✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by DannyboyDJL »

He needs to calm down all the clown antics and acting like a joker.

He's starting to get right on my tits.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Bend it like Repka wrote:This site never ceases to amaze me. Apparently our Hammer of the Year is a shirker would should be sold so as to cash in on his full value.

Wow.
I know...
Some of the comments in this thread are just ridiculous to be honest...
:thdn:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

DannyboyDJL wrote:He needs to calm down all the clown antics and acting like a joker.

Unfortunately the club will only push this in a bid to make us more family friendly and draw in the kids.
since86

Post by since86 »

DannyboyDJL wrote:He needs to calm down all the clown antics and acting like a joker.

Seriously? You really care about that?
I couldn't give a monkeys as long as he performs, which he clearly has done this season.

Imagine the stick some people would give him if he had a s*** season?? Clearly some fans are just looking for an excuse to hammer him.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

We must have had some seriously **** hot players in the past, and a lot of them, for people not to rate Iron Mic.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

What a result getting our best player of the season tied down to a long contract. A rare piece of good work done by the board.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Ifebbubbles wrote:What a result getting our best player of the season tied down to a long contract. A rare piece of good work done by the board.
He might be Hammer of year and your best player of the season, he certainly isn't mine.

Lanzini, Reid, Obiang all way better than him this season IMO.

For what its worth the clown antics are getting on my tits too. Though in fairness, I'm a grumpy old ****! :D
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Yep I think he should be a right miserable git and ignore the kids at every opportunity and spend all his spare time on the front pages of the papers for getting up to no good !

The lad clearly enjoys being at our club. The club maybe encourage him to carry on a bit. Would people rather he did that stupid pathetic slappy thing that Deli Alli does ?

Keep it up son ! :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2358 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He turned up for England training with a west ham carrier bag.
That is all anyone needs to know
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The hardest thing to do in the game is score goals, yet he does it with regular ease wherever he's asked to play and people would rather focus on trivial **** like his jack the lad antics or focus on how bad of a defender he is?! :lol:

f*** knows what some of yous expect from our players these days but he is one of the last players to criticise for what he's done for us in a West Ham shirt and done it with a big grin on his face representing us in the best possible way.

Love the goals, love the assists, love the tireless work rate, love the never say die attitude, love the piss taking celebrations and general banter in an often sanitised bland modern day footballing environment. He's close to being the complete package and he's only just beginning his prime years with us.

He's a real throwback honest tricky winger and I just love watching him flying up and down our wing and may it happen for many, many more years to come and not just cash in now for a quick buck. If I was to build an archetypal West Ham United winger from scratch, he'd be it.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

How much did he cost us from Forest??
Exactly.
We landed a bargain and need to look after him. It looks like we have now. 8-)
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

I don't know if you all saw the Slav interview the other day but he was talking about the season and he was still mentioning Antonio at right back and how teams play with powerful attacking full backs. Sounds like he may try him there again
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Only out of desperation.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

The problem with a skill set like his is that if he does stop scoring, it's game over as he doesn't have much else.
Colours never run

Pulls up Trees wrote:The problem with a skill set like his is that if he does stop scoring, it's game over as he doesn't have much else.

If only that was true...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... s#p4960187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These season's biggest contributors to goals:

9 Dimitri Payet (23 points)
8 Michail Antonio (20 points)
5 Winston Reid (10 points

Last season's top boys:

16 Dimitri Payet (45 points)
8 Michail Antonio (22 points)
6 Manuel Lanzini (18 points
Last edited by Colours never run on Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Pulls up Trees wrote:The problem with a skill set like his is that if he does stop scoring, it's game over as he doesn't have much else.
Chat ****, get banged
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I like Antonio, the poster who described him as unorthodox has used a good word there. I might have already posted this on the thread previously but he reminds me a little of Harewood in that one minute he can't trap a bag of cement and the next produces the most sublime piece of skill. Great physicality as well. I don't see him as a shirker at all, I have seen him occasionally look like he is having a strop during a game when things are not happening for him. I call it his silly b*llocks mode.

Players like Antonio are very difficult for the opposition to handle because they are unpredictable.

Antonio has been a fantastic buy, to sell him may possibly be a good move for the balance sheet but I don't pay my money each week to watch a balance sheet.
Colours never run

Exactly that. Hes unpredictable, unorthodox and awkward for any opposition. Yes he can look clumsy at times with his rawness but that doesn't overshadow all the genuine quality work he does so often on the pitch. Opposition players must **** a brick when faced against him as they will know by now that they will be in for one hell of a game to try and keep him quiet. In most games he has done something good for us which cannot be easily overlooked or played down.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

It's possible to recognise all of his strengths - which you outline comprehensively CNR - but still believe he can be an awkward fit into a certain style of play.

There were periods when Payet was around that our play was more short passing/possession based, and his lack of a footballing brain, shall we say, let him down. Sure, he still popped up with some glorious headers, but contribution to build up play was hit and miss.

I think he has adapted to this somewhat; he's no way near as raw as he used to be, but he's too old to be raw now. No, he's just a player who loves fast direct football, beating players on the wing, and muscling in the box.

Mostly because of the above, still think he's best played as a second striker who constantly works the channels. Related to the other thread on slav, I'd be looking to partner him up with someone in the poacher mould (Defoe would be ideal) with Lanzini playing in the hole.
Colours never run

DrVenk wrote: his lack of a footballing brain, shall we say, let him down. Sure, he still popped up with some glorious headers, but contribution to build up play was hit and miss.

I've not seen someone ghost into the box picking up intelligent positions with ease or regularly beat a man down the wing as much as him in a West Ham shirt in a long time. Not since Tricky Trev have I seen someone do what he does. And for me, it shows plenty of footballing intelligence to keep picking up goal scoring positions where he often calmly and clinically finishes. But not just that, contrary to popular belief he doesn't make things happen, has actually assisted and contributed to plenty of goals second only to Payet (doesn't even take corners/free kicks) as the post above clearly illustrates in only 1 and a half years playing in the Premier League. He doesn't get enough credit for having a footballing brain for a player who has had to be shunted about on both wings as well as up front and even at right back furthest away from the opposition's goal. That also shows a real willingness and understanding to fill in wherever the manager requires him to play somewhere else for the sake of the team and shows the faith Bilic has in his ability.

Also when taking last season in to account, he only had 6 months to get to grips with a new harder League which is the more impressive when you consider his overall contributions in double quick time with no time to settle in once he did finally get the nod turn of the year.

If I was to pick out his biggest fault, it would be his technique let's him down at times. His passing can be very slack which is the part of his game that does need brushing up on but it can be worked on the more he's playing with better Premier League players and call-ups to the National side where I think we've already seen gradual improvements of that side tp his game as time passes by.