Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammerman11 »

who gives a toss what arsenal fans think.

a strong performance this season will wipe it all away and make usdesirable for a takeover.

we are still west ham and always will be where ever we play.

55000 every week cant be wrong.

keep the fath

COYI
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

Nice to see Spurs are being given more public money for their stadium where is the media outcry hey BBC?

They be given around £70million now in public money
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

Prob wrote:Nice to see Spurs are being given more public money for their stadium where is the media outcry hey BBC?

We never will hear anything about it. Spurs are the latest favourites. The press gush over them - why would they criticise ? Would have been nice for Samuel or another Hammer to highlight it though....
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

the pink palermo wrote:Let me guess , the LLDC walk away from everything to do with the stadium
From January 2017:

what may interest him [Khan] is the best of both worlds. Shifting the stadium while retaining the "legacy" glow. It's entirely possible for the LLDC to continue the other venues, community projects and property developments while the burden and risk of the stadium gets shifted

the pink palermo wrote:in exchange for WHU not having to pony up any dough when sold .
From December 2016:

If Sullivan decided to hold off until 2021 the Mayor's slice of a sale would be £0.

In terms of politics, I doubt Khan would be too keen on being the man paying out for the work (how long does it take to install proper retractable seating?) but not being the Mayor who benefits from it all.

Might be worth taking another look at some of those clauses. Quid pro quo

the pink palermo wrote:Have I grasped the plan ok ?
You could be on to something :wink:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

[quote="Believer]Thing is though PP, I'd suspect any potential buyer would do their homework, realise that not too much can be done with the stadium and any potential offer would reflect that[/quote]

Why would any potential new owner want to drastically change anything with the stadium other than further maximising or increasing the corporate offerings.
I wouldn't imagine many outside wallet would concern themselves too much about the gripes of some
fans.
The cheapest and quickest way to reduce the stadium getting criticised would be to buy some top draw playing staff that win more often.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2883 likes
Total likes: 618 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Walter Messi - or Stephen Cleese, we should be all over them.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Honour is due RkS

Hats off
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

Rays Rock wrote:
Why would any potential new owner want to drastically change anything with the stadium other than further maximising or increasing the corporate offerings.
I wouldn't imagine many outside wallet would concern themselves too much about the gripes of some
fans.
The cheapest and quickest way to reduce the stadium getting criticised would be to buy some top draw playing staff that win more often.
I'm just thinking about the track Ray. Retractable seating that isn't built on scaffold would probably cost a fair lump I'd have thought. Whoever buys it ain't goin to want to spend £8m every year to accommodate athletics. They're surely goin to want something a bit more state of the art. By all accounts and Pinky has referenced it a few times, the offerings for the corporate lot leaves a lot to be desired so this would need attention too.

As the season went on, and especially after the Spurs game, the stadium grew on me. My mates were the same. As you say, a winning team in there will make a huge difference and the tweaks required would I suppose be loose change to a multi billionaire.

I'd like to think that our training ground and academy would get some attention as well.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Modern »

Prob wrote:Nice to see Spurs are being given more public money for their stadium where is the media outcry hey BBC?

Has anyone got a link? I can find nothing about this.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

https://haringeydefendcouncilhousingblo ... w-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

RKS and PP. Good, interesting posts.

In simple terms, for a simpleton like myself, what do you feel is the likely scenario going forward? Will we soon buy the ground for virtually nil and will the charlatans soon be able to sell the club on without paying the gov their slice?

I've read conflicting reports of nine more years of that deal, or that it's just until 2021. I suppose what I'm really asking is, is there a realistic chance that we'll be saying goodbye to the owners as they make off with the hundreds of millions they had always intended to? Will we ever see Superstars in an improved Stadium that is our own? Or do I need to prepare myself for the bone chilling possibility of Jack Sullivan owning the club one day?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

In the meantime we need to try and enjoy it as best we can. as has been said a decent team takes away the pain of the bowl,well some of it.

