Burnley 1-2 West Ham Utd (21/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: Match thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

This season was forgetful and I won't miss it, but we did finish 11th, which is probably higher than I thought given the stadium? move and all the behind the scenes problems.

The season we all expect really. Onto the next.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Those saying get rid of Slav, you should try telling that to the 3000 who traveled up there today, great support, no moaning (much) when we went 1-0 down but the 5 away games I've been to since I've got back the away support has been solid behind Slav. The main complaint I noticed was sticking with Randolph when it was clear he's not good enough to be the first choice keeper.

One small thing, the staff in the food kiosks all had West Ham t-shirts on, I asked the girl who served me if they did that for every away team and she said they did, not a big deal but I thought it was a classy touch from the home team.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

The ref tried his best for them, but they still lost. How that Westwood stayed on the pitch...

Already looking forward to next season.
traxop

Post by traxop »

A bit of a shame that we couldn't kept a clean sheet yesterday. How that cross managed to bypass 3-4 players on it's way to Vokes is still a mystery to me.

At least the game told us something, and that is thank god, Bilic, the board did not splashed the cash on the likes of Brady or Gray in the transfer windows. It should have been a showcase game for the likes of Gray. We had two CBs over 30 and not much pace, held a high line and our wide men went forward at every opportunity. He should have skinned us alive around the edge of the wide areas with pace and movement - like how the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Sanchez have done to us this season, but instead he was largely held by Ginge - and Collins did not have a good game at all.

I hope the board priorities quality over bodies this upcoming transfer window.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

I was expecting the worst after seeing the line up. I thought it mad to risk Ogbonna in a dead rubber. We only had six on the bench – something was surely wrong. I find it hard to believe the Masuaki injury story. It was just a slight niggle all those games ago. Anyway, the bench (or an outright mutiny) seems to confirm it.

Initially we were missing something: oo-ordination and height up front especially. There seemed to be a bit of arguing going on – especially between Snoddy and whoever he happened to be near up front.

The relative old age in our side showed as we conceded the first goal. But, lo and behold we scored a lovely equaliser with Feghouli the unlikely hero.

As it went on, there were times when I thought we were very suspect and looked fragile. I thought we needed a fresh pair of legs around the hour mark. The front “runners” seemed to have run out of game plans. And then, just as surprising as the first goal, we went forward and got another! After that I don’t think we really looked troubled and cruised to an unlikely victory.

Pleased to see young Rice come on. I thought he looked quite good in those few short minutes. A couple of strong tackles, some neat distribution. And he’s a tall lad for a change. More of the same please. A pleasing end to a good day out to all the travelling faithful.

And that’s it for another year. At the end of the day, 11th is a reasonable position, especially as we were level on points with 10th. But it’s papering over the cracks in reality though. We all know it deep down.

There’s a lot to be done this Summer. :crest:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I assume we only had 6 on the bench as Nord travelled but didn't end up being named in the squad due to back pain
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good day out yesterday with 3 fellow middle aged men who really should have better things to do with their lives :raver: I'm glad they don't though , good company all season as always .

Overall we played ok save for the cheap goal we gave away , with Fernandes being the pick of the bunch for a first half performance that was good to watch .Our equaliser was superb , absolutely double mustard , everything you want from a West Ham team , movement, speed of thought , three players involved with quick, close passing and a bit of swagger .

The winner owed everything to Ayew being in the right place at the right time , a skill in itself which the likes of Calleri simply lack .Nous, a nose for goal, instinct , call it what you will, but Ayew has it and in some ways it's a shame he will most likely be off in the summer .His goal though owed much to the superbly weighted pass from Fernandes to, I think Byram, followed up by when the ball came back to him, a cracking shot from which Ayew eventually benefited .The timing on the initial pass from Fernandes though was the key to the whole move .Beautifully weighted .

Collins was solid other than on one occasion getting done for pace, his experience though ensured he didn't hack Vokes down , he continued to defend the situation and we got away with it .Having said that it was the second time in recent weeks players have pushed the ball past him with ease .He's been an absolute warrior for us , well deserving of a testimonial if you ask me, but the end is coming , and it will come quickly .Hats off to the bloke in the stand who was his doppelganger for the day , I think he was the same bloke who went full kit at Hull ,Very good .

Despite it being a nice way to finish the season, the win securing 11th place does not really paint the right picture for the season overall .We were a poor 11th with a huge negative goal difference playing some pretty turgid, disjointed football at times for sustained periods .All of the teams we finished above, perhaps with the exception of Leicester given the fact they were champions last year , we "should" have done given the natural order of things , with only two clubs outperforming us on the same scale that we would normally have reasonable grounds to expect to finish above .Bournemouth have though invested heavily and West Brom have benefited from having few if any injuries this season .The gap though from ourselves and Saints up to Everton and above was huge , and only investment will resolve that .

Slaven will see us into his third season but faces constant speculation with regards his position due to unrealistic demands from his employers .Everton have finished where they have due to 25 goals from Romelu Lukaku .Their owners put the money down and reaped the rewards .Spending big money isn't always the answer but recruiting the right players is and we simply cannot afford yet another window of poor recruitment .Heaton who we saw yesterday would have been a better option in goal for us this season than Randolph, as an example .

Overall an ordinary season in extraordinary circumstances , but to finish 11th in a season we have moved home isn't the worst performance we'll ever see .Nest season though needs to see better football and a happier camp to see Slaven get a fourth year .Decisive action is required on Sakho, Carroll and the obvious gaps in the squad .
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

Hammer.CA wrote: One small thing, the staff in the food kiosks all had West Ham t-shirts on, I asked the girl who served me if they did that for every away team and she said they did, not a big deal but I thought it was a classy touch from the home team.
In addition to this they had someone handing out free t-shirts (the same style as the kiosk staff) - probably about 20 or 30. Well done Burnley.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Nice summary pinky. :thup:

I read last week, that without Lukaku's goals, Everton would have finished in exactly the same position.
I'm not sure how true that it is mind.

