Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

Graza wrote: That's the rub, they've got us. The captive clientele who literally can't go anywhere else.
That's the football fan for you. It's not like we are pissed off with Tesco and so switch to Sainsbury.
West Ham till I die, that's the chant and they know it, they don't care about us because they know we will still keep coming.
Andy.C

Post by Andy.C »

It looks so much better with the concrete bits covered as they have done for the athletics, don't know why we can't do that, it will cost less than to fill up the rollers.
hammer-time

Post by hammer-time »

Pink Palermo-spot on, my thoughts entirely
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Westaam
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Westaam »

YorksHammer wrote:It was an absolute disaster of a plan from day one
Here's a riddle: when is an absolute disaster of a plan from day one an absolute triumph of a plan from day one?

The answer is when an absolute disaster of a plan from day one is the only way to ensure that Spurs don't move to Stratford, either as sole tenants or groundsharing with us in a stadium built for the Olympics with football in mind.

You have to take one step back and see the big picture. For the long-term future of West Ham, the idiots Tessa Jowell and Seb Coe were the best thing that ever happened to us. If more sensible people had been in charge, Spurs wouldn't be building a 61,559 seat stadium in north London right now. They'd be ensconced one tube stop away from West Ham station, in Stratford, either with us or without us.

That's the real tragedy. And its materialisation has been avoided. We should celebrate that.

However perverse it may seem, the stadium foul-up saved West Ham's future.

The board needs to do two things to turn this imperfect migration into a total dream one.

Sustain the team in the league during the next nine years until the lapse of the sell-on clause and second, use the supreme lure of the location and a gap-filled 70,000 capacity to strike a deal with the world's top sovereign wealth fund, ie someone with more roubles then Warren Buffett.

Do that, and a little while later, the team will match any in Europe and the stadium will be transformed. Either incrementally, ie two stands rebuilt closer in to make a proper football stadium, freeing up land on the east side for the additional corporate hospitality that will be needed for the more stellar team on the pitch, or start again from scratch.

When Walter Messi - ohr Stephen Cleese - is scoring the tie's winning goal for us in the Champions League semi-final, in our steaming, passionate cauldron of a touchline-hugging intimate and intense 80,000 seat freeheld home stadium, the memory of these painful early years will fade into pure nothingness, and it will seem absurd, quite asburd, to have considered for even one more moment persisting with the notion that we ought to have stayed at the Boleyn Ground.

Always keep your eyes open when you dream, and may they may come true. :crest:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

LLDC stating this morning that to honour the terms of Uk Athletics & our deals is going to bring a loss of £200m a year.

Now tell me why Lord Coe won't be brought before the nation to be held accountable his 'green Olympics' has disappeared up the wall.

And this is why we won't be seeing quick improvements on the aspects of the ground that matter to us.

It's not sustainable, and I get the feeling Gold & Sullivan are laughing their socks off and looking to reap even greater financial gain as this mess needs bringing under control to their gain.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

F1 Grand Prix there too?
Anyone can come and use our home!
Wonder how long that will delay our home games for
http://www.cityam.com/268444/olympic-st ... -audacious" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Ben wrote:F1 Grand Prix there too?
Anyone can come and use our home!
Wonder how long that will delay our home games for
http://www.cityam.com/268444/olympic-st ... -audacious" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It shouldn't affect us at all.

British GP in early to mid July. If the street circuits in Singapore etc. can do it without encroaching too much on general life, and there is/was talk of a central London based race, which would have to set up and dismantled without affecting daily life, then it shouldn't affect us
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Yeah but I wanna moan about it
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Rio wrote:LLDC stating this morning that to honour the terms of Uk Athletics & our deals is going to bring a loss of £200m a year.

Now tell me why Lord Coe won't be brought before the nation to be held accountable his 'green Olympics' has disappeared up the wall.

And this is why we won't be seeing quick improvements on the aspects of the ground that matter to us.

It's not sustainable, and I get the feeling Gold & Sullivan are laughing their socks off and looking to reap even greater financial gain as this mess needs bringing under control to their gain.
This does look like a very high forecast for one year.

