Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by southbrishammer »

What's the deal with all the speed cameras on 'managed' motorways?

- Do they operate 24 hours a day, or only when there is a restriction less than 70mph in place?
- If the restriction is, say, 40mph, do they adjust to record people going over 40, or do they stick at 70 i.e. is the restriction on the signs advisory or compulsory?
- Do they actually nick everybody caught going over the speed limit, or just the top x%? I've never been caught, although I'm sure I've driven through quite a few above the limit shown, hence my curiosity
- Do all the cameras operate, or are any of them dummies, and if so, can you tell which?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

southbrishammer wrote:What's the deal with all the speed cameras on 'managed' motorways?

- Do they operate 24 hours a day, or only when there is a restriction less than 70mph in place?
- If the restriction is, say, 40mph, do they adjust to record people going over 40, or do they stick at 70 i.e. is the restriction on the signs advisory or compulsory?
- Do they actually nick everybody caught going over the speed limit, or just the top x%? I've never been caught, although I'm sure I've driven through quite a few above the limit shown, hence my curiosity
- Do all the cameras operate, or are any of them dummies, and if so, can you tell which?
They only work when restrictions are in place. I’ve done just under a ton on my bike on a clear M25 at night and not been flashed when there’s no restrictions in place. When there are restrictions, they are set to whatever the restriction is. There’s a percentage allowed depending on the speed restriction but yes, they do work. As do the average speed cameras which I got by this year. The restriction was 50mph and I got done for doing on avaerage 57mph. I was told that they start prosecuting at 57mph.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

The only time you seem to get a clean run seems to be between the hours of about 22:00 and 04:00.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I’ve never ever been able to work that one out. There’s quite a lot of traffic going from four lanes into three around there so that might explain partly but as you say, there’s no obvious reason for it. Doesn’t bother me when I’m on the bike, in the car, it’s infuriating.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

The only time you seem to get a clean run seems to be between the hours of about 22:00 and 04:00.
Congestion around Heathrow.

The other bad bit is the run up to the Dartford Tunnel anticlockwise, which is always slow regardless of day, time or accidents due to the tunnel, too many junctions in a short space of road and a generally poor road layout (short sliproads etc).
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:On the subject of motorways, why does the traffic grind to almost a halt anticlockwise between junctions 13 and 11on the M25, when there's no obvious problem?

Concertina or shockwave effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Cheers sendô and HD1.

I get and understand the knock-on effects, but I do find it strange is there's two lanes to exit for the M3 (for a mile) and J11 isn't any sort of major exit/entry by any stretch of the imagination; it goes to Woking for Christ sake!

The one thing that doesn't really help is the fact that once it starts to snarl up just before J12, you get c***s shooting down the right hand exit lane and then cutting in (maybe one for the irritation thread).
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

With regard to speeding you used to be allowed to go 10% over the limit to allow for "speedo error".
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Who is Jinxed?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Who is Jinxed?
Us most of the time :oops:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ Image
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

How is yawning contagious.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

ageing hammer wrote:How is yawning contagious.
Primeval reaction.
Someone yawns because they're tired. Yawning means they'll take in more oxygen. You brain says 'Hey, that guy's taking in more oxygen. I need to take in more oxygen too so I don't suffocate', so it makes you yawn as well.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I bet not many have read the word "yawn" and not yawned.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

RichieRiv wrote:I bet not many have read the word "yawn" and not yawned.
I just yawned reading this :D
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Probably because it's a bit dull . . . .

Nothing Pavlovian about it.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

ageing hammer wrote:How is yawning contagious.
mirror neurons!
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

view from the shires wrote:With regard to speeding you used to be allowed to go 10% over the limit to allow for "speedo error".
Used to be 10% plus 2 before prosecution. Any less and every defence lawyer would ask for cameras and handheld devices called into question.
Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

So Haribo or was it Harambo, became full of lead...due to nuclear fission or because they shot him?

All very confusing
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
They only work when restrictions are in place. I’ve done just under a ton on my bike on a clear M25 at night and not been flashed when there’s no restrictions in place. When there are restrictions, they are set to whatever the restriction is. There’s a percentage allowed depending on the speed restriction but yes, they do work. As do the average speed cameras which I got by this year. The restriction was 50mph and I got done for doing on avaerage 57mph. I was told that they start prosecuting at 57mph.
Ooo 57 is harsh, they are normally set to 58 . 10% + 2 is the lower end , depending on the force.
as for the other cameras, they are now all the new HADECS cameras, can do 5 lanes in one camera, controlled by a central base, set to a 60 second delay between the sign change and when they start to nick speeders