/three games to go!

Granted if they win today around 3-0 then it's game on!
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

bobo wrote:If Swansea lose today it's pretty much done....

They need to win 3 out of four to go above & our goal difference is 14 better that's without us picking up another point (which could happen).

Goal difference is quite a big swing with four/three games to go!

Granted if they win today around 3-0 then it's game on!
They win 3 from 4 and we don't get another point GD is irrelevant.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Positive? a point and that is about it, also Adrian looking safe as houses! some players superb last week not the same, when will we have a player consistent in front of goal? Never seen a match so many players slip was the sprinklers on too long or was that the entertainment I was not sure?
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

the pink palermo wrote:A bad day for Slaven .
Another bad day for Slaven...
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

M*A*R*C wrote:Calleri wasn't that bad. We've had worse strikers.
His movement is actually very good, he pulls their defence about and gets into some delightful positions...

He fails on just about everything other than that though...

I don't have a problem with the rabona, it was a shot on target at the earliest possible time he could hit it, I really can't gripe when a striker does that.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Lads have done really well to get us through some very sticky moments this season. Not done and dusted but crickey, it could have been so much worse thus far. At one point on 33 points and not a win in sight, it really looked bad news. Respecting the point again and happy to just flop over the finishing line. Major need to revamp next season with an aging squad and a resurgent Newcastle coming back up.
:crest:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

the pink palermo wrote:My, my , Bilic is getting an easy ride isn't he ?

Stoke City were there for the taking , three points would have guaranteed a PL berth for next season, one makes it likely but not certain .

I accept Calleri wouldn't get in my pub team - and he wouldn't by the way .I accept Slaven's options may be limited , but to start with him and yet finish the game without a striker on the pitch was both poor game management and poor man management .If he truly was the Managers only option, then leave him on for the 90 .

At times we played some good stuff, we had a slow start but definitely bossed the 2nd half of the first half , Calleri should have scored and Ayew was unlucky not to .The second half saw us create plenty of chances as well , but the substitutions handed the initiative to Stoke - we sent on Noble, Hughes sent on Crouch .Our Captain had to listen to the boos as Ayew was taken off and he came on , the travelling support clearly disagreeing with the Managers decision .Not long afterwards , the chant went up for Fletcher ........

Slaven may well believe that the point yesterday secures his position , my opinion is it makes his future more uncertain , there were plenty of boos at the end and a lot of cheesed off supporters who saw us fail to press home our advantage and settle for a point way too early .

The Chairman would have to be deaf not to have picked up on the subtle change in tone from the travelling support , and he just might think he could get away with a change in the summer .

A bad day for Slaven .
Really do agree with you Pinky.

Ayew was okay yesterday but really needs to up his game in coming the to ball more and offering better options to the midfielders but to take him off meant our only going scoring outlet became Calleri. I (strangely) like Calleri and appreciate the role he plays in the team, he's grafting and creating space which his strike partner should be exploiting, something Ayew isn't doing at the moment. But it was absolutely stupid from Slav to leave Calleri on as our only goal scoring outlet. Personally I'd have swapped Ayew for Fletcher and see if he could work in the space Calleri created and then hooking Calleri if it didn't work which would still leave a proper striker on the pitch.

Our fans loudly sang Super Slav in the stands and then half an hour later were undermining him with the even louder singing of Ashley Flechter's name.

Stoke were there for the taking and Slav utterly bottled it, imagine the outrage if our manager wasn't Bilic.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

A centre forward who can't shoot straight is as useful as a perforated condom.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I thought we played well in first half. We got in a lot of scoring opportunities. If Payet and Sakho were on the field we'd have been 3 up. That's just our level at the moment. We haven't got any X factor players to finish off the chances. Agree with most comments about awful subs though. As soon as Noble came on that was the end of attacking. Then when Stoke penned us in instead of bringing on some pace for the counter attacks, we bring on Snodgrass. It was mind boggling.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

To be fair if Big Sam was still in charge he'd have gone for the defensive subs to secure the draw even if we were in the top half and miles clear of relegation.

Poor old Slav can't win...

We could conceivably lose our next three games so the point yesterday was invaluable and has more than likely kept us up by getting to 39 points.