I reckon a lot will change in 5 years. here`s to us owning the bowl and major redevelopment of it!
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Believer wrote: I'm just thinking about the track Ray. Retractable seating that isn't built on scaffold would probably cost a fair lump I'd have thought. Whoever buys it ain't goin to want to spend £8m every year to accommodate athletics. They're surely goin to want something a bit more state of the art. By all accounts and Pinky has referenced it a few times, the offerings for the corporate lot leaves a lot to be desired so this would need attention too.
In slight defence of the LLDC, that scaffolding solution was never the designed finish to various parts of the lower tier.
There was a fully costed and designed system that had been agreed to be engineered and fitted, only for the contractor that was to supply and fit it to go bust. Where i do criticise the LLDC was to not find another engineering company that could take on the design and complete the work.
I can only assume that with our season starting so soon after the contractors pulled out that the LLDC ran out of time. When they ever plan to do this i suspect will be a summer without any major Athletics meetings ie World Champs. The big question is, will the new mayor ever hand over the money needed to pay for this work in order to save fortunes in the future ?
Judging by the wording that comes from the mayors office and now LLDC they have no intention of correcting it. Its the kind of short sighted decision that can be expected by people of public office without business sense.
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

Rays Rock wrote:Where i do criticise the LLDC was to not find another engineering company that could take on the design and complete the work.
I can only assume that with our season starting so soon after the contractors pulled out that the LLDC ran out of time.
Some reports say the temporary solution was as a result of the decision to host Rugby World Cup games in 2015. If that's true, those games will have cost a fortune!
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Prob wrote:https://haringeydefendcouncilhousingblo ... w-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not really sure we should be making to much of a fuss about Spurs getting £30m when we've had £330m spent on us :lol: And most councils help out in some way with stadium building.Id imagine every single new stadium built has had a cash injection from the relevant council.And the whole spurs project will regenerate the local area.In fact was given heads up last year to invest in some property as prices are expected to go through the roof when all the regeneration has been completed over next 5 years or so.Worth looking into if you have any spare cash to invest.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Prob wrote:https://haringeydefendcouncilhousingblo ... w-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regenerate = Kick out those pesky locals
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Defo trying to make it the next Islington.If cross rail 2 happens as well will be a big factor for getting young professionals in to area.Ive taken a punt ,certainly can't see prices going down.If they go up as much as I'm hoping who knows.But very little down side imo.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

With this talk about buying the stadium outright or something alike, then it's worth remembering some pesky laws.

The original plan about handing the stadium over with a £30m leg up from Newham collapsed. They came up with a convoluted loan to avoid obvious state aid complaints.

Anyone wanting to buy it would have to pay the going rate for a stadium like that. Let's call it half a billion.

More likely some deal to, for example, to install proper retracting seats at say £150m for 30%.

Then there's the legal covenant to provide UK athletics with a comparable venue. There's little point carping about how much they pay etc as they have charitable status and we are a private company cited at circa £600-700m owned largely by 2 multi millionaires.

Anyone buying will pay the going rate and the covenant one way or another whatever Brady, Khan, Jack or we want.

I'm still wishing for a large earth tremor or radium leak.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Isn't that what the 150m for the stadium (for example) would cover?

We would be doing them the favour by saving the taxpayer 200m a year... isn't that the whole point of what's mentioned above...

We come to the rescue of the taxpayer :D
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

I've watched the paralympics on the TV thing a couple of times, not because I'm interested in the paralympics (I'm not), but to try and work out what they have done with the temporary seats. I've found it rather confusing, but I think they are running most of the races in front of the East Stand, having completely rebuilt the lower tier to make it smaller ... what do other people think? The camera angles are a bit bizarre, but we never get to see any signs of the corporate bit, except possibly a long range shot. The pundits are shown in what is presumably a corporate lounge, but you can't see much of the stadium behind them.