NFL Thread 2017/18

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2016/17

Post by HammerMan2004 »

D C wrote:I don't watch College football but if T.J Watt has even half of JJ's natural talent then I'm happy with the Steelers pick.
For what it's worth JJ has said TJ is far ahead of where he was at that age. Seems like a good pick.

I'm happy the Jets have picked up Adams and Maye. Our secondary was utter gash and needed an overhaul. Still holes all over the place mind you.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:I have no idea what the Bears were thinking.

Traded up when there was no need to do so. Overpaid dearly for the privilege, And then made a tremendous reach for a QB who is developmental at best.
Bizarre. They never even met with the kid then sold the farm to move up 1 spot to get him when they could've stayed where they were or even potentially moved down and still made the pick! Bears fans must be absolutely fuming. :lol:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Dyl wrote:
Bizarre. They never even met with the kid then sold the farm to move up 1 spot to get him when they could've stayed where they were or even potentially moved down and still made the pick! Bears fans must be absolutely fuming. :lol:
49er's laughing all the way on that deal.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: NFL Thread 2017/18

Post by antony »

There is something satisfying about saying the name Samaje Perine...
Might be more new favourite NFL name.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

So, Aaron Hernandez is no longer a convicted murderer. A Massachusetts judge has overturned his conviction, and he's now an innocent man. What I don't understand is whether this would have happened if he had not taken his own life.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c ... SKBN1851WX
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

^^^

Don't think so...as I understand it state law means that the conviction is quashed if someone dies during and appeal.

I read something that suggested he knew that and maybe it prompted the suicide when it happened, as he'll be 'innocent' so his girlfriend and kid might be entitled to some sort of pay out.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Just heard the explanation on the radio. You're correct. In the Commonwealth the case gets thrown out if the defendant dies during the proceedings. Apparently he wrote in his suicide note to his wife something like, "You're rich!" There will be civil cases coming, so chance are that his wife/partner will not be rich. the money will probably go to the families of the victims.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Derek Carr just got PAID.

$125m extension over five years. Highest paid player in NFL history.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

wow!

how's his injury going? (or injuries?)
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

warp wrote:wow!

how's his injury going? (or injuries?)
All news suggests healing fine. shouldn't be any doubt about him starting the season fully fit.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

First pre season game tonight...

Tannehill appears to be crocked. Kap gonna finally get a call?
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Maybe not... Tannehill ok apparently.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

Or not...i give up, too many different reports. Sounds like surgery now.
PeterParkersGlasses

Post by PeterParkersGlasses »

I think he's done for the year - he partially tore that ACL last season and didn't get it repaired... surely that's asking for trouble. Non-contact, his knee just totally buckled.
antony
Tory boy

Post by antony »

What are the odds on anything other than the Pats going 6-0 in division. Crazy.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

smoking jay?

nah, i think they'll play moore, he's not that much worse than tannehill.

speaking of QBs, kaepernick to the ravens? doesn't really seem a great fit, but apparently there was interest.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Many reasons why Kap is not getting a deal, although at this point there's no avoiding the perception that politics is the only reason. No doubt that's part of it but there are many other factors. First off, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. It wasn't an accident that he ended up at Nevada-Reno for college ball. Although the academic rigors are not profound at many major universities, it does usually require a certain level of intellectual ability to master the playbook of the more sophisticated offenses. Also, the style of offense in which Kapernick's skill set is best utilized is not one that is sustainable in the pro game. This is also why RG III is having a tough time finding a job. Most teams are not interested in revamping their entire offense to accommodate a style of play in which the key player is exposed to a much greater likelihood of injury. The reverse of this would be someone like Dak Prescott, who at Mississippi State was asked to be more of a run-pass type of QB and had decent success. However, his conversion to the pro game led to an improvement in his quality of play as he's smart enough to figure out how to read defenses and adjust the call accordingly at the LOS, which is different than the simple post-snap reads he was asked to do in college. The question mark with Prescott is his accuracy, especially outside the hash marks. Will be interesting to see defensive adjustments against the Cowboys this season.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

bitter, what's your take on the Jints this year? Any chance at improvement, or are we stuck until Eli retires?
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote:bitter, what's your take on the Jints this year? Any chance at improvement, or are we stuck until Eli retires?
I am an Eli guy. Fans, especially younger ones, seem to want to judge him based against some mythical standard of passing stats, which is not a great way to judge a QB. Can only imagine what it would have been like if the internet had been around when Phil Simms was drafted. Philip Rivers will go to the Hall of Fame based on passing #'s; Eli will go based on Super Bowls. I know which I prefer.
QB is not a problem spot. Neither is receiver. Brandon Marshall can have a monster year with the attention paid to OBJ, and is at a point in his career where he will keep the focus where it needs to be - no pleasure cruises during the playoffs! Thin at RB and counting on maturity to make a difference with the OL are definitely areas of concern. Defense will be scary good. Other wildcards are a rookie kicker and a schedule that definitely sucks. Start out with 2 national TV games. There are 4 separate cross country trips (Denver, SF, Oakland and Arizona) plus a trip down to Tampa. Our 3 home games vs. NFC East opponents all are bunched in the last 4 weeks of the season - with the trip to Arizona as the 4th game. Lots of pressure there.
The good news is that I don't think anyone in the division has gotten better. Should be ok to make the playoffs and then who knows? Too many confounding variables to be sure but I have a better feeling this season than heading in to the past several.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Interesting situation in Miami. Really can see it going either way. Tannehill definitely divided opinions. Always thought Cutler got a bad wrap and was surprised that he chose to retire. Really a no-lose situation for him so maybe he's less uptight than he has been. Or it all goes pear-shaped for a season until Tannehill comes back or they sign Bridgewater as a FA (assuming he can get healthy again) or draft another QB.