what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2598 likes
Total likes: 1730 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Steam Inn , Mallaig
Went out to the ' beer garden ' , a patch of concrete with tables and chairs , took a sip of my pint of Orange & Lemonade and thought my taste buds were failing me , they'd given me fresh orange topped with half a pint of water ! Took it back , the barmaid poured the lemonade out of the tap - I was right , only water was coming out - ' I'll need to change the lemonade so I'll bring your drink out to you - 10 minutes later I go in looking for my drink ' I'll bring it out to you ' - 15 minutes later , still no drink - I go in and ask for a refund .
0/10 .
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

bunk wrote: Bob Dylan playing on the speakers,
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
... sound like hell

No it was knocking on heaven's door 8-)
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

GEORGE'S MEETING PLACE , Birra Moretti ice cold and half price 2.85 yahoo
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Me and Wizzo_66 of this parish painted Bournemouth moderately red on Saturday night. Started in Westbourne, then moved into town. Thought I'd share so as to give a few options for visitors.

The Westbourne, Westbourne. 7/10. Basic large local pub, but decent, stuck with the San Miguel. Good pub for football, also directly opposite the Taj Mahal, excellent curry house.

Camden's, Westbourne. 8/10. 'Music-themed' pub, nice atmos, lovely pint of Kozel in there.

Porterhouse, Westbourne. 9/10. One of the relatively few 'old school' alehouses in the area (no music, no food, nothing really apart from beer); a Ringwood Brewery pub with all of their ales on offer (Ringwood, 49er, Boondoggle, Old Thumper, etc)... unlike some Dorset/Hampshire pubs, this place is very very good at looking after the beer too, so always a lovely drop whichever you choose. Being a heavy-ish night I stuck with Amstel this time though...perfectly good.

Circo Lounge, Westbourne. 8/10. Nice Mediterranean type bar/grill. Went for the Becks in there.

The Goat And Tricycle, Bournemouth. 9/10. One of my favourite pubs in town; fantastic range of about 12 real ales, good few ciders too; another one of the remaining traditional style pubs. Broke ranks and had a pint of their golden ale, which annoyingly yet perhaps unsurprisingly I can't recall the name of. Anyway it was fab, bit like an American IPA but a bit sweeter and heavier. Not that it's any help of course since I can't recall it's name.

Brewhouse Bar And Kitchen, Bournemouth. 8/10. Recently opened...as with all of this franchise, a great range of craft beers but also standards too. Back on the lager here, but a good one...lovely drop of Krombacher. Very busy both inside and out, managed to get the last table in what is apparently Bournemouth's largest beer garden (not the best mind you, that honour goes to Chaplin's in Boscombe).

The Four Horsemen, Bournemouth. 8/10. Finished the evening here; shabby little place but good fun, nice vibe with a couple of girls spinning some cheesy 80's vinyl. 2 or 3 smashing pints of Hopsback (I think that's right?!), really well kept and crisply cold. We resisted the temptation to do what we'd done on our previous visit about 18 months ago after watching us win at the Etihad on the box, ergo toasting our win with a few Maker's Marks. Got proper messy. This time around, after hitting 7 pubs, we decided to be sensible... :wink:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Scarily accurate.

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

That describes the British Queen in Tottenham to a t
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

A couple visited fairly recently.

The Punchbowl, Mayfair - Nice little pub, pretty busy but managed to get a seat at the bar. That said, the Deuchars IPA was pretty bland and tasteless. The Punch Bowl Ale was no better. More of an issue aside from bland beer were the 2 guys who'd clearly had too much nose candy and were amongst the most annoying people I've sadly had to share a room with, absolute c**** the pair of them. Should be a decent pub, sadly let down by really average beer and 2 nobheads. 6/10.

The Misty Moon, Bethnal Green - I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when i first went in. The bar lady was friendly enough, the Guinness was okay and everyone seemed to be getting along just fine. It does however sort of look like a bomb has gone off inside, it's in need of some desperate repairs. Not the worst place I've ever been but it wouldn't run or even walk back. 4/10.

The King's Arms, Bethnal Green - I was only in there for about 15 minutes, but for the single pint it deserves a mention. The Kapow! IPA was sensational, even at around £5.50. Struggling to think of a better beer I've had in recent times. For the beer alone, 8/10.

The Half Moon, Stepney - One of the best 'spoons in London I'd say. Under £10 for a Big Breakfast, bottle of Devils Backbone and a pint of orange juice. Cheap, reliable, staff are friendly (if not a little slow) and none of the clientele seem to want to stab you, contrasting some other London Wetherspoons. 6/10.

The Sun of Camberwell, Camberwell - Very busy on a Thursday evening. The Guinness was pretty good and very well priced. Staff were friendly and there was good mix of people inside. Interior was pretty basic and it was absolutely pissing down outside, but overall it's quite a solid place. 6.5/10.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

woodgreenspur wrote:That describes the British Queen in Tottenham to a t
Wow. Is that place still open? Had no idea it existed.

I always thought i'd been to the bleakest looking pub round that way (Monaghans Tavern).
The Old Man of Storr

The Stein Inn , Waternish , Skye .

