2 hour marathon attempt

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

2 hour marathon attempt

Post by White Goodman »

Don't know if anyone else had been following the attempt but regardless of the advantages provided, Kipchoge still had to run those 4m 36 second miles .

Feels like a failure as they didn't do what they set out to do but this is a staggering achievement and shows that it is likely that it is physically possible. (although let's face it , can we trust that any of these times are clean?)

The only other person to come close to a 2 hour marathon from memory was Michael Crawford. :)

Wonder what the outcome would have been if they'd done it on a track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39828177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Re: 2 hour marathon attempt

Post by nickkarkie »

I can't even run 1 mile at 4.36 haha.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: 2 hour marathon attempt

Post by White Goodman »

nickkarkie wrote:I can't even run 1 mile at 4.36 haha.
Nor can the vast majority of humans.

I certainly can't unless it was down a very very steep hill and I wasn't worried about knocking my teeth out.

As the article says if he'd gone 26 seconds faster , it's the equivalent of covering each 100m in 17 secs.

Most people can't do that either. Once I mean.