US PGA championship on BBC

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

US PGA championship on BBC

Post by mumbles87 »

So the US PGA is on tomorrow on the BBC.. how many people noticed sky loosing it at the last min? BBC have stepped in via the red button can't wait to see

Soul you up for running another prediction comp?

Spieth to win for me.. to get that grand slam before Rory when Rory only had one left and spieth has picked up 3 whilst Rory truly goes off the boil

Should make fantastic viewing
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Re: US PGA championship on BBC

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

They lost the rights 3 days after starting their new golf channel :) Also lots of talk they have could have lost the masters.

US golf is headed to social media, online coverage. Their case is they want to reach as many people as possible (take note R&A) I imagine it means they can package the rights up in more ways to sell bit by bit.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:They lost the rights 3 days after starting their new golf channel :) Also lots of talk they have could have lost the masters.

US golf is headed to social media, online coverage. Their case is they want to reach as many people as possible (take note R&A) I imagine it means they can package the rights up in more ways to sell bit by bit.
even more reason for me not to get sky sports back! they loosing the things I actually want to watch

the masters is rumoured to be going to BT which would be fantastic for me personally as I have BT sport with my BT broadband

BBC for the PGA (the lesser of the 4 majors for me) is fine

shame the BBC lost the open or I would bearly use my dads sky go lol
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

BBC are a joke.

Red button and Standard Definition?

Exhumed Peter Alliss from the local care home?

Do me a favour.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Perhaps if more people stumped up the meagre licence fee and less people paid the outrageous Sky fees the BBC would be able to compete on a more level playing field when 'bidding' for the major sports events.
Frankly, anything ,standard definition, red button, even changing channels a couple of times during the broadcast, is better than bull**** adverts every five minutes .

The more stuff that Sky lose the better, I think it was PP who mentioned elsewhere that Cricket and Golf(?) have lost a lot of following since the BBC lost the rights to broadcast.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

By the time US generated HD has been standards converted and recoded it looks like SD anyway. Like OFT says, any golf is better than no golf.

What is the minimum annual cost to watch golf on Sky? Not additional subs for a golf channel, but for someone who doesn't have Sky at the moment.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Forgive me if Im wrong but doesn't everyone have to fork out the BBC licence fee to watch anything on TV?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

May find a better deal offered but officially is £22 a month for an entertainment package and £18 for the golf channel. So just under £500 for the year
OFT

Post by OFT »

vmixture wrote:Forgive me if Im wrong but doesn't everyone have to fork out the BBC licence fee to watch anything on TV?
In theory yes vmixture but I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere that there is an increasing amount of people not bothering.
Forgive my earlier rant but I'm very defensive of the BBC and believe the £147 to be fantastic VFM
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

SLWO :thup:
V-M

Post by V-M »

OFT wrote: Forgive my earlier rant but I'm very defensive of the BBC and believe the £147 to be fantastic VFM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion so no offence was taken. However, I do disagree, if the BBC took things a little more seriously then maybe they would get a bit more credit. They've just picked up a major championship in a popular spectator sport after screwing up massively with the last one they had. But instead of sticking it on in decent quality on one of their main channels they continue to show repeats of Antiques Roadshow and suchlike whilst hiding the sport away on SD behind the red button.

They really dont do themselves any favours.
OFT

Post by OFT »

I think the BBC problem is the lack of mainstream channels available to them and they are bound to try and provide programming 'for all' Currently they have the World Athletics swapping between BBC 1 and 2 and have only the red button at their disposal for extra sports.

I'm just happy to see any sport available on terrestrial TV and will never subscribe to Sky TV again having given it up some years ago. I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face I'm sure, but I find my interest in sport has deteriorated with it's lack of exposure. F1 for example, was a 'never miss' but I rarely watch it now, even when it is on C4.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

mumbles87 wrote:Soul you up for running another prediction comp?
Haven't one run for this in the past...USPGA always has a feel of being the forgotten about major. If there is interest can run one for next year though.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

isnt it on the red button as the BBC won the rights to show it right at the death ?

assuming they have their programmes planned way in advance and couldnt just slot 6 hours of golf into the schedule

I didnt mind that it was on the red button if im honest - just grateful to watch it on terrestial
would be better if it was in HD though
V-M

Post by V-M »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:isnt it on the red button as the BBC won the rights to show it right at the death ?

assuming they have their programmes planned way in advance and couldnt just slot 6 hours of golf into the schedule

I didnt mind that it was on the red button if im honest - just grateful to watch it on terrestial
would be better if it was in HD though
You are probably right, but I cant see why they cant put old repeats on the red button and swap the golf for HD!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Anyone who wants to watch feature groups is on via YouTube (fantastic hd pictures)

And don't bother with red button if you have a smart tv etc just use iPlayer it's the same coverage but in HD

Come on fowler

Rory imploding again could miss cut
V-M

Post by V-M »

mumbles87 wrote:Anyone who wants to watch feature groups is on via YouTube (fantastic hd pictures)

And don't bother with red button if you have a smart tv etc just use iPlayer it's the same coverage but in HD

Come on fowler

Rory imploding again could miss cut
Will give that a try!