We met The Collector and the lovely Mrs Collector at The Stein Inn in Waternish this afternoon , two and a half hours passed like it was 15 minutes - we sat outside mostly as we had paid for premium weather , not often you come to Skye and leave with a tan .
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

bunk wrote:
The Sun of Camberwell, Camberwell - Very busy on a Thursday evening. The Guinness was pretty good and very well priced. Staff were friendly and there was good mix of people inside. Interior was pretty basic and it was absolutely pissing down outside, but overall it's quite a solid place. 6.5/10.
WOW, that's taken me back. I used to go in there from time to time in the late 80s/early 90s (when it was still the Sun and Doves) as my wife was working at the hospital, so if I was a few minutes early picking her up, or more often she was a few minutes late handing over and finishing, I'd nip in for a swift scoop. If I recall it was Courage Directors at the time.

It's almost unrecognisable from the dive it used to be, but at least it was one of the few pubs you could drink in round there and come out alive. Times have changed !!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EugeneSpeed wrote:Wow. Is that place still open? Had no idea it existed.

I always thought i'd been to the bleakest looking pub round that way (Monaghans Tavern).
It's gone as far as I know. Used to drink in there quite a bit when I worked nearby but it I never rated it. I'm sure Spurs fans will say different as it was quite lively on match days.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Any good pubs near the Elephant & Castle?
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Any good pubs near the Elephant & Castle?
The Elephant and Castle is now an Antic pub so always has a few interesting ales on.

I've not been, but have spotted the Beehive out the window of my train and really want to pop in.
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Any good pubs near the Elephant & Castle?
Not the best selection to be honest. The Elephant & Castle I've grown fond of, but it's not a true 'pub' I'd say. It gets pretty busy in the evenings and on weekends, and open till maybe 2 am. As said above, not a bad selection of beers on tap. The Albert Arms is okay, it was closed fairly recently but i think it's reopened. And The Beehive is also pretty decent, if not a little pricey.

The Charlie Chaplin, well the Guinness is about £3.30 but that's pretty much the only positive. The 'spoons is probably on the lower end of London 'spoons. And The Tankard down the Walworth Road i'd run a mile from. I'd say Kennington or Camberwell has a better selection of pubs if in the area.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

EugeneSpeed wrote:
Wow. Is that place still open? Had no idea it existed.

No, long gone.It was a great pub match days.As for Monaghans.........
Estuary
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

The Punchbowl, Mayfair - Nice little pub, pretty busy but managed to get a seat at the bar. That said, the Deuchars IPA was pretty bland and tasteless. The Punch Bowl Ale was no better. More of an issue aside from bland beer were the 2 guys who'd clearly had too much nose candy and were amongst the most annoying people I've sadly had to share a room with, absolute ***** the pair of them. Should be a decent pub, sadly let down by really average beer and 2 nobheads. 6/10.
Good pub, food is nice, shame about the larey beak hounds, there are a lot of ill mannered "Henry's" on that manor, especially since the hedge fund's moved in. It was owned by Fred Foreman, he sold it to Guy Richie, who in turn sold it on. I haven't been in since Fred had it, but there was little to no lareyness then, Fred still gets in there some lunch times if he's got something on in town, he's in his mid 80's now but still looks much as he did.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:The Steam Inn , Mallaig
Went out to the ' beer garden ' , a patch of concrete with tables and chairs , took a sip of my pint of Orange & Lemonade and thought my taste buds were failing me , they'd given me fresh orange topped with half a pint of water ! Took it back , the barmaid poured the lemonade out of the tap - I was right , only water was coming out - ' I'll need to change the lemonade so I'll bring your drink out to you - 10 minutes later I go in looking for my drink ' I'll bring it out to you ' - 15 minutes later , still no drink - I go in and ask for a refund .
0/10 .
What do you expect if you go drinking on the mainland?
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

The Queen Charlotte in Windsor (on Wednesday)

Located up in the cobbled streets behind the Guildhall

Run by a Scouse lad I knew from years ago when I lived in the area.

Nice pub, food looked good (although I didn't eat)

Seating area outside in the cobbled streets

90+ different Gins available served with all sort of fruit / berry's / pepper /herbs etc if you like that sort of thing
Good selection of Rum - my tipple when out
6 cask ales rotated regularly, local punters seemed to enjoy and said they were well kept!

Good music (90's indie, smooth older stuff, bit of old soul) I like !

Not ridiculously priced like a lot of Pubs / Bars in the area.

Good afternoon for me - to catch up etc - but a very nice old pub with a modern twist.

A solid 9 / 10
The Old Man of Storr

The Collector wrote:
What do you expect if you go drinking on the mainland?
First time in around 3-4 years - it was very busy to be fair and hot , don't think Mallaig had seen such temperatures for decades .
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

The White Swan - Hoddesdon ,Herts.
The fella who ran my local in Wood Green has taken it over,so we decided to visit and watch the football there yesterday.
Use to be a haunt of mine when i lived in the area,but haven't been in for many years.
Great pub(always was half decent) Quality pint of IPA
8/10