Burnley 1-2 West Ham Utd (21/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: Match thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Burnley was going to be a tough place to go , as others have said they've been very good at Home this season but our form since Arsenal , Liverpool aside had also been very good and I was confident of getting a result at Turf Moor today - This has been a bit of a Merry-Go-Round Season to say the least but we got through it - if we're savvy in the market and buy 4 maybe 5 quality players we'll have a Squad prepared to give Top 8 another finish next season .
Well done West Ham , well done , Slaven , well done the players and well done all you supporters who turn up week in week out .
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Leicester won the league last year and finished below both of us.

Not sure where this fans through the gate b*llocks has come from either. Newcastle get 52,000? and weren't even in the same division as Bournemouth.

Pleased with today, looks like we wanted it a lot more than Burnley...that in itself was good to see. Good to see Bilic speak about the strength of the squad, but needing to improve the first team.

Also nice to see Spurs score 6 at Leicester, 7 at Hull and not as much as a rippled side netting at West Ham :lol:.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2365 likes

Post by Ozza »

Puff you've gone mad, every single one of those spuds players is better than anything we have except lanzini
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

On the coach home now. Happy with our performance today, happy with our day out. We need to invest in the summer though, a striker, younger CB and some cover at LB.

It was nice as it always is, saying goodbye at the end of the match chatting with people and wishing them a happy summer. We will all be back next year so enjoy the break everyone! It can only get better
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Eriksen is also a superb player for Sperz. When you've got players like him about it makes it easy for the rest to do their jobs. That plus the 4 full backs.

Anyway, I'd hope that the board don't see this season as a success. Slav needs to be backed with the right players. I have some misgivings about both Slav and Sully's approach to transfers but I hope they switch on to what the team needs rather than Sully specials and Gokhan Tore types.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Peaches wrote:Just for those who think this victory should have been automatic, it is worth remembering we were missing Reid, Masuaku, Obiang, Kouyate, Noble, Carroll, Antonio, Nordtveit, Calleri and Sakho from an already flawed squad. We played without a senior central midfielder or striker.

-----Sakho---------Carroll--------Antonio

---------Noble----Obiang---Nortveit--

--Masuaku---Reid----Kouyate----Arbeloa

-----------------------Calleri

All unavailable today for one reason or another. :arry:
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Ozza wrote:Puff you've gone mad, every single one of those spuds players is better than anything we have except lanzini
I'm not sure he's ever been anything but mad, but he was referring to Bournemouth not Spurs. :lol:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Trying to work out if Calleri is up front or in goal.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Yea Why Not wrote:**** wage bills, **** transfer fees and **** stadium capacities. The more clubs that break rank the better
Don't disagree. Doesn't mitigate our own deficiencies though.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Trying to work out if Calleri is up front or in goal.
He's been very effective at making sure the ball don't go in.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

:lol:
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

bondsbootlaces wrote:We need to invest in the summer though, a striker, younger CB and some cover at LB.

er
I think that's the minimum we need just to standstill mate....
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great picture from today's game
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

You are quite right, they shouldn't. One to eleven, their players, perhaps with or two exceptions, are no better than ours and there is not much to choose between the two managers either, so it comes down to the running of the respective clubs and I know I keep banging on about it, but player fitness and coaching and there is the big difference. I hope we address that this summer as well as player recruitment, because we need some major surgery in many positions[/quote]

You're mad or delusional .they have a striker who's won the golden boot 2 years running .possibly the best young no 10 in European football .i could go on but it's too painful .
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Yea Why Not wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great picture from today's game
Brilliant!!!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

bubbles500 wrote:
You're mad or delusional .they have a striker who's won the golden boot 2 years running .possibly the best young no 10 in European football .i could go on but it's too painful .

They have a more reliable striker in front of goal than us, and I have no one idea whom you are referring to in this outstanding no10 whom you think is possibly the best in European football and they have a very good right wing back, who is better than ours, but I think that is just about it. They are just better coached, that's all
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

2 ginger pele's, There's only 2 ginger pele's!
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

What was the final record for Burnley at home?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Felt a bit like Fernandes had a moment today, a bit like Masuaku did a few weeks ago, when you see them properly click into a new gear for maybe the first time. It didn't quite last into the second half, but for the opening 35-40 mins he was acting like the central playmaker, and the other players seemed to respond to it.

It's going to be interesting to see him next season. Hopefully he can kick on.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just home after another enjoyable day out. Although there's been some desperate moments this season, I've had lots of good away days. For that alone I thank Slav.

I've not seen many flares thrown onto a lower league county cricket match or a golden duck celebrated with a chorus of 'you're ****ing ****', but drinking cheap beer in a cricket club within falling distance of the ground is a bloody good idea. They should build one in our gated community of a stadium.

I didn't give us a prayer and after the first I feared the worst, but from somewhere unknown our clutch of useless new players actually looked quite useful. Ayew's looking like a sniffer and Fernandes is one to keep for sure.

The highlight of the season for me though has been seeing Lanzini grow into a top class player. Not only has he got vision and touch, but he's a tough nugget of a player. We were talking about Payet being the best player we'd had since DiCanio, but that can all be ripped up now. Fabulous.

We can all move on now, fans, manager, squad and board. This past month has been crucial - all thoughts if changing manager should be binned.