This is all the most perfect storm for the owners of the club. It is very noticeable that over the past couple of months that the LLDC appears to have lost patience or resolve in the stadium. Within a short space if time this will have to be sold on to whoever is intrested. I'd imagine that would basically only leave us a the only suitable fit to buy the place. Mission accomplished by the owners !

The current and future economic forecasts will not allow the public purse to be drained like thiis.
Last edited by Rays Rock on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

The most interesting element of that LLDC report is "The value of the stadium has been impaired to nil"...that means that when the Board put an offer in, the Country will rejoice to be getting an amount for something that has no value, I bet they're preparing the ground for a future sale.

Getting such a prime piece of land for a song, must be beyond all imagination of the Board. I suppose they could then do anything, build a purpose built ground somewhere else, we're giving the fans what they want and sell off the freehold for a mega-sum ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's the white elephant in the room .

Let me guess , the LLDC walk away from everything to do with the stadium in exchange for WHU not having to pony up any dough when sold .

We sell out to unspeakably rich foreign investors .

Unfortunately the land cannot be built on , so we're still stuck there, in a crap ground forever , meanwhile the owner scoots down the road waffling on about "need a new owner to take the club to next level ..." with £500m in his pocket

Have I grasped the plan ok ?
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

the pink palermo wrote:Have I grasped the plan ok ?
Fingers crossed.............
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

That's been the plan all along...

It's not a "bad deal" we have done, it's a very clever one for Sullivan.

I've always said that once the legacy b*llocks had run out of steam and the true costs of all these constant conversations come to light it wouldn't be long before it's sold to "us".

Losing 200m a year and suddenly the stadium is valued at peanuts :lol:

The big giveaway for me was turning up for the first match and there being no segregation between the fans... how long have G&S been involved with football? They knew exactly what would happen and knew the contract meant it wouldn't cost them!
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Pinky you forgot to add that the new owner gets done for tax fraud in his home country, all his money is frozen and we are owned by the banks
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Sold our soul for the cost of a Robert Snodgrass :shock: But think of all the extra fans who get too watch us I hear people say. I seem to recall half season tickets were available every season apart from the last season at the Boleyn. There was ample opportunity for people to get to matches. Now I watch my team surrounded by fans of other teams who go to watch City Superstars and the like. It's just an all round shitey experience.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

[quote="brooking_1980"]The most interesting element of that LLDC report is "The value of the stadium has been impaired to nil"...that means that when the Board put an offer in, the Country will rejoice to be getting an amount for something that has no value, I bet they're preparing the ground for a future sale.

- Surely this just means that they have no plans to sell it and therefore can't put a figure of its worth on the balance sheet?
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

the pink palermo wrote:It's the white elephant in the room .

Let me guess , the LLDC walk away from everything to do with the stadium in exchange for WHU not having to pony up any dough when sold .

We sell out to unspeakably rich foreign investors .

Unfortunately the land cannot be built on , so we're still stuck there, in a crap ground forever , meanwhile the owner scoots down the road waffling on about "need a new owner to take the club to next level ..." with £500m in his pocket

Have I grasped the plan ok ?
Thing is though PP, I'd suspect any potential buyer would do their homework, realise that not too much can be done with the stadium and any potential offer would reflect that ?

Yes, I think that it's very likely we will be sold sooner now due to the Govt having to waive their rights for a percentage but I don't think the Dave's will get anywhere near the amount they think.

Unless of course a new owner was wanting to build elsewhere on the park ???
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The whole thing has just been a property deal from day one .

It's a strange feeling, soon we'll have 4 England players on our books , Carroll, Antonio, Cresswell and Hart , and a fifth one like the guy in the Beatles, Noble , something that would normally fill me with enormous pride but this whole stadium affair has made me feel we really ain't West Ham anymore .

The Arsenal fans killed us with that chant ,the truth hurts .
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Talking to a mate yesterday who is a Leeds fan and he stated how awful the OS looked on TV. Granted he is not been there 'live' but to be fair he is not missing much.

He said to me how could you exchange the Boleyn with it's tight atmosphere to a Athletics stadium which is obviously not suited for football?

I really did not have an answer for him. And that is the crux of the problem, until we renovate the OS to turn into a proper Football stadium or move again, it's never going to feel like 'home'.

The owners have got off lightly with the move and I hate them for taking us there.