Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Ozza »

I really don't get this salary noise, hardly the blokes issue what he gets paid and it's not as if he's gone on strike, or doesn't give a f*** when he does play, it's all very bizarre
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Love Big AC and when he's on form I think he's unplayable. Having said that, his body just isn't up to the rigours of PL football, especially as a starter. A signing like Sakho (but an upgrade on him) so we can play on the counter and stretch the opposition's defence would be perfect for us, with AC coming off the bench if and when we need him. He could be so useful whether we're chasing or defending a win, throwing balls into the box or defending corners. If he's happy to be that player then for me it's a no-brainer to keep him.

A problem with hitmen strikers is that they could be fantastic for one team and not so for another, the same with scoring loads of goals one season and none the next - it all depends on how the team is set up and whether they play to their strengths. Last season we played our best football with Sakho / Valencia playing up top and counter attacking, but we can't play that game with AC.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'd sell Carroll as fast as I could If I was in charge if he is to be our first choice striker. He should be a super sub at best. Make no mistake, when we were amazing last year against teams away from home, Carroll didn't feature in them games on the whole. Arsenal away, City away, Liverpool away. Those are the games that I watched when I realised what our team could have been capable of. We were amazing in those games especially due to having a striker like Sakho who gives defenders a much harder time. Keep Carroll as a backup if we must but even then, he is just injured way too much and we need someone with his wages to be available a lot more.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Agree with Cockneyboy above. I keep saying that Andy Carroll would easily be the best plan B in the country. Given his injury record, I believe that he would be okay with coming off the bench or occasionally starting some games in the cup, a few league games, etc. We need to bring in strikers to take the burden off him, both physically and psychologically.

Get rid of Sakho and Calleri, bring in players similar to Batshuayi and Defoe. Batshuayi will be the starting striker, potentially alongside Defoe. Carroll to come off the bench for 30-45 mins per match.

Strikers: Batshuayi, Defoe, Carroll, possibly Ayew, Martinez, Fletcher.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Yes, which is my point
What is the point of keeping Carroll (as first choice), if Bilic doesn't really want to play with that type of striker?
I agree Crouch, but I think I'd want to keep him anyway, we just ned two options of different sorts of players. There has obviously been a lot of talk abotu Defoe coming (which I would be very happy with), but we do also need to bring in a striker of the sort that Bilic seems to be looking for. I'd like to see Carroll as an option for certain games though and off the bench. I personally think that if we get the right players playing off/behind him, then we wouldn't need to change the focus too much game to game.

And I think he could a smiliar job to someone like Llorente at Swansea with quick players getting beyond him.

The bottom line is though that West Ham should be playing at least 40 - 45 games per season. We need 3 strikers to be able to cope with that and I think all of them should be of a high level. If Carroll can play for 10 - 15 of those and be a supersub in others, then I think he is worth his salary, especially over the last 4 or 5 years.

Let's be honest, he's earning less that Keiron Dyer was and he's already played 40 more games for us than Kieron managed.

This has to be about squad balance, and for me, I would rather have expensive players available to come in and do a job up front for us, and utilise some of our younger players such as Burke, Oxford and Fernandes to cover other positions in order to maintain budget management.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I'd have preferred Crouch to AC over the years IF it meant the savings on wages could have gone into acquiring an additional striker. Plus Crouch's adaptability i.e better technical ability, would have been a plus point no doubt. All that dough for a handful of good performances a year is a bad return. Funny how the board love getting value yet in splashing out on AC we did the opposite. I am sure there are many similar players who could have done the same job with less injuries. But I do wonder if anyone would have made a serious bid which AC himself would have gone for over the years anyway considering his injury record. China may be interested but would he go? Ain't gonna find many good pubs and lad banter out there.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Ozza wrote:I really don't get this salary noise, hardly the blokes issue what he gets paid and it's not as if he's gone on strike, or doesn't give a **** when he does play, it's all very bizarre
an issue may be a player of similar ability and better fitness asking for double the wage :D
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Bilic has always maintained it is important to have Carroll on the pitch at the end of the game, both defensively and against tired defences.

If i were the owners I would get Defoe on a free, and a young high profile younger striker as a loan with a view to buy. Iheanacho, Batshuayi, Tammy Abraham, or depending if Mourinho has his Matic, Lukaku, De Bruyne goggles on then Rashford.

That would give us three top strikers, the ability to rotate, and instantly change games when we're chasing a game or looking to close or finish a game off.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

So what was up with Andy at the tail end of last season? I must have missed what the actual injury/problem was.

Do we think/hope he will be fit enough to get a full pre-season under his belt? (this pre-season, not one in 2020!)
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

kenthammer1984 wrote:So what was up with Andy at the tail end of last season? I must have missed what the actual injury/problem was.

Do we think/hope he will be fit enough to get a full pre-season under his belt? (this pre-season, not one in 2020!)
Groin problem wasn't it? I think, and it's just my theory, that once we were safe after the Spuds game they've just left him to get ready for this season. If we'd have needed him in those last few games i think he would've appeared.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

be like a new signing :lol:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:be like a new signing :lol:

He's unplayable when he's on his game.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:be like a new signing :lol:
I love it that AC's 'a new signing' several times each season. The proverbial 'gift that keeps on giving' (as it were)
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Is he going to get in the team when we sign Iheanacho, Giroud and Javier Hernandez?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

ThreeSixes wrote:Is he going to get in the team when we sign Iheanacho, Giroud and Javier Hernandez?
I've heard the Hernandez signing might result in Cresswell dropping to the bench
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

How the hell does that work?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

I think he might be joking.

Has Carroll returned to pre-season training yet?
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

kenthammer1984 wrote:Do we think/hope he will be fit enough to get a full pre-season under his belt?
Question is will we get more than a dozen games from him?
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

If we do manage to sign a more mobile out and out striker then I really hope we don't try and shoe horn Carroll into the team purely because he is fit again.

We were a lot more dangerous when Carroll was used as an impact sub for the last 15/20 minutes or when Bilic felt he was more of a threat (Arse at home).

We really do need some depth because we cannot expect Carroll to do the same job as a Hernandez/Giroud/Iheanacho.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:We really do need some depth because we cannot expect Carroll to do the same job as a Hernandez/Giroud/Iheanacho.
footballer? i agree...