Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by mumbles87 »

I have never been into boxing. Have now watched 2 fights in my life both of them AJ fights. Just something about him that appeals. Seems down to earth and a genuine nice guy.

Would be good if he could kick on to become one of the best thats ever been
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Last night was an incredible performance from AJ and he answered a lot of questions regarding stamina and ability to go the distance. That was a different Klitchko to the one that got beat by Fury in one of the worst 12 round title fights ive ever seen.
I wouldn't be surpised to see a rematch although it looks like they are gearing up for a showdown with Wilder.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

nickkarkie wrote:We will see. I've put my money where my mouth is, you should also as you are digging me out. So put your money on Joshua ruling the division. I'll happily be proved wrong as I like Joshua and he's entertaining but I judge sport on what I see and not others' opinions.
I'm very much the same, I don't have my opinions influenced by others, I've followed Joshua closely and he's getting better, his raise has been incredible, I don't think another heavyweight will take the division by storm like this ever again, and I think he beats Fury, I really do, especially Hughie. Tyson Fury hasn't got the power to do what Klitschko did to Joshua, he'd have to rely almost solely on outboxing him, which he is more than capable of, but could he go the whole 12 rounds without getting smashed? I doubt it. Getting hit by Anthony Joshua is a lot worse than getting hit by Steve Cunningham. Has Fury got the mental strength for this? So far I think he's proved he hasn't.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Klitchko last night posed the biggest threat anyone in the heavyweight division could be for AJ. He would have beaten anyone else other than Joshua.
If he wants to win another title he would be better off targeting Parker.

AJ is the real deal. He needed that test last night. He also needed to get knocked down and come back to win. I loved Lennox Lewis and when he got knocked out by mccall and Rahman he wasn't able to do what AJ did last night.
There is no one out their other than Klitchko that stands a chance of beating him.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I think, at the very least, he'll have learned that a heavy torso and huge biceps aren't much use over 8+ rounds. Be interesting to see if he can lose a bit from his front and build up his neck/back/triceps a bit. Definitely a good athlete, but must avoid the Bruno "overtrained bodybuilder" bit.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

DasNutNock wrote:I think, at the very least, he'll have learned that a heavy torso and huge biceps aren't much use over 8+ rounds. Be interesting to see if he can lose a bit from his front and build up his neck/back/triceps a bit. Definitely a good athlete, but must avoid the Bruno "overtrained bodybuilder" bit.
Everyone was saying he couldn't go the distance due to his size/muscle. I bet they were all rubbing their hands together in the 6th saying here we go. The fact he recovered and knocked Klitchko out means its all nonsense.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

No question that his cardio was adequate - but would he be better with less nonfunctional muscle? I think he would. The hardest hitters have and concretest chins have never been owned by the walls of muscle with 5% bf.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

DasNutNock wrote:No question that his cardio was adequate - but would he be better with less nonfunctional muscle? I think he would. The hardest hitters have and concretest chins have never been owned by the walls of muscle with 5% bf.
I imagine he has a pretty good team around him looking into everything and I trust them more than people throwing out ifs and buts. There always seems to be people throwing out doubts about AJ. A few fights ago it was he hadn't been tested. Then it was he couldn't fight on past x amount of rounds. Now it appears to be he shouldn't have been knocked down.
At the end of the day hes stopped a guy that hasn't been stopped in what 12 years? Hes thr fastest ever world champ with multiple belts and has finished off everyone put in front of him inside the distance.
The guy should be a national treasure.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Ifebbubbles wrote: At the end of the day hes stopped a guy that hasn't been stopped in what 12 years? Hes thr fastest ever world champ with multiple belts and has finished off everyone put in front of him inside the distance.
The guy should be a national treasure.
But the world is full of nitpicking sh!teaters so unfortunately, less than 24 hours after a fantastic performance, he's almost being written off as a bodybuilder that can throw a punch.

Is there much difference in his and Klitschko's size and muscle mass? No, people want to just pick holes in AJ, it's ridiculous.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Mike Tyson wasn't any different he was just smaller in height.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jumby wrote:But the world is full of nitpicking sh!teaters so unfortunately, less than 24 hours after a fantastic performance, he's almost being written off as a bodybuilder that can throw a punch.

Is there much difference in his and Klitschko's size and muscle mass? No, people want to just pick holes in AJ, it's ridiculous.
Who's picking holes? If you think he's the best version of himself that he can be, you are definitely mistaken. He's clearly a great fighter, but to deny that he has plenty of room for improvement is nuts.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Of course he has room for improvement. But hes still the best heavyweight boxer in the world.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Well I'm interested in seeing how much he can improve, nothing disrespectful or denigrative about that. I come from an MMA background I'm always on the lookout for improvement between bouts.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

DasNutNock wrote:Well I'm interested in seeing how much he can improve, nothing disrespectful or denigrative about that. I come from an MMA background I'm always on the lookout for improvement between bouts.
Last night was the perfect night for him really. He wouldn't have learnt anything from knocking klitchko out in a few rounds. He proved to everyone he can win in different circumstances to a quick finish.
Tyson Fury has been rather quiet on twitter today except for posting up pics of him drinking wine. I wonder if he is a little worried having seen that last night. Bearing in mind he barely caught klitchko with anything.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I thought Fury did pretty well when I watched that fight. Seemed to be in control all 12 rounds, with Klit offering very little in offense. Clearly, Fury was reliant on his size and long jab, but personally, i thought he looked like the better boxer. AJ did exceptionally well to recover in the 6th, though if he'd been more experienced, he probably would have won that in the 5th. But to recover the way he did, then take the fight back to Klit in the 11th was highly impressive.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Especially when you consider that if he doesn't finish the fight in the last 2 rounds he more than likely loses.
I found Furys win over klitchko uninspiring. I don't know what happened to klitchko maybe he got bored of winning and lost his passion/hunger. Last night for me was the best Klitchko has looked in years. Maybe that was down to him being an underdog and challenger for the 1st time in a long long time. But he actually came out looking hungry and wanting to fight. I still think he's got a title left im him if he avoids the Joshua rematch route.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

DasNutNock wrote:
Who's picking holes? If you think he's the best version of himself that he can be, you are definitely mistaken. He's clearly a great fighter, but to deny that he has plenty of room for improvement is nuts.
I'm not denying there isn't room for improvement, AJ said himself that he's not perfect, he's still learning, still improving, but he's doing a bloody good job along the way. Not at any point have I denied that there isn't room for improvement, there's always room, but for that to become the main focus is just silly right now, we should be celebrating this bloke. David Haye couldn't beat him, Tyson Fury beat him but got nowhere near to knocking him out, Joshua smashed him up and put him down three times before the ref stopped it, three times.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

When was the last time there was a British heavyweight that was genuinely this exciting to watch?

Celebrate this bloke, enjoy him, because this is a golden period in British boxing.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

At the moment he's only really beaten, just, an old Klitshko.

I like him but he still has a lot to prove and last night I worried for him when he punched himself out fairly early on in the fight.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Mega Ron wrote:At the moment he's only really beaten, just, an old Klitshko.

I like him but he still has a lot to prove and last night I worried for him when he punched himself out fairly early on in the fight.
Only just beaten him? He battered him putting him on his arse 3 times and the ref stopped it. It was a close fight up until then but he won, and it was a convincing win as well.