That's the bigger picture. Do people prefer 30 mins of showing no ambition at the end of an away game at Stoke or 46 games of trying to break teams down next season at the likes of Burton Albion?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

bubbles1966 wrote:A centre forward who can't shoot straight is as useful as a perforated condom.
I don't know, works for Kane at Spurs almost all his goals go in the opposite direction he intended.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Calleri was fuckin useless. I'd rather play with 10 men. Slav got that wrong as well as the subs though I agreed with pushing Lanzini further forward.

Hate to see a starting 11 without an Englishman. Bit baffled with line up - Fernandes looked confused at wing back.

Ayew was pelt, flits in and out games. Him and Calleri played 40 yards apart which makes them easy to mark.
The Fletcher chanting was deafening.

Stoke were terrible, we were poor. Butland excellent upon his return and arguably the difference between the two sides in the end.

We ended up with no strikers on the pitch in a game we should have won.

To be fair to Slav he's got some crap players to work with so can't be too harsh. We are where we should be in this league with the players we've got.

The Norwegian dud was ok .... Fairly steady. And he tries so no complaints for me. Always like an insurance man in front of the defence, he's no Kante though. In reality he should be nowhere near the 1st team ..... Cult hero my arse.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

A bad day for Slaven .

Very interesting post from someone who does the miles. Slaven is getting away with murder simply due to the fact that Sullivan is toxic. He is losing a lot of hearts and minds.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

We're moaning about our bench options Stoke brought on a 36 year old up top, I know his done well this season but still gives it some balance.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

THe actual bench may have played better than Calleri
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

but to start with him and yet finish the game without a striker on the pitch was both poor game management and poor man management .

At times we played some good stuff, we had a slow start but definitely bossed the 2nd half of the first half , Calleri should have scored and Ayew was unlucky not to .The second half saw us create plenty of chances as well , but the substitutions handed the initiative to Stoke - we sent on Noble, Hughes sent on Crouch .Our Captain had to listen to the boos as Ayew was taken off and he came on , the travelling support clearly disagreeing with the Managers decision .

Slaven may well believe that the point yesterday secures his position ,

You mistake giving someone ' an easy ride ' for giving someone ' support ' , you're either in the Bilic Camp or you're not , we've all got a choice .
Rather than ' Stoke being there for the taking ' I saw it as more of an even match , both teams had their chances , both Goalkeepers made superb saves and without having the full facts before us as to why Andre Ayew was taken off [ perhaps he was carrying a knock , maybe he was knackered ? ] we cannot comment with full confidence - you tell us that certain West Ham fans were booing the decision to replace Ayew with Mark Noble , perhaps they were booing the substitute rather than the substitution , there are plenty of ignorant West Ham fans about - Calleri was left on the pitch for ten more minutes so replacing Ayew with Fletcher would have meant playing Fletcher as the lone striker - perhaps Bilic knows Fletcher's strengths and weaknesses more than even a well travelled supporter does , and if what Bristolhammer alluded to is correct then perhaps there are other mitigating factors as to why Fletcher is not being played ? That left the Manager with either Byram , Feghouli or Snodgrass as Calleri's replacement , our Manager went with experience as he had done so with the inclusion of Mark Noble . The correct substitutions in my opinion .

A point nearer safety is better than no points nearer safety .
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Just love the way Fletcher has become such a good player by not playing, not showing much when he did come on earlier in the season and not shining for the development squad.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Just love the way Fletcher has become such a good player by not playing, not showing much when he did come on earlier in the season and not shining for the development squad.
Lots of our well informed support demanded Adrian be replaced with Randolph as well .
The Playstation Generation has a lot to answer for .
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Iron-worx wrote:
His movement is actually very good, he pulls their defence about and gets into some delightful positions...

He fails on just about everything other than that though...

I don't have a problem with the rabona, it was a shot on target at the earliest possible time he could hit it, I really can't gripe when a striker does that.
To be perfectly honest i've seen Carroll put in way worse performances for us, but he get's off criticism-free cos he's British presumably.

Calleri looks very low on confidence, it's so easy to read in his body language.

RE: Fletcher, i'm assuming none of the people calling for him to play have actually seen him play?
The Old Man of Storr wrote: Lots of our well informed support demanded Adrian be replaced with Randolph as well .
The Playstation Generation has a lot to answer for .
Yeah, i'm sure the "playstation generation" made that decision :lol: