what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Southwold Bitter, Ghostship and Lighthouse are.
Ghostship is a lovely pint. They regularly used to have it in my local Wetherspoons but seem to have dropped it now for some reason.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Went to the Bridge House just down the road from Tower Bridge the other day, an Adnams establishment.

Wasn't quite what I was expecting; the pub was done out like a trendy city bar, rather than the cosy Adnams pubs of Suffolk.

Despite this however, the beers were kept in good condition and it's amazing how similar Southwold Bitter, Ghostship and Lighthouse are. All beautiful beers for when the warm weather returns. I'll be back for some more soon.

2 cracking barmaids too I might add. 8-)
Used to drink in there when it was the Copper. Mad pub.
+1 for the Ghostship.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Red Lion - Sheffield

The Brown Bear - Sheffield
Good couple of pubs there GCRO.

Was a student in Sheffield, and to be fair those two are weak pubs by Sheffield standards! The Station tap is fantastic with the brewery in one of the rooms you can sit in!

Kelham Island is a fantastic area for ale. Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat, Harlequin and Shakespeare all fantastic boozers and within about 0.2 of a mile of each other - if that!

Red Lion right on campus, nicest part of Sheffield. Amazing amount of work done to it in the past few years.

The locals claim Sheffield to be the real ale capital of the UK and it's hard to disagree really.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

A selection from a few weeks away...

StormBreaker Brewing, Portland - A full on hipster place but served some pretty good IPAs. The first, Cloud Ripper IPA, was one of the best I've had in a while, though the temperature it was served at was bordering on Aussie level of cold. The second, Right as Rain Pale, was less hoppy and more mellow in flavour. Both $5 each and brewed behind the bar, which was nice to see. A few of the patrons were annoying a f*** though. 6.5/10.

Charlie's Mountain View, Mt. Hood - The stereotypical mountain bar, rough and ready, wood panelled, neon beer advertisements on the wall, ice hockey on the TV, snowing outside. Pints of Ice Pick were average but the Philly Cheesesteak went down very well. The locals were pretty rowdy but I didn't care, it just seemed like a decent pub / bar. 8/10.

Banff Ave Brewing Co., Banff - Another place brewing their own beers. The beers were okay, nothing particularly memorable. The blue cheese chicken burger was pretty good, if not a little expensive. Sat on the balcony with a view of the mountains, with the sunshine beaming down, was pretty glorious. Service was also good and friendly. 8/10.

Troller Ale House, Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver) - After searching for about an hour for a pub / bar, eventually found this place right on the bay in West Vancouver. The views of the bay, marina and the nearby mountains was beautiful but for some reason they had stuck a massive plastic cover of where you would look out onto this view. I can understand that at the height of winter or when it was raining, but not that necessary during a nice spring day. A pint Howe Sound was average, similiar to Newcastle Brown Ale. Could have been a great pub, sadly didn't work out that way. 6/10.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The River side , St Georges Wharf , Vauxhall .

Pub hell , packed with what used to be called Yuppies when I was younger , eye watering prices, and staffed by people who knew nothing about the products they were selling .

One bottle of lager, one pint of IPA and one glass of wine £18.40

2/10
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Black Deer Loughton - 7/10
Friendly local with is predominantly Tottenham but an interesting mix of other teams including some old school West Ham with some interesting stories about what they used to get up to. Whether it is true is anyone's guess.
Usual lagers , ciders , Guinness but only bottle ales. Pool tables , darts , bingo , bands pretty much something for everyone..Should be interesting Friday night!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Wentworth Arms, Mile End.
Went there before the game yesterday. Old school East End pub with no frills. Decent juke box, efficient bar staff and surprisingly decent pint of Guinness. 8/10
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Wentworth Arms, Mile End. Went there Saturday after the beerfest, see below, and completely agree with GCRO's comments. Decent beer, old school crowd, great bar staff and a top Juke box. Top place.

The Mile End Beerfest, Mile End Park. Rocked up here about 3pm Saturday, free entry to the main garden, met loads of mates who I didn't know planned to go and had a blast. Beer was pricey, but good. £10 per Stein (which contained 2 points) Loved the Weissbeer. Sat in the sun, my mates kids had a big play area to run about in and we got a bit "refreshed." You could buy tix into go to the main tent and get free food and some free beer thrown in, and see a band, but it was pleasant sitting in the sun drinking decent beer tbh. My mates said the bratwurst and currywurst were both excellent: well cooked and very tasty. It was nice to see really top, professional and decent security staff for a change.

My only issue was with the Durndels! Maybe they were keeping the Jungen Madchen who wore the durndels with finesse inside the paying area, as they certainly weren't on display in the free park! ;)

The Redchuch Brewery, Bethnal Green: I like this place but last night it was dire. The music was pure cheese, played by a female DJ that took her record selection wayyyy to seriously, and the beer was dreadful. They had just brewed some new IPA and the pint I had was massively too hoppy and young tasting. My mate said it was "underbrewed", if there is such a thing, and it was hard to drink. WE had one glass and left.

Today, after my mammoth sleepathon, I have the squits really badly and am really farty. The problem is I am going out for more beer and a gig tonight! Oh well, I am a glutton or punishment.
Suffolk Iron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Suffolk Iron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Wentworth Arms, Mile End.
Went there before the game yesterday. Old school East End pub with no frills. Decent juke box, efficient bar staff and surprisingly decent pint of Guinness. 8/10
Best pub I know. Was my Grandad's local. As soon as I was legal to go in there I did. Before then I would have to go in the Bancroft Arms as if I went in the Wentworth, I was worried my Grandad would tell my mum. Still go in before every home game for a couple, for old times sake and raise a glass to Grandad. 40 odd years later it is still home.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Half Moon, Herne Hill
8/10
Just been done up by Fullers. I have to say I was really impressed. Had four pints of London Beer Factory's Beyond the Pale. So nice I couldn't switch to anything else. Had a roast which I usually try to avoid in pubs as they're inevitably a disappointment, but it was very good. Well worth a look if you're down that way. Fullers really nail the balance between traditional and pretentious, although it was pretty pricey in there. Quite a lot of kids in there (mine included) but parents weren't letting them run around or mouth off so felt very peaceful. Nice beer garden. Friendly staff. Right near the station.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Another thumbs up for the wentworth arms, best thing about moving grounds is the fact we've been drinking in there before the games, agree with GCRO and WHU Independent comments about the pub. 9/10
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Lamb and Liquor Inn, Holloway Road: Pre gig drinks in this pub, as my mate is a real beer type. I've been here before and am well impressed. First, their Golden Pale Ale was really top notch - light, refreshing, satisfying and not at all bloaty! - secondly, at £3.70 a pint it was a steal. Thirdly the bar staff were really friendly and helpful. Finally, they had a 5 piece Kayley, they were excellent and free of charge. OK it was full of Gooners celebrating their win over the Mancs, but I can forgive them for that.

Really worth investigating if you are in the area.

The Garage, Islington: went to see Theatre of Hate and the last time I was here the beer was a bit pricey. However, two pints of Aspinall's cider for £8 was a bargain - it was also really good!
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Never had a bad night in BG WMC and that includes two New Years' parties. Halloween was great last year and I once won a copy of 50 Shades of Gray in a putting competition on "Coney Island night". "Mariahvision" also a great laugh.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

The White Horse in E6 shuts its doors on Saturday. There's a two year redevelopment in place but I can't see anything reopening there afterwards.

Has The Denmark been converted in to a bistro, yet?
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

The Horse |& Coaches, Covent Garden.

Two lovely pints of Birra Moretti and a truely excellent salt beef sandwich.

8/10
mushy

Post by mushy »

btajim - mcfc wrote:The White Horse in E6 shuts its doors on Saturday. There's a two year redevelopment in place but I can't see anything reopening there afterwards.

Has The Denmark been converted in to a bistro, yet?
Went past there yesterday and it already looked like it was already shut, barriers up everywhere.
Strangely I thought of you as I looked at it.
Two year development doesn't sound like a pub refurb, but also seems a very long time to build some flats.
Denmark still going and still in the same state..
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mushy wrote:Went past there yesterday and it already looked like it was already shut, barriers up everywhere.
Strangely I thought of you as I looked at it.
Two year development doesn't sound like a pub refurb, but also seems a very long time to build some flats.
Denmark still going and still in the same state..
It definitely goes after Saturday. The landlady invited me to the party but I'm in Manchester so no joy. Had a nice welcome when I visited in December.

Did you know any of the regulars? Andy from Somers Town had some stories and if you've ever drank in E6 then you'll know who Al the Bump is.
mushy

Post by mushy »

I have only ever been in there possibly a handful of times in my life.
Only Newham pubs I go in are the Black Lion and the Ruskin, but I do know Al (vaguely).
I wonder where the regulars will go now, the spoons probably, or the Hammers.
Found this planning permission from 2015 though permission only seems to have been granted this year..
https://pa.newham.gov.uk/online-applica ... 3DGJYJX000

Edit -but after having a brief look through the plans it would seem there is going to be a commercial property on the site as well as flats. The pub may live on in some format.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Everybody knows Al. One of my mates from Manchester wanted to chin him once because he came out with a "we don't have ****ing Manchester City supporters in here" when we went to The Denmark pre-West Ham away. Once I got used to his mannerisms then I grew to like him.

The Ruskin was nice but slightly too far for me. I watched Fury beat Klitschko in there once and maybe went in a few other times. A little too expensive too but smart enough for a Newham pub.

I don't want to offend anyone but I'm glad to be out and glad to be gone.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

The Victoria in Paddington.

Had a business meeting there on Tuesday. 400 years old ish and it was a stunning place. All old wood, velvet wallpaper. One of the bars was a library. A must visit.