Also, if only Kanes goals had counted for spurs, they would have still finished 2 points above us, again how true that is I don't know.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a goal scorer.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

great away day, have to say, its one of my favourites...great banter at the cricket club...seen our lot get slated on social media for the flare at the cricket club, but it was just banter and i think the cricket players enjoyed having a crowd!

felt like an end of season match, a few played like they were looking to impress watching clubs, and i was gutted the kids didnt get an earlier run out, but all was good to see young declan rice make his full debut

onwards and upwards...time to get our business done...do it quickly, and learn from this season, we have to show some ambition
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Guys I think Puff's talking about Bournemouth not Spurs (correct me if I'm wrong).

Big fan of Howe and the way he asks his team to play, so I'm happy they've done well. Fair play to them.

Nice to end our own season on a win, with only one (albeit resounding) loss in our last 7(?).

Now let's hope for a big summer.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Yesterday's result also makes a mockery of Wengers barbed statement aimed at us we are on our holidays because Liverpool wanted it more. Funny, it looked like we wanted it more than the opposition yesterday.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

EDIT - pointless waffle
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

As others have said - a really good day out. Never been there before - would happily go back there again in preference to anywhere else in the North West. Proper ground - decent fans - I can't blame the kidlets for running on at the end - we used to do the same :)

I thought we'd lose yesterday but despite a poor-ish start and going one down we thoroughly deserved to win - three one would have been a fairer score. We, pleasantly surpisingly to me, played like the game mattered - good effort from all.

Fernandez has real potential. I see he's still getting slated on here but I thought Snoddy put huge effort in without reward. But he was part of a team with a real work ethic that strangled an admittedly limited Burnley.

I hope Feghouli stays. It's a cliche but there is most definitely a player there. When he's on it he looks a handful and adds to the cohesion, options and vitality of the team. That player rather than the gutless one who hugged the touchline against Chelsea the other month is a huge asset to this club.

Ayew too. Thankfully he was only about a foot out this time rather than last week's foot and a half - another smiley thing - but yet again he's Johnny on the spot. I get the view that we didn't need to sign him but sign him we did. I think it would be a shame after his awful (through injury) start to the season if he was jettisoned now just as we're seeing what he can do. A winning goal, a really clever assist (both together would have paid for this year's instalment to Swansea all in one go wouldn't they?) and movement and neatness were the epitome of what we were about in the last 35 yards or so yesterday.

Lastly I loved the beer tent. Needed the (good weather) day we got of course but just was relaxed good place to be. Respect to the Northern Hammers ( good mate or two amongst them) and also to the second Ginger Pele - brilliant.

ps - watching the short, funny bloke unsuccessfully trying to use a round bin (on its side) to stand on so he could piss in the urinal before the game was worth the entrance fee on it's own. Seen some funny things at footie over the years but that was up with the best of them.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

school in the morning :lol:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Did not expect those 3 points yesterday. Well done lads and respect to all of you who went up there :thup:
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:ps - watching the short, funny bloke unsuccessfully trying to use a round bin (on its side) to stand on so he could piss in the urinal before the game was worth the entrance fee on it's own. Seen some funny things at footie over the years but that was up with the best of them.
I can see this for me!

Do you reckon this as THE moment of the season? :-)
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Really good day out, for a dead rubber.

Second time at Burnley, kept a 100% winning record on my two visits. Good old fashioned ground which I always prefer, was a decent game with neither team having much to play for, helped for attacking football.

Still glad the seasons over, need teo months to recharge my batteries and enthusiasm after a poor year all round. And my arse has only just woken up after that coach journey home!
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Doc H Ball wrote:Just home after another enjoyable day out. Although there's been some desperate moments this season, I've had lots of good away days. For that alone I thank Slav.

I've not seen many flares thrown onto a lower league county cricket match or a golden duck celebrated with a chorus of 'you're ****ing ****', but drinking cheap beer in a cricket club within falling distance of the ground is a bloody good idea. They should build one in our gated community of a stadium.

I didn't give us a prayer and after the first I feared the worst, but from somewhere unknown our clutch of useless new players actually looked quite useful. Ayew's looking like a sniffer and Fernandes is one to keep for sure.

The highlight of the season for me though has been seeing Lanzini grow into a top class player. Not only has he got vision and touch, but he's a tough nugget of a player. We were talking about Payet being the best player we'd had since DiCanio, but that can all be ripped up now. Fabulous.

We can all move on now, fans, manager, squad and board. This past month has been crucial - all thoughts if changing manager should be binned.
Brilliant post Doc. :thup:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I think credit has to be given to Burnley football club with the way they do some little things that just show they are a proper club with proper football people in the boardroom who are there for the club and not their bank balances.

Burnley are not a wealthy club, nor are they a big club despite their long history. Sending out the guide to Turf Moor was something they did not need to do, but thanks to that I parked somewhere I hadn't before and it was much better. They set up the beer tent, new for this season with staff wearing WH shirts. I read on here that they gave out some shirts as well. Just small gestures that show they appreciate that football fans are an important part of the game and not just a cash cow.

Contrast to another club in claret and blue and and how they view the fans, especially their own travelling fans and the difference could not be greater.

I'll say it again, Burnley are a proper football club with proper people in the boardroom. They know the value of goodwill. I hope we can get back to that one day.