Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by warp »

DasNutNock wrote:Potentially losing my job just before my wife goes on maternity leave. But at least I can draw some comfort from the fact that the bloke making that decision is buying a new car.
Smonnie wrote:If you need some help finding something else, let me know.
didn't you sell cars before, Smonnie? i thought you were offering a replacement :D
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

DasNutNock wrote: Cheers boss - will be straight over when I find out more. Wouldn't mind so much if people were at least being a bit more open/honest here, but that's what I get for working for a US firm :)
No problem, happy to help.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Kludgehammer wrote: IMHO, it's a terrible time to go contracting - the tax environment is becoming so hostile to contractors that it's going to be very difficult to make more money than being a permie, with none of the advantages of being a permie. Expect to see HMRC go apeshit with IR35 next year, after mandating it in the public sector this year.
In my view, IR35 won't affect the Private Sector. The Public Sector is already chancing it in a number of areas, and frankly it's an illegal law which limits people's freedom of labour.

They've only done it in PubSec because it's a double whammy - public money being paid out and then lower tax returns on it.

Mine is a contract desk and it's booming.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Traffic wardens. Just **** off. How bad must your life be that you make the decision to become one of these cutns?
Better than having no job, which they would of course be slated for.

Agree with DL about residential parking, when I lived in Sidcup some of the parking was horrific. Saw it on more than one occasion a Ambulance struggling to get through as cars were on either side. Can cause a serious risk.

Not condoning the smarmy traffic wardens at all, but a lot are just going on what they are told.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

DasNutNock wrote:Potentially losing my job just before my wife goes on maternity leave. But at least I can draw some comfort from the fact that the bloke making that decision is buying a new car.
Horrible. Hope things work out for you.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: IMHO, it's a terrible time to go contracting - the tax environment is becoming so hostile to contractors that it's going to be very difficult to make more money than being a permie, with none of the advantages of being a permie. Expect to see HMRC go apeshit with IR35 next year, after mandating it in the public sector this year.
Smonnie wrote: In my view, IR35 won't affect the Private Sector. The Public Sector is already chancing it in a number of areas, and frankly it's an illegal law which limits people's freedom of labour.

They've only done it in PubSec because it's a double whammy - public money being paid out and then lower tax returns on it.

HMRC have a plan (or as close as they ever get to one) to apply IR35 to the private sector as well, rumours were next tax year. It was not mandated on the Public sector, but they tried to place the risk on civil servants (who never want to be responsible for anything) of stating contracts were outside so some CS took the easy route. Where I am they realised that the entire programme would stop so we are all outside IR35, but our contracts and way of working were already assessed as outside. All it will take is a test case and (as usual) HMRC are very likely to lose, so we will end up with further case law to follow when drafting contracts and working practices.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Happyhammer52 wrote:Not condoning the smarmy traffic wardens at all, but a lot are just going on what they are told.
I'm not disputing that, as I've said, the sneaky behaviour and the disgusting attitude is what irritates me.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I was made redundant just before our first child had turned One year old and mortgage rates were 10.54 , things were tight enough in a job so naturally it was a very worrying time - I took a job as a builder's labourer for 9 months then went to work in a saw mill . You're a bright young man not short on confidence , you'll be fine . Best of luck to you .

ps - Maybe it's time you took a chance on that food business venture you were thinking about , sometimes these things happen for a reason .
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Smonnie wrote:In my view, IR35 won't affect the Private Sector. The Public Sector is already chancing it in a number of areas, and frankly it's an illegal law which limits people's freedom of labour.

It's already affecting the private sector. I know 2 people in my current place who have been totally reamed by HMRC over it. They are going after large companies with lots of contractors, and it's expected to get a lot worse next year
irons88
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irons88 »

Driving home from a night shift this morning in thick fog, the number of people driving without their lights on, yet alone fog lights. I almost went into the back of a white van! Idiots.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The families on How To Live Well For Less.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

DasNutNock wrote:The families on How To Live Well For Less.

i feel the need to take a chainsaw to all of them , and thats before i've ever watched an episode , all these programmes are the same , its basic common sense , sadly lacking in so many these days
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

They all seem to be pretty well off - or at least well off enough to spend an absolute fortune on pointless tat. They all seem so vapid and desperate to be buying into a lifestyle that defines them as successful and sexy - a cut above the little people that will never understand the importance of spending £700 a year on aftershave.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

£700 a year?!?

pft, peasants.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Kludgehammer wrote:
IMHO, it's a terrible time to go contracting - the tax environment is becoming so hostile to contractors that it's going to be very difficult to make more money than being a permie, with none of the advantages of being a permie. Expect to see HMRC go apeshit with IR35 next year, after mandating it in the public sector this year.
I agree, the ar*e has well and truly fallen out of the contractor market,not only because of the above but also much cheaper to get a contractor from India or Poland these days.
One area that will continue to pay over the odds is Anti Money laundering in IT, the banks are paying fortunes still for anyone with any knowledge at all, its also easy to pick up.

Was the last time I looked anyway.
Edit: Or project management, another catch all job title for those with no great technical know how that still seem to earn a packet.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Why it's deemed neccessary by newspapers and the news to quote famous people's tweets about stuff.

I don't give a stuff about what David Beckham thinks about the Manchester bombings unless he's saying something disrepectful, which of course he obviously wont, as he isn't a complete ****.

Taylor Swift said this, Jason Manford said that. Who cares? All the hashtags annoy me as well. #prayforinsertnameofcityhere.

It's all a bit overboard. if you want to do something stick your hand in your pocket and donate to the fund set up. Putting a 'i love Manchester' picture up on your profile isn't doing ****.
MooreHurst

Post by MooreHurst »

mushy wrote: I agree, the ar*e has well and truly fallen out of the contractor market,not only because of the above but also much cheaper to get a contractor from India or Poland these days.
One area that will continue to pay over the odds is Anti Money laundering in IT, the banks are paying fortunes still for anyone with any knowledge at all, its also easy to pick up.

Was the last time I looked anyway.
Edit: Or project management, another catch all job title for those with no great technical know how that still seem to earn a packet.
IT Regulatory projects is the place to be also - I could secure a new contract weekly at the moment....
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

People hung up on trivialities.

In the supermarket earlier, some woman was having a right old moan about not getting a few 'nectar points' added on her card. Had she looked up for a moment, she would have seen the newspaper stand just in front of her with headlines about the Manchester dead.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Bellends who write populist dogshit like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40044261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'm annoyed I clicked on that and contributed to it rising in the popularity ranks of BBC articles.

Still, I did enjoy the bit where he wrote, "on behalf of all dads who love your... um... whose daughters' love your music...".

Presumably there was a problem with the B on his keyboard.