Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: Tennis Thread 2017 - Queens & Wimbledon

Post by ageing hammer »

last.caress wrote:And that's that.

Greatest of all time, greatest I'll ever see in my lifetime.
I think he has earned that title and in any lifetime.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The man is a machine. Rarely looks flustered, rarely makes high % unforced errors, and still winning slams well into his 30's.

Massive respect to the bloke.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I think that seals it as greatest ever but the niggle at the back of my mind is all those times Nadal mangled him in grand slam finals and not just on clay either.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

White Goodman wrote:I think that seals it as greatest ever but the niggle at the back of my mind is all those times Nadal mangled him in grand slam finals and not just on clay either.
Nadal's successes can be ignored due to the obvious drugs cheating.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

He's far from a favourite of mine but it's impossible to ignore Federer's achievements. I see no reason why he cannot make it 3 out of 4 in this year's slams by winning the US Open in September.

As for Murray, he would do well to take some time out. After his defeat to Querrey at Wimbledon he intimated that were it not a Grand Slam where he was defending his title, he would have probably withdrawn from the event. I am sure he will win another Slam but he could learn a lot from Federer and just play a bit less in the future.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

last time i looked i am sure Nadal was about 6th in the world rankings, now either he or Federer is about to become world number 1 next week.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

kenthammer1984 wrote:last time i looked i am sure Nadal was about 6th in the world rankings, now either he or Federer is about to become world number 1 next week.
There is a method to the madness, it's just's a little bit complicated for people who don't follow the sport closely, and even to them it's a bit clumsy.

Basically your points (over a continuous rolling year) get measured against your points from the same events the previous year. Basically you defend your points each year from each tournament. If you did badly last year (at an event) you have the chance to improve your World Ranking by bettering that performance the following year at the same event.

So, it probably gives a more accurate reflection of the best player over an extended period of time. But it can change very quickly unless there is someone who is burning up the sport over a long period.

There is a "road/race" measurement that just reflects the current yearly position......and people will often quote both when talking about a player.

World No 13......but No 2 in the race.

It's been further complicated by the best 4 players in the World having extended injury lay offs. Which means they have very few points to defend and can rise really quickly with a good run of form.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

The druggie is back to world no.1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40926790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea how he gets away with it.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

wolf359 wrote:The druggie is back to world no.1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40926790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea how he gets away with it.
I've had a google and there isn't much more than speculation, how are you so sure?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I've tracked his career with great interest, and I don't know of any other human that can recover so quickly from serious injury to win grand slams. His game is entirely built around brutal physicality, and he had more than many of his peers to gain from PED use.

It's no secret that the Spanish are no strangers to state doping programmes. Dope testing in tennis is extremely light, as it is in most sports IMO. FWIW, I think Novak's been at it, too.

Here's the question, though - did Lance Armstrong ruin sports by making us cynical, or has he saved them by exposing our naivety?
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

DasNutNock wrote:I've tracked his career with great interest, and I don't know of any other human that can recover so quickly from serious injury to win grand slams. His game is entirely built around brutal physicality, and he had more than many of his peers to gain from PED use.

It's no secret that the Spanish are no strangers to state doping programmes. Dope testing in tennis is extremely light, as it is in most sports IMO. FWIW, I think Novak's been at it, too.

Here's the question, though - did Lance Armstrong ruin sports by making us cynical, or has he saved them by exposing our naivety?
I'm trying to think of other tennis players to compare with. Obviously Federer has come back from a long time out, at such an advanced age, and won almost every big tournament he's entered, this year.

I follow tennis quite closely, and I think that to say his game is entirely based on physicality is very unfair, the way he spins the ball is pretty revolutionary. He might have the biggest biceps, but does he really have a physical advantage over the many guys who are six five and upwards?

I probably don't need to ask your view on Mo...

I think Murray's physical improvement has been greater than either Rafa or Novak, I do question the bias (not that I suspect Murray, just that I don't see the issue with the others).

For me, he (and others) have kind of ruined athletics, cycling, swimming, things that are mostly physical. Skill games like tennis, football, etc, I'm still pretty optimistic/naive.

I do think there was some collective denial going on with Lance, which I was a part of. And maybe the same here. Rafa getting caught would be pretty heartbreaking. Not because I particularly like him, I don't, but it would ruin the golden age of men's tennis, the greatest rivalry ever in the sport, and the hundreds of hours of my life I've spent watching.
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Andy Murray now withdraws from US open. to add to the list of top players currently crocked.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/41063132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chicken Run Supreme

Re: Tennis Thread 2017 - US Open

The final Grand Slam is entering its business end and due to the large number of high profile withdrawals from the Mens competition ( Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic, Kei et al ) there is every possibility of a surprise winner. The seedings have Nadal and Federer lined up to meet in the Semis but Federer has a tough quarter final to navigate first against the unpredictable Del Potro. Shame the seedings and withdrawals have resulted in the two best players of 2017 lining up (potentially) in the Semis rather than the Final.

I am sure 2017 is a year that both Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic will want to put behind them. Murray will see his ranking slide rather quickly unless he returns to winning ways as we are entering the corresponding period of last year when he went on his amazing run of wins that propelled to the No.1 ranking. 2018 will be a big year for both Murray and Djokovic but 2017 has been the year of Nadal and Federer - who would have predicted that 12 months ago?!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Monkey boy in the papers today, complaining that Andy Murray pulled out after the seedings were announced. Something he'd never do, apart from when he did it in 2009.
Chicken Run Supreme

Nadal had no doubt worked out that Murray's withdrawal meant he would be playing Federer in the Semi Final. As for Murray, he left it as late as possible before pulling out because it is a special tournament for him having won his first Grand Slam there and wanted to see if there was any chance of competing.

At Wimbledon Boris Becker suggested Murray take a leave of absence from the game as both Nadal and Federer have both done, coming back better players than when they left. It would now seem that Murray will not play competitively again in 2017 and by the time the Australian Open kicks off in January 2018, Murray might not even be in the top 16. Hopefully he can rest, spend time with his family and recover his form of 2016.

As for the US Open, if Federer gets past Del Potro to face Nadal in the Semi Final, I hope he destroys him.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I've been to the ATP finals every year they've been at the O2. The premise being I'm guarenteed to see at least 2 of the best 8 (10 if injuries dictate) players in the world.

The way they're dropping like flies, I may get a game myself.
Chicken Run Supreme

Federer is in a battle with Del Potro. One set each but Del Potro up a break in the third. Had he mot been as injury prone as Andy Carroll, Del Potro would have surely won more than the single Grand Slam title he has ( US Open ).
This could be a 5 setter.

Updated: Del Potro stuns Federer to win in 4 sets stopping Federer meeting Nadal in the Semi Final. Remarkably, Nadal and Federer have never played each other at the US Open. Del Potro could yet prove to be the winner here , he's done it before and on his day is capable of blowing anyone off the court.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

You've got to love Del Potty...

:scarfer:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

davids cross wrote:You've got to love Del Potty...

:scarfer:
Only if he demolishes that cheating Spanish b*stard.
Chicken Run Supreme

DasNutNock wrote:
Only if he demolishes that cheating Spanish b*stard.
Alas it was not to be. Nadal beats Del Potro in 4 sets and faces Anderson in the Final. Nadal's title then.